Why are the negotiations so private?

2old2load

Can anyone shed some light on this issue? It is my belief that if our money (union dues) pay these elected officials, we should have a detailed transcript of the acutal meetings... like what the union is asking for and what the company is offering. The only thing I’ve found about the negotiations on ups uprising is vague to say the least. Why so secret? Why do they want to keep us in the dark? Why do we allow it?

35years

Gravy route
UPS negotiates for what is in their best interest.
Teamsters negotiates for what is in the Union's best interest.

So we get things like hybrid drivers which saves UPS money and gives the Union more dues paying full timers.

And $15 per hour for new part timers which UPS has to pay anyway to compete with Taco Bell for workers.

Then the Union can claim victory -higher wages for newbies and more full time jobs while the company makes billions.

If the workers had a say, we would demand things that might not be in the best for the Union officials, or the company. So we have no voice at the table.

Last edited:

So we get things like hybrid drivers which saves UPS money and gives the Union more dues paying full timers.

And $15 per hour for new part timers which UPS has to pay anyway to compete with Taco Bell for workers.

Then the Union can claim victory -higher wages for newbies and more full time jobs while the company makes billions.

If the workers had a say, we would demand things that might not be in the best for the Union officials, or the company.
I vote :censored2: No.

2old2load

If the workers had a say, we would demand things that might not be in the best for the Union officials, or the company.
So your saying the union along with ups want us out of the negotiations of OUR contract? Look I understand how negotiations work and I know there has to be a give and take however id like to know what’s being negotiated on MY/OUR behalf and i don’t think that’s a unrealistic idea! Our union relies on us almost like a parasite, without a host the union dies. I’m willing to have a few leeches so that my pay is fairly increased and other benefits are in order. I believe what’s best for the union officials is to keep the union members happy?

SolidWoodPanel

Probably the Greatest American Alive
The negotiations are kept private so that workers don't gear up for a strike the minute the contract expires, especially if they feel like they are getting hosed.

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
Can anyone shed some light on this issue? It is my belief that if our money (union dues) pay these elected officials, we should have a detailed transcript of the acutal meetings... like what the union is asking for and what the company is offering. The only thing I’ve found about the negotiations on ups uprising is vague to say the least. Why so secret? Why do they want to keep us in the dark? Why do we allow it?
Always been this way, probably always will.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Here's my take, for what it's worth???....and in order to make my point I will use a recent life scenario as an analogy.

My wife accompanied me to test drive a used vehicle at a dealership last weekend, a car we were considering for a third vehicle, as my oldest daughter just got her temps and needed a smaller vehicle to learn on and eventually drive when she gets her license.

On the way there, I told my wife to please walk away anytime the sales people and I started talking price or terms, if the test drive went well.

She agreed, knowing that she tends to be a bit impetuous, and myself being a better "negotiator".

This system worked for us, because we discussed what we wanted in this car going in.....for this analogy, let's call these needs "proposals".

Turned out this vehicle was everything we were looking for in regards to our "proposals", with the price being initially too high, but eventually "negotiated" to an acceptable number, although there were a few minor mechanical issues that needed to be addressed.

When the dealership and myself could not come to an agreement on the necessary repairs, I decided to walk.....which is an "impass".

This is when I owed it to my wife a detailed explain of my position, accompanied by her agreeing or disagreeing that we should walk....the equivalent of a "strike vote".

Eventually, with my wife's blessing (ratified strike vote), we left and went home.
Ultimately, the dealership called us back and met all but one of my conditions, to which I considered "reasonable".....which is a "tentative agreement".

I then took this "tentative agreement" to my wife for her approval as well.....(a "bargaining unit vote").

When she gave her approval, we had a deal....a "ratified contract".

In the end, had I (the negotiator) included my wife (the bargaining unit) in every aspect of this process, she would have likely fell victim to many of the dealership's (the Company) various sales ploys, misdirection, and innuendo, severely compromising "the deal".

But as it turned out, our system earned us a better deal.

It's never good to have "too many cooks in the kitchen".

Btw, the only gripe I have to date in these UPS negotiations, is that we didn't get a detailed explaination as to why we were asked to give "The Committee" strike authorization.

The IBT simply has not earned this type of carte blanche consideration in any other recent UPS negotiations, but they got it anyway.....I certainly hope they don't make us sorry, again.

With this in mind, I will wait for a "tentative agreement" before I draw any conclusions or pimp a no vote.

Last edited:

Tony Q

The union released the initial proposals. How much information are you looking for? Have you ever participated in a contract negotiation? Most White Paper contract I have ever negotiated are kept pretty quiet. What happens with the negotiating committee stays with the negotiating committee.

Tony Q

If the workers had a say, we would demand things that might not be in the best for the Union officials, or the company. So we have no voice at the table.

Just an FYI, the number one proposal was to fix the Part-Time wages. Particularly the Starting wage. Once we do this, others will not be happy. You can never please everyone.

Tony Q

Here's my take, for what it's worth???....and in order to make my point I will use a recent life scenario as an analogy.

My wife accompanied me to test drive a used vehicle at a dealership last weekend, a car we were considering for a third vehicle, as my oldest daughter just got her temps and needed a smaller vehicle to learn on and eventually drive when she gets her license.

On the way there, I told my wife to please walk away anytime the sales people and I started talking price or terms, if the test drive went well.

She agreed, knowing that she tends to be a bit impetuous, and myself being a better "negotiator".

This system worked for us, because we discussed what we wanted in this car going in.....for this analogy, let's call these needs "proposals".

Turned out this vehicle was everything we were looking for in regards to our "proposals", with the price being initially too high, but eventually "negotiated" to an acceptable number, although there were a few minor mechanical issues that needed to be addressed.

When the dealership and myself could not come to an agreement on the necessary repairs, I decided to walk.....which is an "impass".

This is when I owed it to my wife a detailed explain of my position, accompanied by her agreeing or disagreeing that we should walk....the equivalent of a "strike vote".

Eventually, with my wife's blessing (ratified strike vote), we left and went home.
Ultimately, the dealership called us back and met all but one of my conditions, to which I considered "reasonable".....which is a "tentative agreement".

I then took this "tentative agreement" to my wife for her approval as well.....(a "bargaining unit vote").

In the end, had I (the negotiator) included my wife (the bargaining unit) in every aspect of this process, she would have likely fell victim to many of the dealership's (the Company) various sales ploys, misdirection, and innuendo, severely compromising "the deal".

Btw, the only gripe I have to date in these UPS negotiations, is that we didn't get a detailed explaination as to why we were asked to give "The Committee" strike authorization.

The IBT simply has not earned this type of carte blanche consideration in any other recent UPS negotiations, but they got it anyway.....I certainly hope they don't make us sorry, again.
Beautiful analogy

SolidWoodPanel

Probably the Greatest American Alive

With this in mind, I will wait for a "tentative agreement" before I draw any conclusions or pimp a no vote.
tldr

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Just an FYI, the number one proposal was to fix the Part-Time wages. Particularly the Starting wage. Once we do this, others will not be happy. You can never please everyone.
Who proposed this, the Company or the Union?

Last edited:

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
The union released the initial proposals. How much information are you looking for? Have you ever participated in a contract negotiation? Most White Paper contract I have ever negotiated are kept pretty quiet. What happens with the negotiating committee stays with the negotiating committee.
As it should be here, as we certainly can't have nearly 300,000 people at the Negotiating Table.

Problem as I see it is that 70% of UPSers that chose to vote in the last General Election, didn't vote for those who are at the table???