Who are the women drivers???

Upslady20

Ok so who are the women drivers on here.. I know tooner, helenofcalifornia and I believe moreluck are all women. And I can now add dillifgaf to that list.. I am sorry I didn't realize you were a woman until the other day.. I am dense sometimes..
It is hard to tell with the screen names..:confused2:

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09
me, 21 years 57 years old will retire next year, as soon as I am eligible. 5 foot 3 115 lbs. Just didn't want people to think I'm some gorilla because I've stuck it out this long.

me, 21 years 57 years old will retire next year, as soon as I am eligible. 5 foot 3 115 lbs. Just didn't want people to think I'm some gorilla because I've stuck it out this long.
WE have little girl (OK woman) about your size that just made seniority a few months ago, that gal is a go-getter. Moves like a lightning bolt and doesn't ask for help from any one. Just the other day I was running a rural route adjacent the the in-town route she was on. I had a RR box# package that we always leave where the customer works as it is a hard to get too country stop. I saw our gal at a stop as I was passing through town and asked her if she would drop off the RR package where the customer works as it was a bulk stop for her anyway. She had just loaded her hand trucks with a load of candles to deliver, as she went inside her truck with the package I gave her, I grabbed the load and started in the business with it. She asked what I was doing, I told her " You're helping me, I'm helping you.". LOL, I had to reassure her that I would have done the same for a male driver to stay in her good graces. I have respect for women in general, but tons of respect for women that do a heavy job like ours without whining all the time.

Upslady20

There is no point in whining we knew what we signed up for when we went after the job.... equal pay for equal work..

daydreamer

:peaceful:I'm a 22/3, get used as a driver hard during peak and summer (and when there are injuries)...I love coming back to the bldg at 19:30 and hearing "there are 20 stops in that car out there and we need you to take them"! I'm almost 60 and cannot work like a 25-yr old, but I can get 'er done and pride myself for no misdeliveries and no injuries so far. We have guys who are just racked up.

Is your brown blood thinning like mine? I mean, mgmt is just messing with us bad, seems like they are going to make us pay for having to create all the combo jobs last contract. -Sigh- I just want to do my job, I'm good at it!

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
DD

Most UPS employees do a very good job, most work to the limit of their capabilities. And deep down, management knows that. But it seems to be their job to harrass and break down our self esteem to where we begin to doubt ourselves. I guess it gives them a power rush?

Lead on by example!

d

helenofcalifornia

6% of the UPS workforce is female according to a USA Today article a couple of years back. There are not many up and coming women in my center for future UPS drivers either. It's a tough job but I wouldn't do anything else. I can't even imagine sitting at a desk for a living. We don't have to worry about any vitamin D shortage with all the sun we get, just have to worry about that old, leather skin we will have in our future.

Ms Spoken

6% of the UPS workforce is female according to a USA Today article a couple of years back. There are not many up and coming women in my center for future UPS drivers either. It's a tough job but I wouldn't do anything else. I can't even imagine sitting at a desk for a living. We don't have to worry about any vitamin D shortage with all the sun we get, just have to worry about that old, leather skin we will have in our future.

But, I have to say that my left side sure does look good until you see my pale skin on the right. :sunny:

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09
Especially that left leg on the outside. How about the pretty white feet? I agree a desk job would kill me, and I've already got the leather skin thing going on, spent most of my life outside either working or playing and don't regret it.

Bad Gas!

I don't know how you women do it. It's hard enough if you are a 6 ft. guy..I know my wife wouldn't last but a few hours at most...But, I wouldn't want her inside job either at her company....This job is making a old man out of me tenfold!...So my hats off to all you women in brown! Keep up the good work..

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09
It is hard, hardest thing I've ever done physically. Stressful too, after my first 6 months or so I asked one of the guys "Gee I still hurt all the time, how long does it take for your body to get used to this so you don't hurt all the time" They all just laughed. For a few years I took ibuprofen everyday to make it through then found out it could cause alot of problems with liver or something, so now I just hurt. I do take 800mg once in awhile before bed so I can sleep all night. Aches and pains everywhere and my right shoulder is pretty bad as well as my knees starting to complain, especially since I got put in an old p800.

