Why is an 8 hr request not really 8 hours?

ups1990

According the the Union. UPS can work a driver with an 8hr request, 8.50hrs and still be considered to have the request met. Can someone please explain how this can be so? Only if one works over 8.50 can they file for not having the request met.

Dagoof

According the the Union. UPS can work a driver with an 8hr request, 8.50hrs and still be considered to have the request met. Can someone please explain how this can be so? Only if one works over 8.50 can they file for not having the request met.

I believe a half for lunch is not counted

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Guaranteed 8 hours and our planning tools (allowances) can only get it to within 21 minutes on average 95% of the time.

705red

Browncafe Steward
That was changed in this last contract. Now if you work over 8.50 you would receive 2 hours of penalty pay. Also ups can refuse your request and pay you 2 hours of penalty also. This is a load of crap, and a reason that we did not accept this change in 705. 8 hours is 8 hours not 8 and a half. IMO

Catatonic

Nine Lives
is hoax a sup?

A manager working on UPS.com stuff.

I was in operations/District for 18 years but not since 1992.

So not an operations sup which is what your question is actually referring to.

Try to stay in touch with package operations as much as I can to help me do my job better.

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
Guaranteed 8 hours and our planning tools (allowances) can only get it to within 21 minutes on average 95% of the time.
If this is true than it sounds to me like management needs to honor an 8 hour request by giving a 7.5 dispatch to make sure they get it right and not go over 8 hours

OMG you are guaranteed 8 hours its called a margin for error ... if a exact 8 is so important take a sick day!!!! thank God we are workin . bitch, bitch bitch some people just require it.Half full not half empty thank you

some1else

Banned
so yo get one req. 8 a month. i wonder if it would pay off to req. it every month on a day you know will be busy, then hope for penalty pay? or better off just keeping my 9.5 dispatch...

lets just say I want my cake and to eat it too!!!!!! 8 or 8 1/2 *** its not a big difference is it?