Where do you see FedEx in 5 years? (ISP specifically, but not limited)

The Youngin' Of It All

Been thinking long and hard about this one lately. Been reading about a lot of problems many people across the nation are having (finding drivers, load qualities, etc.) I guess my question to everyone is where do you see this company heading in 5 years? Will ISP still be around or is it another derail until they finally realize they have to do away with it once and for all? We didn't go Orange for no reason. The days of no benefits and low pay can't last too much longer under these conditions and I do as much as I can for my own guys before myself each and every single day.

To elaborate where my building stands, we have been receiving multiple 27's from station management looking to cover their backs and pinning it on us without even notifying us, which I think is wrong personally since it affects our CSA. I've been monitoring my service every single day from here on out and follow up with any thing I find sketchy immediately. Drivers are getting fed up between oversize and load issues (both Ground and HD) and are very close to walking. Drivers wanting more money which we can't give. What more can we do to provide stability and reassurance that we are able to fix it for them when management won't fix their problems? Then blame us and take our contract if a driver walks and you can't get no resources in place because they want to fiddle around with the process... For some drivers it isn't even a money issue. Is there to be a fallout or strike from this model sooner or later? Can't blame the contractor if all the drivers start running the show from multiple ISP's and calling shots.

Again, this is just observation from what's been going on in my building. I'm not looking at calling anyone out how they run their business or any of that. I'm just asking for insight on what people feel the end game is with FedEx once and for all. It's just interesting what I see and hear from other employees every day who aren't my own.

MAKAVELI

Been thinking long and hard about this one lately. Been reading about a lot of problems many people across the nation are having (finding drivers, load qualities, etc.) I guess my question to everyone is where do you see this company heading in 5 years? Will ISP still be around or is it another derail until they finally realize they have to do away with it once and for all? We didn't go Orange for no reason. The days of no benefits and low pay can't last too much longer under these conditions and I do as much as I can for my own guys before myself each and every single day.

To elaborate where my building stands, we have been receiving multiple 27's from station management looking to cover their backs and pinning it on us without even notifying us, which I think is wrong personally since it affects our CSA. I've been monitoring my service every single day from here on out and follow up with any thing I find sketchy immediately. Drivers are getting fed up between oversize and load issues (both Ground and HD) and are very close to walking. Drivers wanting more money which we can't give. What more can we do to provide stability and reassurance that we are able to fix it for them when management won't fix their problems? Then blame us and take our contract if a driver walks and you can't get no resources in place because they want to fiddle around with the process... For some drivers it isn't even a money issue. Is there to be a fallout or strike from this model sooner or later? Can't blame the contractor if all the drivers start running the show from multiple ISP's and calling shots.

Again, this is just observation from what's been going on in my building. I'm not looking at calling anyone out how they run their business or any of that. I'm just asking for insight on what people feel the end game is with FedEx once and for all. It's just interesting what I see and hear from other employees every day who aren't my own.
Express and Ground combined as all employees.

bacha29

A honest question deserves an honest answer.
Roadway Package System was designed to be a strictly business to business carrier serving a niche market . When Fat Freddy got a hold of it he tried to make it become all things to all people and serve multiple markets. It was never designed for that and fractures in the network are likely to become more numerous.
The simple fact is they make all their money off of Ground and therefore a consolidated all employee union represented work force will be the option of the last resort.
Now, what does all freight have to first pass through?...The hubs. Today, what new party is coming into market?....The investor class. Lawyers, bankers, private speculators etc.
It would therefore appear that one option might be available . X maintains control over the hubs and line haul operations. The investor class will take it from there. They will build their own terminals or more likely take control of existing terminals and their final mile operations which will include terminal personnel vehicles and delivery drivers.
XG will maintain full control over the things that matter, rid itself of a headache it doesn't need while preserving a high percentage if not all of it's original margins
Where do the P&D contractors fit into all this?..... Since when did they ever matter ?

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
A honest question deserves an honest answer.
Roadway Package System was designed to be a strictly business to business carrier serving a niche market . When Fat Freddy got a hold of it he tried to make it become all things to all people and serve multiple markets. It was never designed for that and fractures in the network are likely to become more numerous.
Fred always tries to copy UPS unless it means anything that benefits the employee. Maybe his professor at Yale should have gave him a D instead of a C.

Oldfart

Fred always tries to copy UPS unless it means anything that benefits the employee. Maybe his professor at Yale should have gave him a D instead of a C.
Copy UPS?

Our operations are nothing alike. They have 1 air hub. We have multiple. They combine air and ground. We separate them unless the doomsday people are correct. Whole UPS gets paid more, their employees are treated like dogs and never see their kids because of the late start time every day. I have 2 package car drivers on my street. They tell me they are lucky to get off by 8pm and I see their wives cutting the yard while I cut mine at 5 pm. I will take my COLD a/c and earlier start time any day. I fail to see many similarities between our operation and UPS

Cactus

Copy UPS?

