Where to Bid for driver job...

BigBrownTown

I know i'm probably just not looking in the right places. What is the process to bid for a job as a driver? Where do I start and how do I proceed?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I know i'm probably just not looking in the right places. What is the process to bid for a job as a driver? Where do I start and how do I proceed?

You need to find out where they post the bid sheets in your center/hub. You then need to read the bid sheets to see what the qualifications are. If you meet their criteria you then sign the bid sheet(s). Jobs are awarded on a seniority basis to those who are qualified for the position(s).

BigBrownTown

You need to find out where they post the bid sheets in your center/hub. You then need to read the bid sheets to see what the qualifications are. If you meet their criteria you then sign the bid sheet(s). Jobs are awarded on a seniority basis to those who are qualified for the position(s).

Thanks!

MendozaJ

Ah, so its similar to a list for double shift and things of that nature.

Not quite. I simplified the procedure too much. In my hub it's not an actual list, but a form you fill out similar to the online application from which the list is generated. Every place is different, that's why you should ask your steward.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Sign the bid sheets. If you don't know where it is then you need to ask someone at your building.

TTKU

barnyard

KTM rider
Ask you shop steward. In my building, you can only bid on a driving job when the bid sheet is posted. There is no list, no intent paper or anything like that. Just a green sheet that a PT employee signs to go FT that is only posted when there is a FT opening.

Cementups

Box Monkey

To add to this, sign EVERY bid even if you think you aren't qualified for it. We get bids that say they are for FTers only but if no FTer signs it then it would get awarded to the top PTer that signed it. And even if you sign a bid that someone with more seniority signed, sign it anyway. Just because they signed it doesn't mean they will take it. Some people just sign bids to sign bids with no intention of ever actually taking it.

SIGN EVERYTHING!!!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

To add to this, sign EVERY bid even if you think you aren't qualified for it. We get bids that say they are for FTers only but if no FTer signs it then it would get awarded to the top PTer that signed it. And even if you sign a bid that someone with more seniority signed, sign it anyway. Just because they signed it doesn't mean they will take it. Some people just sign bids to sign bids with no intention of ever actually taking it.

SIGN EVERYTHING!!!

I would think that if they post a bid sheet specifically for FTers and no FTers sign it that they would have to post a new bid sheet allowing PTers to sign.

TheKid99

I would think that if they post a bid sheet specifically for FTers and no FTers sign it that they would have to post a new bid sheet allowing PTers to sign.

Correct

I signed a bid before and it was only for Full time employees and my name got marked off with a black marker

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I disagree. Here, if I sign a bid for a route, win the bid and decide I do not want it, I cannot sign another bid for a year. I only sign bids on routes that I want to work.

This is the way it should be throughout the company. Often times if a senior driver signs a bid sheet the younger drivers won't even bother and would then be out of luck if the senior driver passes on the bid.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I disagree. Here, if I sign a bid for a route, win the bid and decide I do not want it, I cannot sign another bid for a year. I only sign bids on routes that I want to work.

We can sign all the bids we want but we can only change routes twice in one year's time.

BigBrownTown

So...asked my steward. Didn't get quite the answer I expected or wanted. He said that our hub was too large, he didn't knowwhere to specifically bid for Driver here and that "I wouldn't be interested in that job anyways.." but he is living up to his reputation at least..

Special UPS Operator

Hi guys I already have my CDL with all endorsements. I am hired as a pt package handler. The lady in hr told me once you start you will have to fill out a driver intention form/intent to drive form.

What is the difference between this form and a bid list. Which one is quicker??

Also I am going to be working in Addison, IL facility so if any of you work there already hmu.

Also going to make a thread on this.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Hi guys I already have my CDL with all endorsements. I am hired as a pt package handler. The lady in hr told me once you start you will have to fill out a driver intention form/intent to drive form.

What is the difference between this form and a bid list. Which one is quicker??

Also I am going to be working in Addison, IL facility so if any of you work there already hmu.

Also going to make a thread on this.

How many times are you going to ask?

You won’t be able to sign any bid until you get through probation. Then, it might be quite a while before you have enough seniority to win a bid.

PT Car Washer

How many times are you going to ask?

You won’t be able to sign any bid until you get through probation. Then, it might be quite a while before you have enough seniority to win a bid.
I think you can sign a driver bid before completing probation. The way they are hiring drivers at my building you would have a good chance of driving before Peak.