Why didn't you dr the basic package?

ups1990

Was the message from the office. A customer called to ask(complain), why her Basic package was not released. My response was this customer lives in gated apt's and only they can buzz one in. After we relayed this message to the customer, she informed us that her buzzer was not working. How do people expect deliveries under these circumstances, I've asked for a key from the manager but been denied.While these packages are labeled basic, we cannot leave them outside, they must be released front door. Management has said, this is following the Basic dr rules.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Was the message from the office. A customer called to ask(complain), why her Basic package was not released. My response was this customer lives in gated apt's and only they can buzz one in. After we relayed this message to the customer, she informed us that her buzzer was not working. How do people expect deliveries under these circumstances, I've asked for a key from the manager but been denied.While these packages are labeled basic, we cannot leave them outside, they must be released front door. Management has said, this is following the Basic dr rules.

What did you do with the package?
How did you sheet it?
Happens often on my route.
When you hit other non delivery soft key, if not delivered because of driver discretion you are prompted to put in will call.
That's what I do in these instances.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I had a customer that had a wall around their property with an electronic gate, the gate was closed and no one answered the intercom so I bagged the package and left it at the gate. Customer called and complained, said that they didn't want their packages left outside the gate. Next time I left a note on the gate, customer called and complained, stated that in the future they wanted the driver to "toss the packages over the gate". So next time I bagged the packages and tossed them over the gate. Customer called and complained, said they didn't want the driver tossing their packages over the gate...

Big Babooba

I had a customer that had a wall around their property with an electronic gate, the gate was closed and no one answered the intercom so I bagged the package and left it at the gate. Customer called and complained, said that they didn't want their packages left outside the gate. Next time I left a note on the gate, customer called and complained, stated that in the future they wanted the driver to "toss the packages over the gate". So next time I bagged the packages and tossed them over the gate. Customer called and complained, said they didn't want the driver tossing their packages over the gate...
Get a hacksaw.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Basic pkg to a house with a dog on chain to the sidewalk, I tossed it where I thought he could not get it. He got it, Oh well. Toss it over the wall, it will be breakable, they will complain about that. Basic and shipper release I leave, even if I dont think it is a good dr, that is what I have been instructed to do.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom

Ref-didn't want

browniehound

Basic pkg to a house with a dog on chain to the sidewalk, I tossed it where I thought he could not get it. He got it, Oh well. Toss it over the wall, it will be breakable, they will complain about that. Basic and shipper release I leave, even if I dont think it is a good dr, that is what I have been instructed to do.

This is interesting because I have a related story. I'm at a house in which the dog just wants to eat the UPS driver. He is adamant about getting a piece of me, so when I get to the house I make a lot of noise. Usually he comes running out of the back yard when he hears the diesel engine and chases the truck until the electric fence kicks in.

So, the dog is no where in sight. I made a delivery at the next door prior to this and these homes have large open yards. There was no sign of him, so I pulled in front of the driveway and walked toward the side door with a bag of clothes parcel. I get to the side-door steps and the 4-year old kid opens the door and the dog comes running out. WHAT THE HECK WOMAN? I beep my horn and pump the accelerater to get her attention and she still has no clue what her 4-year old son is doing.

Needless to say, the dog made a B-line to me. I kept him in front of me with the DIAD and the bag. He got the bag and chewed it for a few seconds ruining the woman's clothes thankfully but went right back to me. The truck is a good 25 steps away so I can't make a run for it. I got him in front of me for a good 30 seconds in which I'm moving in circle trying to keep him off. Usually if you step towards the dog they back off because they are scared. Not this one.

The entire minute or so the woman is not even trying to call the dog off(maybe she's mad her jeans have dog bites in them?), so finally I hit the dog in the head with the DIAD and he backed down and I ran to the truck. I shut the the door and waited a second for my apology. She just went back into the house. I couldn't believe it!

Now, I don't set foot on the property. I pull up and beep ( I know she's home) and along with the loud engine, it should be enough (who doesn't know when the UPS truck is coming down their small street? I certainly do, I can hear it 3 stops away!), but it isn't. She never comes out so I just leave it at the curb by the mailbox. I "AINT GOIN" any further than that...

SWORDFISH

LOL.. They would be picking up all future deliverys from the center from then on.

