Why do Express drivers pick up other peoples stuff..UPS/USPS/FED EX Ground

We have so many drivers that do this every night. I don't get it. Can you even scan it?
We show the managers and they just say Sorry we have some stupid drivers.

One night I had a crate that was over 300lbs that clearly had a FEDEX Freight label on it :laugh:. I'm sure the customer helped him load it.

What if you lose that UPS/USPS/FEDEX Ground package?

Does this happen at other stations?

Star B

White Lightening
I take others stuff when I find it in our dropbox. Other than that, "You need to call that company"

People don't like it when I tell them that Ground isn't Express and you have to call the 800 number to get a different company out there. "But... But... It's FedEx" "FedEx Ground is a different company with contractors"

Turdferguson

Just a turd
We have so many drivers that do this every night. I don't get it. Can you even scan it?

One night I had a crate that was over 300lbs that clearly had a FEDEX Freight label on it :laugh:. I'm sure the customer helped him load it.

Why would you care if you lost a competitors package ? They would pay for it not Fedex

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus

Because if they're in dropboxes, the right thing (professional courtesy) to do is bring them back so they can be given to the correct company, or put them in one of their boxes.

As far as the 300 lb crate goes, that's just a stupid courier. I'm not going pick up a 300 lb crate even if it says Express on it.

bacha29

I take others stuff when I find it in our dropbox. Other than that, "You need to call that company"

People don't like it when I tell them that Ground isn't Express and you have to call the 800 number to get a different company out there. "But... But... It's FedEx" "FedEx Ground is a different company with contractors"
It's the disconnect between the OPCO's that the investor class and shippers dislike more every day. The pressure to consolidate operations will increase as the days go by. The question will be how strong of an opposition to doing so will the Smith gang put up?

Schweddy

Balls
It's extremely rare for me to accept ground stuff. I turn it away as much as possible.

AFAIK, express can only scan it under a drop box, exception, (last page)> ground. I try to tell the ground guy when I see stuff at my businesses so he can get it if it isn't already scheduled.

I don't mess with other carriers packages and if I get one in my DB, I take it to theirs or stop and give it to a driver. But rural routes might not be able to do that and some people are too lazy and throw USPS/UPS in the express dropboxes..

Oldfart

I pick up Ground boxes a few days per week. Take them to our station and put them in the Ground pile from the front counter.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
The sign on our dropboxes say "we do NOT accept Ground packages here" and yet countless maroon customers continue to do so. I've even found UPS and postal service packages and mail in there too.

I usually let them sit and grow mold until I'm good and ready to deal with them.

McFeely

Huge Member
My customers know I'll take their Ground stuff because I hand them to the Ground dude during our pickups. I see him everyday at the same stops.

Just a courtesy I guess, but I wouldn't pickup UPS or postal unless they're buying me beers after work.

dezguy

Ground can get their own :censored2:.

Any Canada Post or Purolator I find in my dropbox go in the mail box sitting right next to it (yup, people are so dumb they put Canada Post packages into the big white box with FedEx emblazoned all over it.)

Had a couple of US Post stuff end up in there. Those get brought to the idiots house and left on their porch where they usually end up back in the drop box the next day. We play that game until the idiot either realizes their :censored2: isn't going anywhere or they wait for me and try to give me :censored2: and I point out their stupidity.

UPS goes back to the station where the CSR calls UPS to come pick their stuff up and where they tell us to bring it to the UPS store. It sits behind the counter till UPS comes and picks it up.

The only stuff I pick up on route has an E on it. Anything else the customer asks or tells me to pup, I say I can't and let them figure it out.

McFeely

Huge Member
Quick question for the Ground people: How much on average do you guys receive from FX for each Ground package pickup? Is it a set amount per stop, then an additional amount per package?

I'm Express so I have no idea what the contractor in my area makes on deliveries or pickups.

It will be fine

Quick question for the Ground people: How much on average do you guys receive from FX for each Ground package pickup? Is it a set amount per stop, then an additional amount per package?

I'm Express so I have no idea what the contractor in my area makes on deliveries or pickups.
$2.50-3ish total for a stop, it's only $.10-.15 per piece. If you regularly hand the ground guy boxes at shared pickups you're doing him a nice favor. If he's paid by the stop by his contractor you're probably giving him about $1.25 every time you do it.

McFeely

Huge Member
Eh, it's usually only 1-2 small packages each day. We both end up at the same FASC as our last stop and that's where I give them to him. I figured I was helping the customer out and helping the contractor make an extra buck or two along the way. It's too bad that his drivers don't get paid per stop, though.

BoxStomper69

Goldmember
I'm a Ground Driver that will take the occasional Express box/envelope. It's usually people that I've known for years and for every 500 boxes, they ship out an Express at the last minute.
Especially if the girl is hot.