Whos safer?

margaritaville

Scenario: say you FINALLY go fulltime driving after you use to pass it up when they called. You have been there for 10 years. Now someone else has been there 4 years but they went fulltime the first chance they got. So now they have more driving senority then you in terms of vacations, getting days off, etc. But u have been at the building 6 years longer than them.

Now say something happens where they lay off mass drivers. New competition, work automation, whatever. I know drivers get sent back to the building if they are laid off for an excessive amount of time. But who is completely out of work and on the streets first if you are both drivers?

margaritaville

Well they still have health insurance and and some income atleast. Im just wondering who is completely on the streets and outta UPS first. Yes this a pretty freak scenario.

The reason im wondering is a 4 year driver that got bumped back to the building couldnt bump at a 10 year part timer who never went driving i would assume?

margaritaville

oh snap! so you could be a part timer who works at ups 20 years and still get replaced by a 2 yr full timer in a disaster economy collaspe scenario? good to know... That is what i was mainly getting at.

bumped

This had happened in my building a few years ago. As long as both employees are qualified to do the job, in this case driving. Layoffs go by company seniority. The person that has the most company seniority worked first even though the driver had less full time seniority.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
This had happened in my building a few years ago. As long as both employees are qualified to do the job, in this case driving. Layoffs go by company seniority. The person that has the most company seniority worked first even though the driver had less full time seniority.
Key word qualified.

Xexys

Retired and Happy
1 day FT > 100yrs PT when it comes to right to work.

Building seniority rules all in layoffs. A pt worker that has 6 yrs working goes ft. A full timer has been there 4 years and has 4 years on said pt transfer worker. The building has mass layoffs and the new pt gone ft worker wins the bid.

Xexys

Retired and Happy

Winner! You could ask the Union to actually view the list of building seniority. It may even be posted on the bulletin board.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Winner! You could ask the Union to actually view the list of building seniority. It may even be posted on the bulletin board.

This is not true. I was hired off the street and have classification seniority over 3 drivers who have more company seniority than I do. If layoffs were to occur I would work before any of them would.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Building seniority rules all in layoffs. A pt worker that has 6 yrs working goes ft. A full timer has been there 4 years and has 4 years on said pt transfer worker. The building has mass layoffs and the new pt gone ft worker wins the bid.

That must be a Local thing.

I don't know of any situation, where part-time building seniority

would trump full-time seniority.... for anything. Certainly, not in a layoff situation.

-Bug-

stink219

Where are you getting this crazy information?

Sent using the conscience of Local 251

oldngray

nowhere special
Isn't it layoffs by category? If its full time layoff then its FT seniority that is most important and if they are laying off part timers then it reverts to PT seniority?