When to retire 30 years or 52 age ?

Johney

I will be 57 when I retire.

I have my 20 and 25 years of service plaques. It would be nice to also have the 30 but not nice enough to stay 9 more months, when I would be 58.
Wouldn't your monthly payout go up if you did the 30? I mean come on you can't suck it up for 9 more months?

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I will be 57 when I retire.

I have my 20 and 25 years of service plaques. It would be nice to also have the 30 but not nice enough to stay 9 more months, when I would be 58.
When I got my 20 year plaque a few years ago my wife put it up on a bookshelf upstairs and when I saw it I almost pimped slapped her...she said " I thought you might like to display this, might be the only reminder you will have of working once you retire." I said hell no and I think she stuck it in a box somewhere...lol. I will be getting up everyday with a sore back from this slave labor of a job.... that is enough of a lifelong reminder of this job....

Rack em

Made the Podium
When I got my 20 year plaque a few years ago my wife put it up on a bookshelf upstairs and when I saw it I almost pimped slapped her...she said " I thought you might like to display this, might be the only reminder you will have of working once you retire." I said hell no and I think she stuck it in a box somewhere...lol. I will be getting up everyday with a sore back from this slave labor of a job.... that is enough of a lifelong reminder of this job....
Gotta keep your pimp hand strong!

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Backache goes away in a couple of weeks

Coldworld

60 months and counting
With the exception of one retiree, everyone looked younger and better after retiring and us happy.
I've heard many of the ex managers aren't with us anymore.... some having heartattacks or worse.... years of stress.. then there are others who have turned to drugs and don't go outside anymore, their only interaction with others is in the form of random websites where they post mumbling flashbacks of the good ol'days....

Shiftless

I got 30 years now at age 52, what's the difference if I retire now than at 55? Cuz all this you're fired stuff makes me nervous, don't do this don't do that, take lunch. Miss the old days!

I was one of those 30 and OUT guys! I was 49 the last day I worked. Under the western agreement you had to be 50 to get medical. I did that with vacations and sick days to make that happen. I was prepared for that as for years I saved all the days I could.

As "what's the difference at 52 or 55" ? To me! Virtually nothing. Either you are financially ready or your not? Make sure you understand any work after retirement is restricted by the union who pays your annuity.

There are no guaranties! Economy could unwind, your health can take a turn for the worse, many things can happen! Missing life due to working, that is something you can never recover! I have been gone 12 years this Cinco de Mayo and have never looked back to regret that decision. The UPS/Teamster job worked for me! Then again, I started preparing to retire from the first year I got the job so I could retire the first minute I could!

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
Around here, there are many drivers who will hit peer 80 at a very young age of 50 to early fifties and be vested with full pension. How many will actually retire, who knows, but it'll be a nice feeling to know that one can retire if they choose. Personally, I vote for early retirement unless one has a nice easy combo job.

We had a guy do this the Tuesday after Thanksgiving last year. Came in, saw his stop count, went to HR in the back and said "todays the day".

32 years. Went home that day & never came back. Not even for a small party.