Why do some veteran drivers prefer swinging over their own route?

Grey

I haven't been driving for too long but had a question about guys wanting or not wanting their own route. According to the seniority list at our hub (huge list) a lot of guys that started in the 90's are still swing drivers and several guys from the 07-08' timeframe have their own easy routes that are 90% resi.

When routes are bid upon most of the vets could easily get their own route yet they prefer swinging while newer guys know what they're gonna have everyday and seem much happier. So I ask, why? Just simple preference...?

F

FrigidAdCorrector

We have a couple guys like that in my center. They don't have the seniority to bid on the desirable routes and would rather cover everyday than pick up a route they don't want. Plus a lot of those senior guys take a lot of vacation or take a lot of unpaid days and they end up running their routes often anyways.

brostalss

Being Top Dog Swing (we call them Utility) Driver is a good gig. You get to pick which "Juice" route you want to do. I made it to 4th Top Dog and was loving it. The Senior Guys would come up to me and tell me they are on vacation next week and see if I'll do their route. I took care of their customers and did the job. They didn't have to worry when they got back.

The only thing I miss about being a Swing Driver is exploring new areas. You got to see or know what is coming to your area. New businesses, housing tracks, etc.

It basically comes down to choice.

And then again, some of the new routes up for bid may be crap. You gotta wait for something good to come up.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Are you talking about "split" drivers? Swinging is done off hours.

77afestrunks2.jpg

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
i wouldnt swing unless it was $10.00 more an hour. Our center with 80 drivers has a reputation of throwing whoever is available on a route blind and throwing an extra 20 on it.

ArcherUTR

The only part of swinging that I miss is unending quest for hotties.

There were two bids where I passed on taking one of the bottom routes. I just figured that they sucked if they made it all the way down to me.

But I imagine being "top dog" would be a nice. At least with your own route you know how you are going to be :censored2:ed every day

rod

Retired 22 years
The guys I knew who loved running different routes always said that they were hassled less by management that way. Apparently the old :dont_know: routine somewhat works when put on a strange route

ManInBrown

The guys I knew who loved running different routes always said that they were hassled less by management that way. Apparently the old :dont_know: routine somewhat works when put on a strange route

This. If one has a lot of area knowledge, it tends to keep Mgmt off one's back. You don't get bothered as much about the petty BS

Not saying at all that, that is why the vets don't bid a route.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
We have a couple guys like that in my center. They don't have the seniority to bid on the desirable routes and would rather cover everyday than pick up a route they don't want. Plus a lot of those senior guys take a lot of vacation or take a lot of unpaid days and they end up running their routes often anyways.
Yep. Top man without a route here. Likely won't have one for another 5+ years.

Why would I do 180 stops a day when I can do 65?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
i wouldnt swing unless it was $10.00 more an hour. Our center with 80 drivers has a reputation of throwing whoever is available on a route blind and throwing an extra 20 on it.
More money in my pocket. They :censored2: me in the ass. I kick them in the nuts.