Why are new contracts always last minute and beyond?

JL 0513

They seem to operate like Congress with spending bills. Wait until the government shutdown occurs, then try a pass a spending bill.

I haven't been around for many new contracts but quickly noticed that the union and company are negotiating in the final weeks of the outgoing contracts expiration date and beyond. Like the last contract, we begin the new contract not knowing what our actual current pay is in which we are later owed back pay.

The whole thing should be finalized and voted upon at about this point on the calendar. Am I too idealistic? The money the union strips from us for 5 years and we know nothing until the old one expires?

They seem to operate like Congress with spending bills. Wait until the government shutdown occurs, then try a pass a spending bill.

I haven't been around for many new contracts but quickly noticed that the union and company are negotiating in the final weeks of the outgoing contracts expiration date and beyond. Like the last contract, we begin the new contract not knowing what our actual current pay is in which we are later owed back pay.

The whole thing should be finalized and voted upon at about this point on the calendar. Am I too idealistic? The money the union strips from us for 5 years and we know nothing until the old one expires?
IBT would usually start negotiating with the company early fall or sometimes as early as late spring the year before contract end date... This time negotiations didn’t start until February of the same year... Time line was different this time.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
It's just another tactic UPS uses. Delaying any raises saves them money. Also people are more likely to vote yes after a few months for a few dollars of back pay.

JL 0513

Hmmm.
Well at the beginning of the contract I was a seasonal driver helper making $8.50 an hour. I'll hit 100k this year, with benefits that are unmatched around here.

So.... a lot I guess.

While we can thank the union for where we stand, it's a tremendous amount of money they collect vs what they actually do. Negotiate a few months every 5 years is the biggest thing, while assisting some guys here and there in getting there job back and such.