It is hard, hardest thing I've ever done physically. Stressful too, after my first 6 months or so I asked one of the guys "Gee I still hurt all the time, how long does it take for your body to get used to this so you don't hurt all the time" They all just laughed. For a few years I took ibuprofen everyday to make it through then found out it could cause alot of problems with liver or something, so now I just hurt. I do take 800mg once in awhile before bed so I can sleep all night. Aches and pains everywhere and my right shoulder is pretty bad as well as my knees starting to complain, especially since I got put in an old p800.
Bitch, whine, complain, threaten the safety of the first born, flirt, kiss their .... uuuh...do everything you can to get OUT of that P800. Those things will tear your knees up faster than a defensive tackle, specially if you are shorter than 6 feet tall. The angle of the legs on that high of a step puts way too much stress on the knee. More than likely you can't even reach the handrail they are so famous for insisting you use to get in and out of that TRUCK and IF you can reach it, that's probably what is effecting your shoulder pain.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Ok so who are the women drivers on here.. I know tooner, helenofcalifornia and I believe moreluck are all women. And I can now add dillifgaf to that list.. I am sorry I didn't realize you were a woman until the other day.. I am dense sometimes..
That's ok Lady (ps same to DS and Sat, they will know why), I have to remind myself that not everyone is aware of that, screen names do make it hard. I love being outside and for the most part my customers are pretty good. I think in some cases it helps being a women, esp. w/ over 70's. I go into the business "ok guys, I have a heavy one. Can one of you come and help?". More often than not I'll have 3/4 lined up outside of the trucking waiting.:its_all_good: But if not I take care of it myself. No complaints. We have a high value shipper on 1 route that ships display cases for shows. (Jewelry). They had 2 cases going out and the shipper had told me about it early in the day so I called in for some help at p/u time. Each case well over 70, and the shipper was upstairs with no elevator. I didn't want to risk losing it trying to get it downstairs without help and there were only women that worked there (older). To make a longer story short the male driver that showed up to help made a snotty remark "Is this why I had to come over here?" He was being a jerk. Yep this is why! He is one of our runners and is out on like his 3/4 injury now, has just barely worked for the comp. 1 year. I haven't had any injuries and only 1 avoidable accident. I have lost count of how many accidents he has had. LOL

Congrats IWAD,
I'm a male and often wondered also how the women did this job,my hat's off to all of you.In answer to your question about the aches and pains,I don't think you ever get used to them and they really never go away.I have never gotten hurt on the job and I have been retired for 5 1/2 years and I still have the aches and pains,the worst part is ,if they do go away it does not take much for them to re occur.So take care of your body as best you can so you can enjoy your retirement when you get there.

ups_vette

Bitch, whine, complain, threaten the safety of the first born, flirt, kiss their .... uuuh...do everything you can to get OUT of that P800. Those things will tear your knees up faster than a defensive tackle, specially if you are shorter than 6 feet tall. The angle of the legs on that high of a step puts way too much stress on the knee. More than likely you can't even reach the handrail they are so famous for insisting you use to get in and out of that TRUCK and IF you can reach it, that's probably what is effecting your shoulder pain.

I was unaware that UPS had a medical doctor working as a Package Driver...err..I mean Service Provider.

Do you write prescriptions in addition to giving medical advice?

WyoBrown

I'm so glad you asked this question, I have been wondering the same. At our ctr, women drivers out number the men. I'm a woman driver going after seniority so wish me luck. I fully plan on getting it and joining the ranks of the hard working women in brown.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I'm so glad you asked this question, I have been wondering the same. At our ctr, women drivers out number the men. I'm a woman driver going after seniority so wish me luck. I fully plan on getting it and joining the ranks of the hard working women in brown.
where you out of wyo? I have a good friend that lives in Cheyenne.

helenofcalifornia

The work isn't really that difficult if you started as a part timer and built up your strength and stamina that way. And I ALWAYS carry a bottle of ibuprofen in my truck. That drug should be illegal it works so well. I keep telling all the youngsters that you don't really start hurting 'til your either 45 or worked for UPS for 20 years. Retirement is gonna be a bitch with alot of aches and pains. Still wouldn't trade this job for a desk one though.