Our operations are nothing alike. They have 1 air hub. We have multiple. They combine air and ground. We separate them unless the doomsday people are correct. Whole UPS gets paid more, their employees are treated like dogs and never see their kids because of the late start time every day. I have 2 package car drivers on my street. They tell me they are lucky to get off by 8pm and I see their wives cutting the yard while I cut mine at 5 pm. I will take my COLD a/c and earlier start time any day. I fail to see many similarities between our operation and UPS
How about Saturday service, COD, Early AM/First Overnight, treat hourlies like crap. Oh yeah except for you golden boy. Enjoy your air conditioned vehicle because the fleet manager in your district may send it off to Kentucky tomorrow, leaving you with some piece of crap spare that has three months worth of garbage still in it with no A/C then what are you gonna do about it?

And as far as your early start time goes, some clueless engineer will sooner or later mess that up for you too. And you’ll get more stops as an added bonus. Bummer!

instiches

Not sure, but if there's any indication by the way they are continuing to cut contractor's pay through negotiations, they will continue to get :censored2:tier service and :censored2:tier safety results. And it will eventually blow up in their face.

Their thinking is so completely backwards. Don't try to :censored2:ing tell me that growth solves everything, when you keep cutting my gross revenue per stop. :censored2: them.

Oldfart

How about Saturday service, COD, Early AM/First Overnight, treat hourlies like crap. Oh yeah except for you golden boy. Enjoy your air conditioned vehicle because the fleet manager in your district may send it off to Kentucky tomorrow, leaving you with some piece of crap spare that has three months worth of garbage still in it with no A/C then what are you gonna do about it?

And as far as your early start time goes, some clueless engineer will sooner or later mess that up for you too. And you’ll get more stops as an added bonus. Bummer!
We started the overnight business. We started Saturday Service. We started Saturday pu. We took COD to the next level with 2 day turnaround. UPS used to hold funds 14 days. In the old days UPS delivered customer supplies for us. That ended when they started their overnight plan.

We beat them to international service. Moved commit time from noon to 10.30. Looks like UPS is following us.

Our start time is roughly the same as its been for 25 or so years. Try again with doom and gloom

My mechanic keeps me in cold ac. Any truck I get he takes care of for me. My Christmas and birthday gift cards pay huge dividends.

Last edited:

bacha29

I can't speak for you guys but as for me I refuse to engage OF. There have been some excellent topics for discussion come up recently. Topics concerning why X dumped off it's pension obligations to a certain group of retirees but not all of it's retirees and the financial strength of the insurer who took the business and why they took it.
This morning another good question was brought up regarding what the XG business model may look like in the next 5 years. OF has no interest in these matters and therefore makes no attempt to uncover as much information as can be made available regarding these matters.
Look X is a publicly traded company. It can't hide everything from you. They just don't make it easy for you to find it . Nevertheless I and I'm sure all of the independent thinking other participants in this forum will not stop looking for answers and all of the personal attacks in the world including the generous helping that comes courtesy of OF will not stop us.

Cactus

My mechanic keeps me in cold ac. Any truck I get he takes care of for me. My Christmas and birthday gift cards pay huge dividends.
Well I must tell you that the district fleet manager has a lot more power concerning vehicles. All the bribing you do with your mechanic may be all for naught one day. And sooner that you think.

As far as a consistant start time for 25 years, that’s a laugh.

Oldfart

Well I must tell you that the district fleet manager has a lot more power concerning vehicles. All the bribing you do with your mechanic may be all for naught one day. And sooner that you think.

So fleet manager will prohibit the mechanic from fixing my air?. Never heard that before. Our start times move around about 10 minutes week to week but we stay slammed so its actually earlier now than its been in a while

SolidWoodPanel

Probably the Greatest American Alive
You know Fred has killed people before. It's public information. Be careful what you say.

Oldfart

Maybe your manager changes your start time due to poor productivity on the sort. My manger weeds out the bad workers and starts them late. Must be your situation as well. Bummer

Cactus

Maybe your manager changes your start time due to poor productivity on the sort. My manger weeds out the bad workers and starts them late. Must be your situation as well. Bummer
He ain't my manager anymore. I'm retired now but I've told you that before. Your memory appears to be rather poor.

Have fun at work tomorrow.

Oldfart

He ain't my manager anymore. I'm retired now but I've told you that before. Your memory appears to be rather poor.

Have fun at work tomorrow.
Yet you stay on here making predictions and statements about situations you know nothing about. Why should I remember you are retired? Not important enough to waste my time.

Me work tomorrow? Not hardly.

It's Allstar race week in Charlotte and the 600 Memorial Day weekend. Hanging out in Charlotte and living the good life. Gonna visit Biltmore again next week before getting ready for The Coke 600.

Last edited:

Cactus

Yet you stay on here making predictions and statements about situations you know nothing about. Why should I remember you are retired? Not important enough to waste my time.

Me work tomorrow? Not hardly.

It's Allstar race week in Charlotte and the 600 Memorial Day weekend. Hanging out in Charlotte and living the good life. Gonna visit Biltmore again next week before getting ready for The Coke 600.
And I’m just thrilled.