Where can I be trained to drive a box truck?

mobileone

I live near Cleveland, OH.

I would like to work for UPS as a delivery driver.

But UPS requires experience driving box trucks. I have none.

Where can I get this experience?

Thank you for your help.

T

Turdferguson

I live near Cleveland, OH.

I would like to work for UPS as a delivery driver.

But UPS requires experience driving box trucks. I have none.

Where can I get this experience?

Thank you for your help.

It has been my experience that all the training you will require, UPS will provide you with .I have never known box truck experience to be a requirement for employment at UPS.
Good luck in your job search

upschuck

Where did you hear that you needed driving experience?

upload_2015-10-7_17-50-20.png

I see nowhere where box truck experience in necessary.

Feeders require experience, but that is in no way what you are asking.

mobileone

I applied to work for UPS as a delivery driver.

They asked if I had experience driving a box truck. I said no.

The conversation was over.

UPS will not train people to drive their box trucks.

JL 0513

That is a very odd encounter. I've never heard of HR asking about "box truck" experience. UPS doesn't even call them trucks, never mind box trucks.

The only driving skill they ask is the ability to drive a manual transmission. UPS is one of the only companies, if not the only, to still be using manual package cars or box trucks. You'll never find one to practice on outside of UPS. The key is to just be a good stick shift driver (on personal cars) and if it makes you feel better rent a uHaul to get the feel of a large vehicle.

In most cases, driving for UPS is a 3-10 year waiting period working part time in the building.

That is a very odd encounter. I've never heard of HR asking about "box truck" experience. UPS doesn't even call them trucks, never mind box trucks.

The only driving skill they ask is the ability to drive a manual transmission. UPS is one of the only companies, if not the only, to still be using manual package cars or box trucks. You'll never find one to practice on outside of UPS. The key is to just be a good stick shift driver (on personal cars) and if it makes you feel better rent a uHaul to get the feel of a large vehicle.

In most cases, driving for UPS is a 3-10 year waiting period working part time in the building.
maybe they are talking about rentals for peak?

bbsam

Staff member

Rent a Penske or Ryder and go find some rural roads. Have fun. Get the extra insurance.

mrbrownstone

I am driver and during my interview only a few years ago I was asked by HR if I had any commercial/large vehicle driving experience.

At that time I was applying for a part time job position. Anyway long story short, I was asked a similar question.