Why is the DIAD keyboard ABCD rather than QWERTY? The reason I can't walk and DIAD!

AssistantSanta

I grew up using qwerty. My car GPS, computer, cell phone keyboard are all Qwerty.

My old Garmin GPS was ABCD, I hated it. The scanner I get to use as a helper, the DIAD IV is ABC and I find it highly frustrating having to use weird keyboard on the road, and regular keyboard anywhere else.

The lack of alpha shift key is really annoying to when i want to type in something like apartment 2B.

I have to push 2, alpha lock, B because there is no press and hold.

I can walk and text just fine at fairly high WPM on my phone, yet I can't walk and DIAD as my driver is expecting me to be able to do soon.

jaker

trolling
Re: Why is the DIAD keyboard ABCD rather than QWERTY? The reason I can't walk and DI

Yor have not been driving that long i guess , if you know your history type writers used to be ABCD that way but they typing so fast that the machine could not keep up , so they changed the way it was laid out to slow them down and keep from breaking the type writers and this is why we have the lay out now we are used to , so the cubicle jockeys at ups took a lesson from history and laid it out so we could type faster and this is why we have the diad layout now

Re: Why is the DIAD keyboard ABCD rather than QWERTY? The reason I can't walk and DI

And the fact that not everyone is a typist or familiar with qwerty. The first feeder IVIS units were ABCD but the GenII switched to qwerty. The newest are touch screen.

old levi's

blank space

I grew up using qwerty. My car GPS, computer, cell phone keyboard are all Qwerty.

My old Garmin GPS was ABCD, I hated it. The scanner I get to use as a helper, the DIAD IV is ABC and I find it highly frustrating having to use weird keyboard on the road, and regular keyboard anywhere else.

The lack of alpha shift key is really annoying to when i want to type in something like apartment 2B.

I can walk and text just fine at fairly high WPM on my phone, yet I can't walk and DIAD as my driver is expecting me to be able to do soon.
I keep my board in Alpha all the time; when I type a # press and hold the toggle key. Then hit the number and release.

robot

Has A Large Member

it's the 21st century. should be qwerty!

klein

Für Meno :)

It goes by senoirity like everything else.
The oldtimers have the say, and they wouldn't know what to do with new technology !

Just another example of logistics.

rod

Retired 22 years

the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog---uses every letter in the alphabet

typewriter-- longest word you can type using the 1st row of letter keys

stewardesses--longest word you can type using only your left hand (unless you are a one fingered typist)

lollipop
-- longest word you can type using only your right hand (also see above)

As usual all these "facts" are debatable)

DiadDude

1. A QWERTY keyboard needs at least 10 keys across, while an ABC layout which can be done with fewer keys in each row.
2. Fewer keys = larger keys in a device that is the same overall width.
3. Width is a very important dimension when evaluating a keyboard to be used with only the thumbs.
4. People in MN don't like small keys (trust me I talked to them) since it gets cold and they wear gloves while delivering.

In short, using an ABC layout allows the largest keys in a device narrow enough to be used with the thumbs

mikeny

Service Provider

if your driver is using the new smaller touch screen DIAD, ask to use that one. pretty much what i did and my driver said what ever makes me faster he's cool with.