Where have all the shielded trailers gone?

barnyard

KTM rider
If get your point but they pull nice, I pulled a brand new one last year and it was smooth! It's hard to believe they screw up so much with how nice their equipment is.

Plus the handles double as locks to lock the doors to the side of the trailer when they are opened. Much nicer than some baling wire or a hub snake to tie the door open.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
D2A097F1-8ABC-48FF-9294-57D53E8B522C.jpeg
I have pulled a couple of Swift trailers this week. As soon as I snapped onto them, I felt dumber.
I earned the badge Of shame this week !!

over9five

Staff member
See some of the Feds on these? If you can find them (sometimes theyre on the side of the trailer, I found one on the landing gear unit), you need to go back to the cab and find your glasses to read them..

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
See some of the Feds on these? If you can find them (sometimes theyre on the side of the trailer, I found one on the landing gear unit), you need to go back to the cab and find your glasses to read them..

Have you had a blank one yet? I think they fill them out with a pen and the sun or weather makes the writing disappear. Both times I've had it happen I could use a flashlight from an angle to see the indentation from the pen and get a date.

I had one earlier this week and all I could make out was 19 for the year, so at least I knew it was current. This one is from a ZZZ that had an outside inspection done. If I remember correctly the inspection was only 2 weeks old when I got it, the shop had to log in and see when the inspection was completed.

Resized_20190719_042049.jpeg

Last edited:

Indecisi0n

Have you had a blank one yet? I think they fill them out with a pen and the sun or weather makes the writing disappear. Both times I've had it happen I could use a flashlight from an angle to see the indentation from the pen and get a date.

I had one earlier this week and all I could make out was 19 for the year, so at least I knew it was current. This one is from a ZZZ that had an outside inspection done. If I remember correctly the inspection was only 2 weeks old when I got it, the shop had to log in and see when the inspection was completed.

View attachment 276572
These are easy . If it's going to a location you like just get your pen and fill it out . A place you don't like? No fed, refuse the pull.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
That "smooth" is probably due to the air ride suspension on the trailer...something ours will never have.
When I first came to feeders one my training sups told me that UPS would never buy tractors with automatic transmissions. Never say never.

terry mac

I was told a couple years ago, the new ups trailers have very accurate gps units on them. so these trailers are given to contract drivers, so these trailers don't disappear into the dessert or mexico

barnyard

KTM rider
That "smooth" is probably due to the air ride suspension on the trailer...something ours will never have.
I used to work with a guy that said, "Given the choice between an air ride tractor or an air ride trailer, always take the air ride trailer. Way smoother ride."

Having air ride tractor and trailer, plus a twin screw tractor is about the smoothest ride I have had yet.

I started peak with a rental Volvo. Possibly the quietest tractor I have had. Nice to drive, all the controls were well-placed and it had a bluetooth radio. Great power until the coolant sensor started failing intermittently. Penske would not fix it at our building, so I had to trade it for another rental. An International with 1/3 the miles. Good power, but loud. And what is up with the twist shift on the steering column?!?!?! I cannot imagine that that is a super durable part.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
Great power until the coolant sensor started failing intermittently

We have me Kenworth tractors that eat antifreeze... You sure it wasn't just a little low? They will flash a check engine light and stop engine warnings intermittently until you add more coolant.

I like the twist shift, especially on the 12 speeds. We've had them for years and have never had one go bad. I especially like the engine brake being integrated into the assembly.

I had a 10 speed International for part of peek and would have rather had a KW CNG. The International has no leg room and the 10 speeds are really jerky when taking off, or at least the ones I drove were. Ours also had no power.

barnyard

KTM rider
You sure it wasn't just a little low

I had it for a week and it was intermittent the whole time. I pretripped it every day and the coolant was right at the 'max cool' line the whole week. I carried a jug of coolant and checked it at every turnaround the 1st day. The power derating was enough that on slight inclines, I would slow to 45-55 mph. When it worked, it had fantastic power. Penske fixed it and I saw the guy that got it after it was fixed. He loved it.

When I was pulling a full set or a full 53, I start in low in the International. Starts a lot smoother.