Where are the decent paying express courier jobs?

FedexCares

Guys, I am currently looking at express courier jobs in various states. I work at a major hub where anyone that hasn't worked basically 10+ years won't get a courier job in the area due to the demand.

Every week I check out the FT courier openings and email managers to get more specifics about each position. The starting hourly pay for these jobs is lower then I was expecting. I was at least expecting I would make more money as an express courier then as a ground driver, but that really isn't the case.

Basically, the highest I have been quoted for a starting position (outside of Alaska) was 16.00/hour, but most are in the 15.00 range. I have even had a couple hiring managers stating I would start just over 14.00/hour (seems to be stations in the southwest). How the hell are you supposed to support yourself without gov't assistance at just over 14.00/hour?

I am single and am willing to move to the job as need be. My plan is to get the FT express courier at another station, and then after I complete my offer letter I can move back to my home state. FT employees are always above PT employees on the bidding system, so I should be able to move around fairly easily once I get FT status.

Are there any locations out there where express couriers actually start at a decent hourly wage? I haven't been at FedEx for all that long, so I haven't gotten any raises to speak of really. I would also appreciate any advice as to specific job details I should look for when deciding to bid on a certain position. I am assuming I would want a position that works five 8-hour days for the greater chance of overtime. Would a smaller station be better? Are there any specific route questions I should ask the hiring managers?

I appreciate the help

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Welcome aboard FedExCares.

My advice (and that of many others) is look for a different career. Being a courier is a dead end job and one that you will never make a decent wage at.

Sorry to be so blunt but Smith has the deck stacked in his favor so unless you want to spend 35 years to reach top scale and endure loads of frustration along the way, I say there's probably many greener pastures out there especially if you live in or close to a big city.

And don't ask a manager or a hiring manager questions and expect honest answers.

thedownhillEXPRESS

"FedEx Cares" about one thing anymore, PROFITS.
Upper management goals are to turn the average FedEx driver into an always transitioning fast food type/ low wage employee.
Put your energy into finding a reputable employer in the state you wish to move.

dezguy

Express has set starting wages based on what part of the country you want to move to. The higher the cost of living, the higher the starting wage. You'll never get a starting wage above $20/hour, if that's what you're looking for and don't expect to climb the wage ladder very quickly either. I have over ten years with the company and am nowhere near our top out wage and that is with perfect reviews in every year I've worked for Express.

vantexan

I started at the Memphis Hub and it's not only about impossible to transfer into a FT job in Memphis but's also difficult without real seniority to get close in surrounding areas. My goal was to get topped out and then in my last 5 years transfer to a high payscale area to get better pay and beef up my pension. But they terminated the traditional pension and that was that. We got topped out in two years when I first became a courier, now you'll get strung along forever with minimal raises. My advice if you are single is transfer to a major university town in a low cost state like Oklahoma. You'll find cheap studio apartments there. Use a bike or scooter for transport, bus when weather is bad. Save like crazy in your 401k. Doesn't sound like fun but if you are to have any kind of future as a courier you'll have to sacrifice. There's always truck driving.

dezguy

I know guys who have been working for Express for 8-9 years who are still PT and not by choice. FedEx gives them just enough hours to get by so they stay, hoping one day they'll get FT.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
If you really want to find where the decent paying courier (or any hourly) positions at FedEx are, you'll first need to build a time machine that will transport you back to the 1980s.

FedexCares

Welcome aboard FedExCares.

My advice (and that of many others) is look for a different career. Being a courier is a dead end job and one that you will never make a decent wage at.

Sorry to be so blunt but Smith has the deck stacked in his favor so unless you want to spend 35 years to reach top scale and endure loads of frustration along the way, I say there's probably many greener pastures out there especially if you live in or close to a big city.

And don't ask a manager or a hiring manager questions and expect honest answers.

That's the thing, there isn't a whole lot of good jobs out there currently, unless you are skilled in the trades or know someone that can get your foot in the door some place. I even have a bachelors degree from a major state university and it doesn't do much honestly. Of course, it doesn't help that my degree is in something that's next to useless. I was working a state job at the social security/disability office before I started back at fedex making about what I would be make as a FT courier, except I was absolutely miserable (hate sitting in an office all day starting at a computer). I'm pretty sure I would at least enjoy the courier job, as long as I bid to a station with a decent manager which is what I'm trying to do. Oh, and the raises for the previous job, which required a college degree, were pathetic as well. The grass isn't always greener unfortunately.

Keystone

FedexCares, Have you ever thought of a job in law enforcement? You have a degree and would just need to go and pass an academy. No desk job!!! Although the paperwork can suck, the wages aren't bad, and neither is retirement and benefits. Just a thought....best of luck!

CJinx

If you really want to find where the decent paying courier (or any hourly) positions at FedEx are, you'll first need to build a time machine that will transport you back to the 1980s.
Or get off the road and into station operations.

Artee

Not sure if this is still the case, but if you want to be a topped out courier join AIM(or whatever is called now days) and become a manager. After a year step back down to a courier position. When you go from a manager to a courier position you go in topped out. Then again maybe you will like management. They start you out at $62.5K. Not a whole lot, but more than you are making now. The raises suck. The hours are just as bad. Unless you can get over to AGFS, being a DGO manager sucks. But man up for a year and get your top out courier job.

DRAisawesome

I hope I'm not repeating anyone but here is my opinion. If you are willing to move, use your 4yr degree and move. Yes Fedex isn't a bad starting pay job but from day one you will not progress. No pay scale or guaranteed raises. If you transfer to a higher wage market and transfer back to your home area and it's a lower market. You indeed will be taking a pay cut. I was you 8 years ago and was maybe dumb to think that I would be at 20 bucks an hour. I'm 70 cents above a new hire. If you go into it knowing that then fine. Just don't expect much and yes you will be pushed to perform flawlessly and everything is blamed on the drivers. That's my two cents. Thanks

hypo hanna

That's the thing, there isn't a whole lot of good jobs out there currently, unless you are skilled in the trades or know someone that can get your foot in the door some place. I even have a bachelors degree from a major state university and it doesn't do much honestly. Of course, it doesn't help that my degree is in something that's next to useless. I was working a state job at the social security/disability office before I started back at fedex making about what I would be make as a FT courier, except I was absolutely miserable (hate sitting in an office all day starting at a computer). I'm pretty sure I would at least enjoy the courier job, as long as I bid to a station with a decent manager which is what I'm trying to do. Oh, and the raises for the previous job, which required a college degree, were pathetic as well. The grass isn't always greener unfortunately.
Not a lot of decent managers left that you can work for. For every good one I'd say there are three incompetent ones. With the turnover in their ranks plus the times they get shuffled from station to station, you more then likely going to be working for a bad one.
I second the earlier suggestion. Find a job in the booming oil fields. The Dakota's, Texas or Pennsylvania. If you are young with no attachments that's the place to make a lot of fast money. Crappy McJobs like FedEx courier will still be here when the fracking boom ends.