Why break so early?

MeltedSnowman

Last night my hub went on break about 40 minutes into the twilight shift. Why? Are the managers in the tower just busting balls or is there some logic to stopping the belts when they are loaded to capacity so just people can stand around and look at each other? It made for one long ass night. The supervisors ended up loaded trailers during this time just because it was such a cluster.

browner89

I believe its intended to screw the workers, they may have anticipated a very long night so by giving you a > 30 minute break they shouldn't need to pay you OT after 5, instead after 8.

May have also been a problem with one of the belts you didn't know about and it just looked like a break?

oldngray

nowhere special
Break dancing?
13-Old-People-Funny.jpg

Drink Craft Beer

Yesterday on the pre-load, there was a handful of forever bags to do and a full cart of send agains from the day before. Supervisor called break even though a truck was put on the door within 7 minutes of the 10min break. That was an hour and a half into the shift and had to work 6hrs straight w/o a break.

So far I've worked almost 23hrs this week with only 30mins of break time.......that's not right.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Yesterday on the pre-load, there was a handful of forever bags to do and a full cart of send agains from the day before. Supervisor called break even though a truck was put on the door within 7 minutes of the 10min break. That was an hour and a half into the shift and had to work 6hrs straight w/o a break.

So far I've worked almost 23hrs this week with only 30mins of break time.......that's not right.
I have 27 hrs and change after today....with a 10 min break each day. It may not be in compliance with state law....but it's how peak has always run since I've worked here.

Drink Craft Beer

It's definitely not in compliance and I understand that's how peak has always been. They always harp about safety, yet they're working people 6hrs straight which means it's a hell of a lot more likely to let your guard down due to fatigue and leading to a in building accident / injury.

MeltedSnowman

Not sure but I believe break cannot be called within the 1st hour of your shift.

It may have been an hour in, probably right down to the minute. Oh well, at least I get one unlike a few others that have responded. I'll observe a moment of silence on my next break for those that never received one. :(

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
It's definitely not in compliance and I understand that's how peak has always been. They always harp about safety, yet they're working people 6hrs straight which means it's a hell of a lot more likely to let your guard down due to fatigue and leading to a in building accident / injury.
I'd rather have the OT....with a 30 min break being optional.

UnconTROLLed

perfection

State law and contract will dictate your breaks. It's possible you live in a state without any breaks and your supplement doesn't cover one, but worth checking, as always.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
State law and contract will dictate your breaks. It's possible you live in a state without any breaks and your supplement doesn't cover one, but worth checking, as always.
My state law says a shift of 6 hours or more....a 30 min unpaid break. After 9 hours....you get a paid 10min break and an unpaid 30min.