Who are these people?

gman042

Been around the block a few times
You know the ones......the ones so versed in logistics that they are never caught unaware.

How can ANYONE in this company so grossly underestimate the sheer magnitude of the volume this peak? We have centers all over this company getting their butts handed to them on platter because someone thinks it is 1985. It is the era of internet shopping folks. You know there was ONE person who made this call and their head should roll for implementing a peak plan so outdated, so inadequate to the task. It will be a miracle if anyone survives.

OH....BTW.....yesterday our center beat its peak day volume from last year.....by about 1400 peices.......it is not even DEC yet.

Release the anger and get it done. Being mad about this wont help and it zaps your energy at a time when you need it most. Try and smile about it and don't let your customers know you are angry it's not there fault.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
It doesn't matter if the plan works for you, what only matters is if the money rolls in.

That is probably a good refection on the planning for this excess from cyber weekend.
It is too costly to staff up for 1 or 2 days of excessive volume.
It will get delivered by the time that the normal peak volume starts to build up.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
It doesn't matter if the plan works for you, what only matters is if the money rolls in.

That is probably a good refection on the planning for this excess from cyber weekend.
It will get delivered by the time that the normal peak volume starts to build up.

Check out KOC chart in another thread. History says it isn't 1 or 2 days but it should steadily increase from here. Online sales have steadily increased every week for the weeks leading up to Xmas for the last 5-6 years.

undies

The company makes their money...BUT we also make our money too. Take your time, be safe and get those 12+ hours in, this is what we do!

rod

Retired 22 years

Your logic amazes me sometimes. Now I know who thought up that speech I heard a few times about, "more stops shouldn't take you any longer because that makes them closer together". You're retired now----you don't have to try to brainwash the troops anymore.:wink2:

UnconTROLLed

perfection
The company doesn't care about anyone's safety. Nor does the union.

It's every man for himself.

A quick story: during peak, our hub's fourth parking lot shuts down for trailers to rest and of course management to park their vehicles.

Employees are forced to park at the customer counter and walk across a dark, unlit, busy road to get to the building. This road has no pedestrian walk path.

Unfortunately if someone is hit by a car, we know the company doesn't give a rats ass and will certainly pass the blame off to the employee, since it didn't happen on company property.

The worst part is that if you want to park in the regular lots, you can wait for 20-30 minutes for a spot or park illegally outside of spaces and receive a ticket. Then with the excess vehicles parked outside of spaces along with the already cramped lot, more accidents can happen as you cannot see around corners. This is especially dangerous to people walking through the lots.

Nice job UPS, way to take care of your own. Jokes.

over9five

Staff member
The company doesn't care about anyone's safety. Nor does the union.

It's every man for himself.

A quick story: during peak, our hub's fourth parking lot shuts down for trailers to rest and of course management to park their vehicles.

Employees are forced to park at the customer counter and walk across a dark, unlit, busy road to get to the building. This road has no pedestrian walk path.

Unfortunately if someone is hit by a car, we know the company doesn't give a rats ass and will certainly pass the blame off to the employee, since it didn't happen on company property.

The worst part is that if you want to park in the lot, you can wait for 20-30 minutes for a spot or park illegally outside of spaces and receive a ticket.

Nice job UPS, way to take care of your own. Jokes.

Lol, first time in 25 years I've had to park at the CC. The guards call the 4th lot "VIP parking"!

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
We have no parking available because the pre-load is still there a 9. I roll in at 8:40 and have to park on the grass. It really helps when a feeder driver decides to drop a set of doubles across 10 parking places. At night another set of doubles is dropped right on pump number one. Apparently pkg cars don't need to fuel.

ymelord

You know the ones......the ones so versed in logistics that they are never caught unaware.

How can ANYONE in this company so grossly underestimate the sheer magnitude of the volume this peak? We have centers all over this company getting their butts handed to them on platter because someone thinks it is 1985. It is the era of internet shopping folks. You know there was ONE person who made this call and their head should roll for implementing a peak plan so outdated, so inadequate to the task. It will be a miracle if anyone survives.

OH....BTW.....yesterday our center beat its peak day volume from last year.....by about 1400 peices.......it is not even DEC yet.
They don't under estimate the volume, think about it, they get to use sup's or any part timer to del or help, what ever it takes to get it del when ever they del it, doesn't matter no guarantees on time of del. For the next month UPS gets to del what ever way works best for UPS.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
One and half months out of the year UPS has me by the balls, the other ten and half I have theirs. I think I can deal with those kind of odds.

CharleyHustle

I think it is a reflection on the planning that takes place year round. I don't think there is a person anywhere, alive or dead that could have managed our building on Tuesday. The managers new well in advance that it was going to be a train wreck, and sure enough it was. The technology has advanced the work to such levels that there is absolutely no wiggle room. 10 years ago we had about the same volume with 80 drivers, now we have 65. 10 years ago we had cars loaded on spurs or even outside, now every truck is on the dock. It was maybe 2 or 3 routes that would have to 2 trip or return to the building to get excess work, now I think it is more than 10. Sure PAS has allowed the preload to handle more pkgs faster, but the new kids have no chance to keep up with the flow designed for more seasoned loaders. They lined up several outside seasonal drivers, but they can only do a fraction of what even our "least best" drivers accomplish. I heard they let two of them go already.

Bottom line, the jobs have become unbelievably difficult. Putting on more people to handle up to twice the volume is really impossible. In the course of a week the mantra went from "production and helper utilization" to "just show up and do the best you can, we don't care how long it takes".

bluehdmc

In fairness to the company, online sales were up something like 25% over the weekend that's a lot of volume. If you read the Fedex threads here they are saying basically the same thing. If you have a hub that processes 200K pieces and increase that by 25% your looking at an additional 50K pieces that's 25? more trailers??
We got all kinds of feeder drivers running out of hours.
Some thought is that people are shopping earlier, if that's true then things might level out to a certain extent. Might as well make hay while the sun shines though.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Why do they miss the projections? Hmmm...

Why do computers crash?

Same answer...

It's the programmers, stupid.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Release the anger and get it done. Being mad about this wont help and it zaps your energy at a time when you need it most. Try and smile about it and don't let your customers know you are angry it's not there fault.

To All,

Bitterness and anger causes more harm to the one on whom it is stored than on the one to whom it is poured.

Be well.

Sincerely,
I