Where does it all end?

22.34life

At our local meeting today our President talked about ups staying competitive and what that meant.he said Saturday operations were here and sunday was just around the corner and I just thought where does it all end.if Amazon delivers 24/7 then we must.while I know that weekends will be on different schedules and that means no one will be forced to work 6 or 7 days I just can't help but wonder as a company when do we draw a line and say no more. Chick-fil-a competes against fast food chains that operate 24/7 and yet they close at 10pm and closed on Sunday and they are one of the most profitable fast food chains in the country.i see a future where we get 2 holidays a year, thanksgiving and Christmas day 7 day operations and whatever else our competitors do.are we ok we this?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
It's a capitalist economy, if our competition works Sunday then we'll work Sunday too we really don't have much choice if we want to stay in business. In feeders we already have Tue-Sat and Sun-Thu bids, the way I look at it it just offers more opportunity for people who want to work a different schedule.

watdaflock?

Chick-fil-a competes against fast food chains that operate 24/7 and yet they close at 10pm and closed on Sunday and they are one of the most profitable fast food chains in the country.

Chick-fil-a is the most profitable because its average sales are the highest among fast food restaurants and has the best drive thru service of any competitor.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Saturday operations won't be profitable, so I doubt we will start delivering on Sunday's too.

The same was said about Second Day Air, Next Day Air, and EAMs, all of which have proven to be smart business moves.

There will be hiccups at first but over time Saturday ground will be one of our smartest business moves.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Chick-fil-a is the most profitable because its average sales are the highest among fast food restaurants and has the best drive thru service of any competitor.
yeah, but most of their food actually sucks.......I will give their basic chicken sandwich a 'pass', but it won't get me to their store. I can get a better chicken sandwich at Carls.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
The same was said about Second Day Air, Next Day Air, and EAMs, all of which have proven to be smart business moves.

There will be hiccups at first but over time Saturday ground will be one of our smartest business moves.
All services which we wouldn't be making money on if people didn't pay a premium for them.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
At our local meeting today our President talked about ups staying competitive and what that meant.he said Saturday operations were here and sunday was just around the corner and I just thought where does it all end.if Amazon delivers 24/7 then we must.while I know that weekends will be on different schedules and that means no one will be forced to work 6 or 7 days I just can't help but wonder as a company when do we draw a line and say no more. Chick-fil-a competes against fast food chains that operate 24/7 and yet they close at 10pm and closed on Sunday and they are one of the most profitable fast food chains in the country.i see a future where we get 2 holidays a year, thanksgiving and Christmas day 7 day operations and whatever else our competitors do.are we ok we this?

Regardless, you are still only going to work 5 days !!!!
UPS will be forced into hiring more people because they will not want to pay you the 6th punch.
More new hires mean more money infused into your pension fund.
There should have been balloons and cake at your local meeting, not doom and gloom.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
We will be delivering on Sunday during peak within the next 5 years more than likely. Why? Because that's the only way we will be able to move the volume thru our old centers that were too small 25 years ago.

Coldworld

60 months and counting

When did you become a business analyst for ups???? Well, they aren't that smart... they had air back in the 20's or 30's but canned it... not smart since if they would have kept it up we probably wouldn't have had a FedEx to deal with today....so you are wrong about that..

Coldworld

60 months and counting
We will be delivering on Sunday during peak within the next 5 years more than likely. Why? Because that's the only way we will be able to move the volume thru our old centers that were too small 25 years ago.
Exactly... but they have been updating SOME buildings they feel are "outgrowned"...but I guess it's just easier, and more classy to add a beat up trailer to the end of an existing building with holes cut out for loading package cars.... I highly doubt FedEx or the post office do this....lol

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
yoh r correct, if they upgraded their buildings and equipment it would run smoother

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Exactly... but they have been updating SOME buildings they feel are "outgrowned"...but I guess it's just easier, and more classy to add a beat up trailer to the end of an existing building with holes cut out for loading package cars.... I highly doubt FedEx or the post office do this....lol
I understand it though.

If you ran a business how much money would you spend for 1 months worth of capacity?