Why do we fail to follow proper driver release methods?

Integrity

Binge Poster
To all,

We obviously can't control some of internal processes that intentionally and knowingly trash customers packages.

The crushing way that the packages are processed on the conveyor systems is obviously out of the control of anyone but the most courageous.

Who is actually brave enough to stop a conveyor when the crush is on?

The widespread throwing, the dropping, the breaking open of packages is chronic, blatant and obviously acceptable to the management.

The inability to process larger packages (over 70s) is clearly evident by seeing the daily destruction of many of them.

This being said, it would be an act of integrity by any employee to be brave and show courage by controlling what they can personally control to protect the customers property.

Following driver release methods is one way drivers can control the service level of the packages that they handle.

In a recent thread a driver didn't properly protect a package from the snow. Placing an unbagged package in the snow is not protecting it from the snow.

Package delivery companies take peoples money and their property. They owe the customer. The customer does not owe them.

We owe the customer.

How do you do with driver release bags?

What are some of the reasons you do not not use them every time you should?

Is there proper inventory control with DR bags at your center?

I know we had 2 very rainy days that many of us went out without DR bags.

I did not have this problem, but I know many others did.

Please if you have a view point please participate in this discussion.

Don't let the snarky, sarcastic responses intimidate you from sharing. You'll get to know who you can expect this from.

They seem to usually mean no harm but who cares be courageous, share anyway.

Sincerely,
I

Indecisi0n

If i don't have DR bags then i will find a spot to put the package out of the rain. Even if it means the neighbors porch (only if houses are close- with notice). A lot of the packages i deliver are an embarrassment to me. I DR them still because i am a casual and im not about to start waves but when i become FT i will be returning A LOT more packages than i do now to be "inspected."

At the new ups all that stuff plays second fiddle to logistics. United Parcel was a service company. This Wall Street based company only cares about the flavor of the month and this is logistics.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If i don't have DR bags then i will find a spot to put the package out of the rain. Even if it means the neighbors porch (only if houses are close- with notice). A lot of the packages i deliver are an embarrassment to me. I DR them still because i am a casual and im not about to start waves but when i become FT i will be returning A LOT more packages than i do now to be "inspected."

The sad reality is that the inverse will be true.

I had an Over 70 return going back to a MBE store. My loader held it out of the car as this thing had been trashed. We ended up leaving it under the belt as there was no way I was going to deliver it. It took two days and several messages from the OMS but we got it rewrapped and returned to the shipper. It would have been much easier just to deliver it the first day but walking in there with this package would have told them just how little we care about their packages.

I try to put myself in the consignee's shoes when DRing a package.

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
A few years back we had a trailer load, sat over the weekend and boy did it rain that weekend. Well the trailer had a nice little hole in it and by monday morning it was like a swiming pool inside.

Now what the center manager did next was the funny part to me, did he call up feeders and tell them to stop using trailers with holes in them, NOPE!

He started screaming at 1st the guys in the trailers wading though water to unload the packages, then he went after the preload sup. for the problem. This to me is a UPS today in a nutshell, what happened was not the fault of anyone in our building, but the blame for all those damages was put on our building.

The preload sup, gets yelled at, the center manager gets a bunch of BS from the DM. Now I assume at some point someone was giving feeders an earful too, I would hope.
But when you start yelling at people who have nothing to do with the problem at hand other then they are trying to clean it up, it just shows everyone around that you have no clue.

Another problem is UPS last I heard charges whoever reports the damaged package with the damaged package, this leads building to just pushing damages along until they get to there end point and must be reported, up to and including loading known damages on the PC and then having the driver bring it in at night.\\

Doing the right thing at UPS just seems to long ago, I have said it before customer service died years ago at UPS, his brother common sense has also past away.

Have a happy and safe Thanksgiving all.

Indecisi0n

The sad reality is that the inverse will be true.