SWORDFISH

This is interesting because I have a related story. I'm at a house in which the dog just wants to eat the UPS driver. He is adamant about getting a piece of me, so when I get to the house I make a lot of noise. Usually he comes running out of the back yard when he hears the diesel engine and chases the truck until the electric fence kicks in.

So, the dog is no where in sight. I made a delivery at the next door prior to this and these homes have large open yards. There was no sign of him, so I pulled in front of the driveway and walked toward the side door with a bag of clothes parcel. I get to the side-door steps and the 4-year old kid opens the door and the dog comes running out. WHAT THE HECK WOMAN? I beep my horn and pump the accelerater to get her attention and she still has no clue what her 4-year old son is doing.

Needless to say, the dog made a B-line to me. I kept him in front of me with the DIAD and the bag. He got the bag and chewed it for a few seconds ruining the woman's clothes thankfully but went right back to me. The truck is a good 25 steps away so I can't make a run for it. I got him in front of me for a good 30 seconds in which I'm moving in circle trying to keep him off. Usually if you step towards the dog they back off because they are scared. Not this one.

The entire minute or so the woman is not even trying to call the dog off(maybe she's mad her jeans have dog bites in them?), so finally I hit the dog in the head with the DIAD and he backed down and I ran to the truck. I shut the the door and waited a second for my apology. She just went back into the house. I couldn't believe it!

Now, I don't set foot on the property. I pull up and beep ( I know she's home) and along with the loud engine, it should be enough (who doesn't know when the UPS truck is coming down their small street? I certainly do, I can hear it 3 stops away!), but it isn't. She never comes out so I just leave it at the curb by the mailbox. I "AINT GOIN" any further than that...

My center manager says if theirs a dog and you have any questions put NI and then put dog in the remarks and give it to the clerk. The customer then has to get the package and my center manager will back us all way.

govols019

You smell that?
I will not leave Basic/Shipper release at any of my apts. These apts are all non-DR, so it's a non-issue. 3 attempts as usual.

There's no such thing as a non-DR area for Basic/Shipper release packages. Bringing one back here will earn you a trip to the center manager's office. I DR them to the "projects".

browniehound

There's no such thing as a non-DR area for Basic/Shipper release packages. Bringing one back here will earn you a trip to the center manager's office. I DR them to the "projects".

This was my understanding also. My sup. tells me to leave all shipper-release packages no matter what. I was once reprimanded for bringing some Omaha Steaks back that belonged to a business. I felt that at least 200 people/day would walk in this hallway and who wouldn't like some nice steaks?. So I brought it back. He said no, leave it anywhere. So now I leave them and could care less if they are stolen. Apartments that I can't gain access to I leave the packages in the lobby. One woman called and complained but my sup. backed me up saying its the service level that was paid for. I can't argue with this logic, I guess?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I will not leave Basic/Shipper release at any of my apts. These apts are all non-DR, so it's a non-issue. 3 attempts as usual.

Steve, I have to respectfully disagree with you on this one. Basic/Shipper Release is a reduced service and IMO you should be DRing them on the first attempt.

I do have an issue with DRing Basic at a business, especially like the one Browniehound described. I would not nor will I leave a package to a closed business. I had a Basic package, which turned out to be checks, for a local bar. If they had not been there I would not have released the package, Basic or not.

bigbrownhen

There is a gray area for anything. I also wouldn't leave a basic at a closed business or in a place that a homeowner isn't likely to find it. There is a exception to every rule. It is nice to see that some of us have center manager's that will back us up on common sense reasons.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

There is a gray area for anything. I also wouldn't leave a basic at a closed business or in a place that a homeowner isn't likely to find it. There is a exception to every rule. It is nice to see that some of us have center manager's that will back us up on common sense reasons.

This is what the info notice is for.

bigbrownhen

In most instances yes, the DR notice is used. I was just referring to those rare instances when it us just not a good DR. There have been a few examples posted here.

over9five

Staff member
I would never bring back a basic package. I don't care if they're closed, and I definitely don't care what's in it! The shipper wants it released on the first attempt. I'm not sure why some of you want to piss off our paying customer who has selected basic service to get this package delivered on the first attempt. You're overthinking a very simple concept.