When to retire 30 years or 52 age ?

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
I've heard many of the ex managers aren't with us anymore.... some having heartattacks or worse.... years of stress.. then there are others who have turned to drugs and don't go outside anymore, their only interaction with others is in the form of random websites where they post mumbling flashbacks of the good ol'days....

Sad but true. My first OCS left the company at maybe age 50 after 25 years. He was always an alcoholic but he drank himself to death within 3 years of leaving.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Sad but true. My first OCS left the company at maybe age 50 after 25 years. He was always an alcoholic but he drank himself to death within 3 years of leaving.
I know monkeybutt is just crying out for help...I am going to try to show restraint towards him, and I hope you all do the same... you can be a pain in the butt butt, but we are going to take care of you here big guy...I promise!!!!

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I was one of those 30 and OUT guys! I was 49 the last day I worked. Under the western agreement you had to be 50 to get medical. I did that with vacations and sick days to make that happen. I was prepared for that as for years I saved all the days I could.

As "what's the difference at 52 or 55" ? To me! Virtually nothing. Either you are financially ready or your not? Make sure you understand any work after retirement is restricted by the union who pays your annuity.

There are no guaranties! Economy could unwind, your health can take a turn for the worse, many things can happen! Missing life due to working, that is something you can never recover! I have been gone 12 years this Cinco de Mayo and have never looked back to regret that decision. The UPS/Teamster job worked for me! Then again, I started preparing to retire from the first year I got the job so I could retire the first minute I could!
Exactly.... we'll done!!!!

I was a preload sup and to confirm an earlier post. One of the things that disgusted me about working at UPS is yes I was in meetings where they were targeting older workers and trying to harass them to get rid of them. I refused to do so, fortunately I had two 30 years vets on my line and they choose to make me versus break me. I learned more from one of those 30 years vets and he took me under his wing. I learned more from him than my actual supervisor and I also made sure any occasional misload's that they were harassing him on disappeared. For all the griping here about having to Supervise union members is full of crap. I got great production from my line and I never got grieved one time even when I helped if someone was struggling. And my couple years I was there during college I only had to give out one warning letter for non call ins for someone being sick. Again I would have been lost without those 30 year veterans watching my back for me and I in turn took the heat off of them. Because of them my line was when I started the worst producing in the center because the previous supervisor was a d*** and it was one of the top lines by the time I left in terms of hours of production and low misloads. All because I choose to actually be friends with the 30 year vets and they choose to make me.... Just have to get that off my chest if that is ok...

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Thanks, I'll stick around until I'm 55 or if the next year union contract comes out better than what's now.
The best way to get an informed answer is to contact your pension benefit trust and request the retirement pamphlet.

It will have all the info you need about making a decision about when to go out. I haven't read every post here but you could also post what part of the country you are in.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I was a preload sup and to confirm an earlier post. One of the things that disgusted me about working at UPS is yes I was in meetings where they were targeting older workers and trying to harass them to get rid of them. I refused to do so, fortunately I had two 30 years vets on my line and they choose to make me versus break me. I learned more from one of those 30 years vets and he took me under his wing. I learned more from him than my actual supervisor and I also made sure any occasional misload's that they were harassing him on disappeared. For all the griping here about having to Supervise union members is full of crap. I got great production from my line and I never got grieved one time even when I helped if someone was struggling. And my couple years I was there during college I only had to give out one warning letter for non call ins for someone being sick. Again I would have been lost without those 30 year veterans watching my back for me and I in turn took the heat off of them. Because of them my line was when I started the worst producing in the center because the previous supervisor was a d*** and it was one of the top lines by the time I left in terms of hours of production and low misloads. All because I choose to actually be friends with the 30 year vets and they choose to make me.... Just have to get that off my chest if that is ok...
Thank you for your service.... hopefully you are doing better things now... ups is a dead end job for the most part...and Ups has made it that way...

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
If you don't mind working, why retire so soon? Stay, save some money, and live a little with the vacation time.
We have had guys go out in their early 50's because of peer 80 but they all had good plans.

they either had some kind of business on the side, or had rental houses to keep up, working part time jobs at resorts or golf courses. something like that where working after retirement was more fun than not.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
We had a guy do this the Tuesday after Thanksgiving last year. Came in, saw his stop count, went to HR in the back and said "todays the day".

32 years. Went home that day & never came back. Not even for a small party.
That's exactly what I did. My last day , not a soul knew it except for the center manager and HR and I swore each to secrecy. The center manager asked me about having a party and I said " forget it"

i drive by there once in awhile and just shake my head .

wayfair

swollen member
That's exactly what I did. My last day , not a soul knew it except for the center manager and HR and I swore each to secrecy. The center manager asked me about having a party and I said " forget it"

i drive by there once in awhile and just shake my head .

if you were in feeders, why would you have a center manager????????

87brown

Tell the truth be told after listening to a lot of these guys whether you're 52 55 or 57 in the case of central states pension Ponzi scheme what are you waiting for most of these guys say you shouldn't depend upon the Pension that is negotiated in the contract that UPS pays the Teamsters who ultimately steal it so just retire now and file bankruptcy