I had an Over 70 return going back to a MBE store. My loader held it out of the car as this thing had been trashed. We ended up leaving it under the belt as there was no way I was going to deliver it. It took two days and several messages from the OMS but we got it rewrapped and returned to the shipper. It would have been much easier just to deliver it the first day but walking in there with this package would have told them just how little we care about their packages.

I try to put myself in the consignee's shoes when DRing a package.

Don't get me wrong when i see packages like TV's and such that are damaged i will return them but on the other hand there are some that i push back to shape or retape and DEL. The other day i have a box that was in half and it was a pair of sneakers. The sneakers weren't damaged at all but you could clearly see them. Not sure if this is the right thing to do but i knocked and the customer was home(if he/she wasn't home i would have returned them). I explained the box was damaged but her shoes weren't. I asked her if she wanted to inspect them and advice me if she wanted to return or accept the shoes. She took them out the box and they were fine. She accepted them and thanked me a lot because they were for her son's birthday which was the next day. If i had simply returned the package she wouldn't have had them for his bday. That made me feel good.

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
I explained the box was damaged but her shoes weren't. I asked her if she wanted to inspect them and advice me if she wanted to return or accept the shoes. She took them out the box and they were fine. She accepted them and thanked me a lot because they were for her son's birthday which was the next day. If i had simply returned the package she wouldn't have had them for his bday. That made me feel good.

That's customer service & I give u a thumbs up for that. It's frustrating though how we don't have enough time allowance for anything including that.

But when you start yelling at people who have nothing to do with the problem at hand other then they are trying to clean it up, it just shows everyone around that you have no clue.

Another problem is UPS last I heard charges whoever reports the damaged package with the damaged package, this leads building to just pushing damages along until they get to there end point and must be reported, up to and including loading known damages on the PC and then having the driver bring it in at night.\\

That what I've heard and that's what I've seen happen. makes no sence. It should instead fall back to whatever stage it was prior to the last reported area. Even go as far as to take picture of damaged piece in trailer, or can or shuttle, etc. before removing if nec...

It's just to difficult cause volumns of pieces are right behind the damaged piece needing to get pushed through. We are to big for our own good.

Doing the right thing at UPS just seems to long ago, I have said it before customer service died years ago at UPS, his brother common sense has also past away.

Have a happy and safe Thanksgiving all.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
It is true. If there is a damage reported by a customer from a package that you delivered, your name is attached to the damage. Though it may be that the damage occurred somewhere in transit but you made the final delivery. You should have caught it.
If there is a questionable package you are to take it to the clerk and have it examined.

Despite the advocated use of DR bags(and we are trained in this method) they do not keep moisture from condensing on the inside of the bag. If left unattended long enough the package will become soaked anyway. Case in point.....a pair of expensive cowboy boots were bagged and left at a customers location.......over the winter. The customer had moved back home from his summer home in the mountains. When UPS went to recover the boots in the spring the box was soaked, the boots ruined. Not a hole in the bag anywhere. Though the boots were left for a few months in this case, I have seen condensation form on the inside of bags soaking the package within the space of a day.

AKX

Handle every package as if it were your own. Deliver them just the same in a secure location bagged or out of the weather. UPS the company may be all about the bottom line and could care less but its really up to the employee whether or not we follow the same path since we are the ones handling the packages. Do the right thing.

I think 407 is talking about catching the damage before attempting delivery. We sheet those as Future (per B.Salontino) and type "damage" in the remarks.
Correct if the customer thinks it's damaged we sheet it as refused didn't want. If we think it's damaged and are to embarrassed to show the customer then we sheet it as missed.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
The ones that burn me up are the pkgs with the size 15 footprints stomped into it. Nothing says caring like a box with the guts stomped out of it.How do you guys sheet up a pkg to be rewrapped?Ive been here for 22 years and I have not received a straight answer yet.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
If I think a package may be damaged, I sheet it as missed and dirt it as such and write inspect for damage.
If a customer refuses a package because it is damaged, I sheet it refused/damaged.
I have been instructed not sheet them this way, but I do it anyway.
I am not required to follow instructions that are dishonest and I will not help them artificially manufacture a false stat.