Why do I have to call in each while on Short Term Disability?

tieguy

Banned
I dont carry contract books home with me.

Not only is the language in there it is your responsibility to ask your supervisor how often he requires you to update him.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I have to agree with Tie and Upstate on this. Work as directed, or call in as directed. If you feel you're being harrassed, file on it. Let the grievance procedure determine right or wrong.

its a shame that everybody has to worry about this kind of stuff, and just go out there and deliver the packages that the customers pay ups to move for them. Why so much drama, this company has to be one of the worst. Mgt dont touch pkgs, labor give fair days work...pretty easy, not that hard of concept. This tit for tat BS is slowing the company.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
lol what a stupid ass comment to make. I just told you i don't carry contract books home.

I'm pretty sure you wouldn't make this type of defensive comment if you really knew what you were talking about. The burden of proof is on you (or anyone else that wants to chime in). I am not saying you're wrong, but I have never heard nor read anything like what you are talking about in the national contract. Perhaps your local supplement? I am simply asking to see it, you can take your time and get back to me next week if you wish. Sure, we can all just make outlandish comments too with no proof. Hey tie, the sky is falling! Lookout!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
its a shame that everybody has to worry about this kind of stuff, and just go out there and deliver the packages that the customers pay ups to move for them. Why so much drama, this company has to be one of the worst. Mgt dont touch pkgs, labor give fair days work...pretty easy, not that hard of concept. This tit for tat BS is slowing the company.
Can't argue with that. :peaceful:

tieguy

Banned
I'm pretty sure you wouldn't make this type of defensive comment if you really knew what you were talking about. The burden of proof is on you (or anyone else that wants to chime in). I am not saying you're wrong, but I have never heard nor read anything like what you are talking about in the national contract. Perhaps your local supplement? I am simply asking to see it, you can take your time and get back to me next week if you wish. Sure, we can all just make outlandish comments too with no proof. Hey tie, the sky is falling! Lookout!

geez you caught me . Do i owe you anything for the crap house diagnosis?:crazy2:

SWORDFISH

I am absolutely shocked that you a shop steward would try to give that kind of advice that could cause someone to lose their job. Would you actually tell someone to roll the dice and not make that phone call?

Im shocked that your trying to tell people things that are untrue. I would tell a person to do what makes them feel comfortable but I would need to know the circumstances for which I was making that comment. I do believe you may be right w/ an on the job injury but off the job is totally different. For instance a someone was pregnant last year and she produced a DR. note saying she will be off work for I think it was 9 months after that she was done. She didnt need nor did she call them to stay in touch. If they cannot figure out a certified DR.s note Im sorry for them but they have no ground to stand on. If she got pregnant on the job however I believe your right she may have to stay in contact.:funny:

tieguy

Banned
Im shocked that your trying to tell people things that are untrue. I would tell a person to do what makes them feel comfortable but I would need to know the circumstances for which I was making that comment. I do believe you may be right w/ an on the job injury but off the job is totally different. For instance a someone was pregnant last year and she produced a DR. note saying she will be off work for I think it was 9 months after that she was done. She didnt need nor did she call them to stay in touch. If they cannot figure out a certified DR.s note Im sorry for them but they have no ground to stand on. If she got pregnant on the job however I believe your right she may have to stay in contact.:funny:

its real simple sword if I'm wrong I cost the op a phone call each week. If you're wrong you just cost the OP and anyone else reading this board that believes you their job. This is an issue where your desire to one up the management guy has to take a back seat to the best interests of the OP. In this scenario your pigheadedness makes me a better shop steward then you.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Sword, Tie has a point and please stop and remember that contract language is different from region to region and practice is different from center to center. IMHO the best advice is to work first (or in this situation, call first) and let the grievance procedure iron out whether a weekly call is necessary or not. There is no reason that you (or anyone else), as a steward, could not file a grievance on behalf of the member that is out on disability. There is no sense in risking losing ones job because one did not call in as instructed. We always hear, and I always tell someone else (unless it is a safety issue) work first, grieve later.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Sword, Tie has a point and please stop and remember that contract language is different from region to region and practice is different from center to center. IMHO the best advice is to work first (or in this situation, call first) and let the grievance procedure iron out whether a weekly call is necessary or not. There is no reason that you (or anyone else), as a steward, could not file a grievance on behalf of the member that is out on disability. There is no sense in risking losing ones job because one did not call in as instructed. We always hear, and I always tell someone else (unless it is a safety issue) work first, grieve later.

I only have an issue with Tie saying it's in the contract. If it is great, I just want to read that section and get educated. Agree with you 100%, work as directed, as logic and understanding should and usually would be followed given whatever circumstances are there.

tieguy

Banned
I only have an issue with Tie saying it's in the contract. If it is great, I just want to read that section and get educated. Agree with you 100%, work as directed, as logic and understanding should and usually would be followed given whatever circumstances are there.

yea! he might right but damn I'm mad cause the man wouldn't quote contract scripture to me when I snapped my fingers. :rofl:

Blizzard

Article 52 section 3 ( abscence notification )

"the employee shall determine from the company how frequently he shall call the company to report his progress. The employee will notify the company when he is able to return to work"

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm really starting to get a complex. It seems everytime I post a question its starts some kind of fight. Oh well enjoy your fighting and I'll enjoy reading it.

I'll just do as directed and call in. Can't say work because I'm not there. :wink2:

tieguy

Banned
Thats only correct on a small injury not a disabiblity injury. Such as last year when I had a minor injury off the job, I contacted my center manager each week to let him know what was going on because it was a short term injury like week to week. However I had another injury that was not week to week that the DR. put me out of work for a month and I notified the center manager that I would be out of work and for what period of time and faxed them the note. At that point he cannot request that I call him each week when I have been put out of work by the DR for a month.

So your half right in the cases of a short term injury but in the long term your incorrect. I am familiar w/ procedures of injuries and Im also familiar w/ the tactics that some management use that are incorrect
:peaceful:

you are likely lying but I'm not offended because I've been lied to by people much more intelligent; except I believed them! :happy-very:

I even got called a liar on this one. got to love it.

fxdwg

Long Time Member
Thanks for all the feedback. I'm really starting to get a complex. It seems everytime I post a question its starts some kind of fight. Oh well enjoy your fighting and I'll enjoy reading it.

I'll just do as directed and call in. Can't say work because I'm not there. :wink2:

Ha Ha Ha......Sorry to laugh, but you are so correct.
It seems like one argument or attack after another.
It's neither fun nor a source of good information anymore.
Don't go to the 2727 thread as those people are the epitomy of argument. Pack o' .....

SWORDFISH

Article 52 section 3 ( abscence notification )

"the employee shall determine from the company how frequently he shall call the company to report his progress. The employee will notify the company when he is able to return to work"

BLIZZARD YOU ARE THE FREAKING MAN! GOtta get your rep up for that gem. I couldnt remember where that was for the life of me but apparently some people think I try to get others fired by giving bad advice. Everyone can swallow their tongue now that was opposing me. I was just trying to be helpfull and people that dont know what they are talking about telling me Im going to get people fired.
:peaceful: