When to retire 30 years or 52 age ?

Round the block again

I got 30 years now at age 52, what's the difference if I retire now than at 55? Cuz all this you're fired stuff makes me nervous, don't do this don't do that, take lunch. Miss the old days!

oldngray

nowhere special
I got 30 years now at age 52, what's the difference if I retire now than at 55? Cuz all this you're fired stuff makes me nervous, don't do this don't do that, take lunch. Miss the old days!

It depends on your local language. My local was the same and the knowledge you could retire at any time took the pressure off. That being said, UPS increased harassment to try to get rid of the older people knowing they would only stay around for so much BS.

oldngray

nowhere special
We can't even do 52 anymore around here. Gotta be 55. Not sure if it's supplemental or national....

My local was 30 at any age, which caused problems with the union because non UPS Teamsters had to be 55. We were covered under UPS insurance but impossible to get clear answers from anybody.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
My local was 30 at any age, which caused problems with the union because non UPS Teamsters had to be 55. We were covered under UPS insurance but impossible to get clear answers from anybody.
We lost that last contract. They offered buyouts for anyone that was close but I know a guy that missed the cut off by two weeks and he had to work 4 more years.

oldngray

nowhere special
I know here that you have to be 52 to get the healthcare but if you retire before age 55 you take a big haircut in your pension.

Trust me, I feel your pain.

Pension is calculated a couple of different ways. One way you lose about 6% per year for every year under 65. That pension is potentially greater if you are older.

The other way is years of service which is independent of age. Less maximum but a guaranteed amount. Last time I checked the break point between the two plans was about age 58.

Pension is calculated a couple of different ways. One way you lose about 6% per year for every year under 65. That pension is potentially greater if you are older.

The other way is years of service which is independent of age. Less maximum but a guaranteed amount. Last time I checked the break point between the two plans was about age 58.
My buddy is 54. If he retires now it will cost him $1000 a month in pension reductions.

oldngray

nowhere special
My buddy is 54. If he retires now it will cost him $1000 a month in pension reductions.

It is about $1000/month per year of eligibility until you hit the max. You want to hang around but you also want to get out of there before you are too crippled. I got out at 52 with 34 years. I would have liked to have waited a bit longer but I wasn't sure I could pass the next DOT physical. My other option would have been to jump on a 22.3 job but I just wanted out of there.

It is about $1000/month per year of eligibility until you hit the max. You want to hang around but you also want to get out of there before you are too crippled. I got out at 52 with 34 years. I would have liked to have waited a bit longer but I wasn't sure I could pass the next DOT physical. My other option would have been to jump on a 22.3 job but I just wanted out of there.
Our pension fund is in the crapper. Not sure what my options are good to be