Why Businesses Move from the North to the South?

purplesky

Many businesses are moving to the South because of more productive and happier workers, good weather, less upkeep on facilities and vehicles, less taxes, less regulation, etc

What can you add to the reasons above?

Damn Hoaxster! Could you plz be less obvious with your union bashing. The Teamsters have helped you become a UPS millionaire. Show some respect for the folks who will take care of you in retirement.:wink2:

Last edited:

804brown

I'll let you in on a little southern secret. 150 years ago, we wanted to leave but the north had other ideas. BTW, strange that slavery ended without war across the planet except here but then that assumes the war was fought over slavery to begin with.

Anyhoo, the southern secret is that we learned a little trick from this fella named Osama bin Laden and now southerners like thirsty vampires are bleeding the northerners dry. To make it even better, the stupid yankees keep demanding their own pay more taxes which we bleed right out of your coffers right into our own pockets. So you see, 150 years ago it would have been in your best interest to have kicked us to the curb and be done with us but now it's too late. Our fangs are deeply embedded in your Carotid artery. So as your world in the north succombs to the death of the southern cause, you only have yourself to blame.

Once again, Imperial America is bitten by it's own unintended consequences!
:happy-very:

Speaking of that era, reading earlier today in how General Grant wanted to expel the jews!

Speaking of the "south": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7D9CtwMIdl8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

1) Given the tooth count of hourly workers the dental plan savings put companies instantly into a positive profit area.
2) However, the overwhelming number of management that marry their sister negates those profits by doubling the cost of the family insurance policies.

rod

Retired 22 years
Maybe some of the other stuff is true but I really find it hard to believe the the workers in the south are more productive. From my experiences in the Army (Ft Campbell, Ky. Ft.Benning, Ga. and Ft. Polk, Louisiana) and a dozen vacations down through Mo. Ark. Ala. Tenn. Fla and all other points south I have come to the conclusion that if the people down there got any slower they would be going backwards. Not That being "laid back" isn't good but I fail to see how they get anything accomplished at the speed they move. A friend tried to buy bait at a little ma and pa baitshop in Bull Schoals, Ark one time and to hear him tell the story of how long it took for the lady to scoop out a couple of dozen minnows is hilarious. He figured they could handle no more than about 4 customers a day at the rate they moved.

disclaimer: I'm sure all UPS workers in the south move like greased lightening.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Maybe some of the other stuff is true but I really find it hard to believe the the workers in the south are more productive. From my experiences in the Army (Ft Campbell, Ky. Ft.Benning, Ga. and Ft. Polk, Louisiana) and a dozen vacations down through Mo. Ark. Ala. Tenn. Fla and all other points south I have come to the conclusion that if the people down there got any slower they would be going backwards. Not That being "laid back" isn't good but I fail to see how they get anything accomplished at the speed they move. A friend tried to buy bait at a little ma and pa baitshop in Bull Schoals, Ark one time and to hear him tell the story of how long it took for the lady to scoop out a couple of dozen minnows is hilarious. He figured they could handle no more than about 4 customers a day at the rate they moved.

disclaimer: I'm sure all UPS workers in the south move like greased lightening.

I have run across people like that to be sure. In the South, in New Jersey, in Maine, in Utah, in Montana, and certainly in Alaska.
I think it is normal to make ad hoc observations and cherry pick instances to justify one's prejudices.
People do this a lot with African-Americans.

roadrunner2012

Four hours in the mod queue for a news link
Troll
Businesses move for one reason, money.

UPS moved from CT to GA for money, for example.

Taxes play a major role in that, especially with business taxes for large corporations. You go where you have the most advantageous tax code for your situation.

Of course there are consequences for low taxes, but they are of little concern for corporations. An educated workforce is not necessarily advantageous in all situations. Y'all love the charter schools and such.

Edit: It's also hard to have an honest discussion when some folks just make crap up, and call it a fact.

Last edited:

Babagounj

Strength through joy
You are part correct about the move out of CT.
What really drove that was the cost of housing in CT .
HQ was in the most expensive area & some people refused to move since there was no affordable housing near by.

rod

Retired 22 years
I have run across people like that to be sure. In the South, in New Jersey, in Maine, in Utah, in Montana, and certainly in Alaska.
I think it is normal to make ad hoc observations and cherry pick instances to justify one's prejudices.
People do this a lot with African-Americans.

I'm not prejudice-I hate everybody.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Maybe because there is a lot of people who like being scab labor and more Mexicans. Republicans love to exploit both.

407, who passed NAFTA? yeah jobs went south if you get my drift...both factions pretty much , suck.

[video=youtube;Rkgx1C_S6ls]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rkgx1C_S6ls[/video]

Catatonic

Nine Lives
You are part correct about the move out of CT.
What really drove that was the cost of housing in CT .
HQ was in the most expensive area & some people refused to move since there was no affordable housing near by.

That is money ... UPS had to pay people more to move.
Also, the best person would turn down the job as you said.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I am a white Southern racist Nazi
HolyNecroPost_759032.jpg