When you see management doing hourly work

542thruNthru

Stop and ask them to stop doing bargaining work or just not say anything and grieve it?

I remind them that they are doing a bargaining members work and that it's a violation of the contract. After that I note the time beginning to end and anyone around that can be a witness. Don't stop doing your job because they will use that against you.

Then file. Make sure you do it once your shift is over on your own time.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
Be quiet and grieve. Take their hours.

I always inform them. Fair, and above board.

My understanding is that supervisors doing bargaining unit work is actually not against the contract. It is against the contract if they have not exhausted all other options to make service.

By informing them that they are doing bargaining unit work that you are willing to do, you are publicly establishing that they have not exhausted all of said options.

Mr.Blonde

Only way outs inna box
I remind them that they are doing a bargaining members work and that it's a violation of the contract. After that I note the time beginning to end and anyone around that can be a witness. Don't stop doing your job because they will use that against you.

I hope you are a steward.

Dritalin

I always inform them. Fair, and above board.

My understanding is that supervisors doing bargaining unit work is actually not against the contract. It is against the contract if they have not exhausted all other options to make service.

By informing them that they are doing bargaining unit work that you are willing to do, you are publicly establishing that they have not exhausted all of said options.

This is a lot trickier in execution. The burden of proof is on them and it's a pretty high bar. They will almost always just pay out the grievance rather than risk loosing in arbitration. Whoever told you that is dead wrong, if a supervisor is touching boxes it almost always comes down to staffing, which a court would almost always rule against them on.

Zowert

It’s common here, we have so many drivers call in on a regular enough basis that you’ll see a sup out delivering. They literally cannot find an hourly to run the route so they’re forced into it. I never say anything because knowing my sups it’s killing them to have to go out and do what we do every damn day.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
It’s common here, we have so many drivers call in on a regular enough basis that you’ll see a sup out delivering. They literally cannot find an hourly to run the route so they’re forced into it. I never say anything because knowing my sups it’s killing them to have to go out and do what we do every damn day.
I would still file. They have to prove they exhausted all options. 99% of the time they dont try that hard.

Karma...

perhaps you should look in the mirror and ask yourself if you are doing the job that you are getting paid for a great deal of money which is essentially a newspaper route on wheels......a fair days pay for a fair days work.......follow the methods.....do the job......I am very happy........no whining....

perhaps you should look in the mirror and ask yourself if you are doing the job that you are getting paid for a great deal of money which is essentially a newspaper route on wheels......a fair days pay for a fair days work.......follow the methods.....do the job......I am very happy........no whining....

I don’t think the paper boy has to deliver 150lb mattresses every day

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member

Let's play "Spot the non UPSer".

A newspaper route on wheels?
You clearly haven't run a route before.

The drivers that don’t speak up or “whine” are the ones who get :censored2: on every day. You need to supervise management the same way they supervise you. I know my rights and I will make sure they are honored.

When management starts following the contract we’ll stop whining

WorkingAsDirected

Why do supervisors have to be reminded? If a person drives through a red light should they be reminded that its not allowed?

WorkingAsDirected

Its so common for a supervisor to work without consequences that they don't give it a second thought. Maybe if they got a stack of grievances without seeing it coming, they would think twice about working.

Turkleton

There's always women at the pool, baby!
As a FT sup:

nIrYmOq.jpg