Who Handles Your Large Bulk Stops Pickups/Deliveries??

Overpaid Union Thug

This question is mainly for people in extended centers but anyone else please feel free to comment. Do regular package car drivers deliver and pickup your larger bulk work or do you have people that split time between package and feeders that are usually called "CPU" or Central Pickup? Here package handles EVERYTHING but I know that some centers will put those larger bulk stops such as SurePost and others on someone else like a CPU or a route that's put in just for bulk stops. I like that idea of CPU's doing the work because this creates more feeder opportunities.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Here package car drivers do all pickups unless it's consistently a huge volume. We have pickup stops that have 2 pallets going out everyday that stay on package car pickup. We have one stop that 2 days a week has over 300 pieces of heavy paper boxes that are swept by one driver then the other half is picked up during scheduled pickups. They can't get on the feeder route because they only have over 300 pieces twice a week.
We have a number of businesses that ship over 3 pallets everyday that get picked up by feeders and I know of one in my area that has their own dedicated feeder at the business all day. They load it themselves then in the evening it gets pulled and replaced around 8pm.

Overpaid Union Thug

Here package car drivers do all pickups unless it's consistently a huge volume. We have pickup stops that have 2 pallets going out everyday that stay on package car pickup. We have one stop that 2 days a week has over 300 pieces of heavy paper boxes that are swept by one driver then the other half is picked up during scheduled pickups. They can't get on the feeder route because they only have over 300 pieces twice a week.
We have a number of businesses that ship over 3 pallets everyday that get picked up by feeders and I know of one in my area that has their own dedicated feeder at the business all day. They load it themselves then in the evening it gets pulled and replaced around 8pm.

It's funny how there doesn't seem to be any consistency in UPSs thinking on what determines what should be deemed feeder worthy. Back in my part-time days I worked at various factories during the day and would see feeder drivers come in and pick up anywhere from a bunch of pallets to one package. I finally cornered one at the last factory I worked at before going full-time at UPS. He said that he was a CPU and had several daily drops offs and pickups during the day that didn't add up to a full 8 hour day so some days he was in package helping and on others would pick up or deliver various bulk stops from the package routes and might not have to drive a package car at all.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
He said that he was a CPU and had several daily drops offs and pickups during the day that didn't add up to a full 8 hour day so some days he was in package helping and on others would pick up or deliver various bulk stops from the package routes and might not have to drive a package car at all.

Most of our feeder guys don't have long routes that give them 8 hours so most of them shift in the yard to finish their 8 hours.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
We have other drivers backup the pick up. Trouble is, some lazy types take 10 pieces and book.
We have "bonus whores" who inflate their piece count by showing up at large accounts and skimming off their bagged smalls and envelopes, leaving the pallets of heavy boxes behind for the regular driver to fight with.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
We have a few day runs that are straight CPU work and a few more that start in the afternoon and make one or two CPU's before going up the road. As long as the customer has a dock we'll put on trailer on it if they need it.

soberups

I have several wineries on my route that will occasionally hammer me with 5 or 6 full pallets. A full case of wine weighs 42 lbs; my P-700 can take a maximum of 5,000 lbs of cargo which means that anything over about 120 cases of wine will overload the car. When that happens I just call the center and they send a feeder driver out there, and the winery can shrink-wrap the pallets and load them into the trailer with a forklift.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
We have "bonus whores" who inflate their piece count by showing up at large accounts and skimming off their bagged smalls and envelopes, leaving the pallets of heavy boxes behind for the regular driver to fight with.

Sent using BrownCafe App
That's such a dick move.

Overpaid Union Thug

In my center the bonus whores are probably the reason why we don't have these cake feeder runs. Not all bonus whores will jump on these pickups. Only the extra greedy will run all day and skip their lunch only to volunteer to go "bleed" 6 pallets of whatever because they know it will inflate their bonus even more. How do they do this? They go straight for the smalls or smallest items and throw them in the truck as fast as humanly possible, "guestimate" the amount they picked up, and leave the heaviest and most time consuming items on the dock for the guy that they're supposed to be helping out by even coming there.

oldngray

nowhere special
In my center the bonus whores are probably the reason why we don't have these cake feeder runs. Not all bonus whores will jump on these pickups. Only the extra greedy will run all day and skip their lunch only to volunteer to go "bleed" 6 pallets of whatever because they know it will inflate their bonus even more. How do they do this? They go straight for the smalls or smallest items and throw them in the truck as fast as humanly possible, "guestimate" the amount they picked up, and leave the heaviest and most time consuming items on the dock for the guy that they're supposed to be helping out by even coming there.

They will always "guestimate" an inflated number and get away with it because it makes the center numbers look better. And when they prehit a pickup they should be taking the big bulky stuff but of course they won't unless they have to.

Overpaid Union Thug

They will always "guestimate" an inflated number and get away with it because it makes the center numbers look better. And when they prehit a pickup they should be taking the big bulky stuff but of course they won't unless they have to.

I've been the victim of these turds quite a few times. It usually starts with an ODS from the center saying that so so is on the way to bleed whatever but when I get there it looks like no one showed up. The only clue that someone was there is MAYBE the end of day and the number they've wrote on it for me to subtract from the total. I pick it up and see "-150" written on it and look around and see several rows of pallets sitting there and realize that the "150" they picked up must have been a bunch of boxes of smalls.

soberups

Years ago when I had a pig-iron industrial route, there was a bonus whore who kept "helping" me by skimming bagged smalls from a graphic design company that I picked up. I would be stuck with a hundred cases of paper on pallets while got "credit" for the 200+ smalls and envelopes that fit in 2 or 3 bags. I confronted him about it, complained to management etc but nothing was done and it went on for a couple of years. So I started using the one advantage that I did hold over him, which was seniority. Every time he would put his name down for an optional holiday or an 8 hr request... I would intentionally bump him, even if I didnt want or need that day off. On one occasion I was even able to close out a week of vacation that I knew he badly wanted. Eventually he got the message and took his bonus whoring elswhere.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Z

ZQXC

Sent using BrownCafe App

Aptly named, I must say...........

barnyard

KTM rider
Mine is not a bonus center. We used to have 4 routes that were delivered and PUd by feeder guys, plus a route that was feeder delivery only. Everything was fine until anything picked up by a feeder, my center lost credit for. So now, unless it will fill a trailer, my bosses would rather send in several packages cars and get the center credit for it, instead of doing it the easier, timing saving way of having a feeder pick it up.

Once the cost structure changed, the feeder routes were eliminated as the drivers retired. Now we only have 1.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
I had one swing driver try to pull the "just get bags and smalls " trick. The guys at the pick up that I have known for years asked me about it. When I explained what this weasle was up to they thought that was rotten. The next time that weasle went into the pick up, the guys on the dock hid the easy stuff and loaded him with all the heavy over sized ones. Ain't karma a bitch.