Why does the clock in/out machine suck?

BrownThunder

Can someone explain why the machine we use to swipe our time in/out has so many problems? Everyone I talk to tells me they are shorted on time her and there.

Is this not a multi-billion dollar international corporation? They still have not figured out a simple machine that records exactly when you get in and exactly when you swipe out, then adds up those hours and applies them accurately to your pay?

I don't get it, this is the first job I've ever worked where I have to follow up about the time I've spent working

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
What's their logic behind that? We already get paid such a low wage, why not give us what we've worked for?
Say your operation has 60 employees. Take 2 minutes off everyone check and it looks like your boss did his job with 2 hours less manpower than he actually did.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I was shorted exactly 15 minutes a week for about 5 weeks until I brought it up to a steward. we filed but they paid me 2 hours overtime to drop the grievance.

I asked if they did that to everyone. I asked around and other people said they thought they were being shorted too.

I agreed to drop the grievance if they would stop shorting people. they did not admit of any wrong doing but the shorts stopped.

integrity? ya , in your dreams.

then they wonder why so many of us have a cynical attitude.

BrownThunder

My PT sup on the belt I work is a d bag too, everyone complains about him. I'm going to need a print out of the recorded hours for the week, and get my pay adjusted.

This is not my primary revenue stream, but it's the principal. I work very hard and expect to be paid for every second I'm clocked in minus lunch.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

Lol it's not the machine.

It's the sups changing your time card.
If they changed his timecard it wouldn't appear on the punch out screen. The hourly punch in only transmits to the timecard system, it doesn't receive any information with the exception of start time changes prior to the employee punching in.

Are you sure you have the right start time? Because if you worked from say 6-9 it is going to show you worked 3:00 Hours. There is no way we as supervisors can change what it says on that screen. I had a guy the other day who forgot to punch in, so it looks like he's short 4 hours even though it shows on my report that he worked 4 hours.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
If they changed his timecard it wouldn't appear on the punch out screen. The hourly punch in only transmits to the timecard system, it doesn't receive any information with the exception of start time changes prior to the employee punching in.

Are you sure you have the right start time? Because if you worked from say 6-9 it is going to show you worked 3:00 Hours. There is no way we as supervisors can change what it says on that screen. I had a guy the other day who forgot to punch in, so it looks like he's short 4 hours even though it shows on my report that he worked 4 hours.
I don't think he's talking about on the machine though.

I think he's talking on paychecks n

BrownThunder

For the sake of honesty, I should tell the complete truth.

I lost my sign in card and did not swipe my card once last week. I did however, write down my arrival/departure times and handed it to my PT Sup. He assured me not only would he enter my time, but he would have a new card for me the very next day.

I spent the entire week bugging him about my card, and he kept saying he'll have it the next day. Well... yesterday I said screw it and asked my initial trainer who directed me to the scan room. My guy over there gave me a new card in 2 minutes.

The clock in/out system is still flawed, and I get nothing but bad feedback from co-workers who say they get shorted left and right.

UPSmechanicinblue

you can have them run a report on your time card, It will show exact times you put in your time card, if any changes where made, and if changes where made who made the changes, what time changes where made along with what they where before and after the change. Some sups didn't know this in the past and no longer work with the company.

trickpony1

Brownthunder-
The company espouses "honesty and integrity" but will screw you in a heartbeat knowing there is a 50/50 chance you won't catch it.

If you catch it they can say, "oops! someone made a mistake, I'll fix it".

Become accustomed to it.

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.