Why is UPS management considered: "The Dark Side"?

illegalcourier

I've been a preloader for about 1 year. And enjoy working here at UPS. It's a good fit for me while in college.

Why is management (supervisor, administrative, non-driver, etc.) considered "the dark side"?

Doesn't seem like a bad gig to me? Fair pay, full time job, working administrative duties and so forth.

I've heard: Don't go management--don't sell your soul to the devil.

Realistically, what is so bad about doing that type of work? There are people willing to do it. So it can't be that bad, can it?

PT Car Washer

I've been a preloader for about 1 year. And enjoy working here at UPS. It's a good fit for me while in college.

Why is management (supervisor, administrative, non-driver, etc.) considered "the dark side"?

Doesn't seem like a bad gig to me? Fair pay, full time job, working administrative duties and so forth.

Realistically, what is so bad about doing that type of work? There are people willing to do it. So it can't be that bad, can it?
A lot of PT and FT management people are great. It is just that their bosses require them to do some unethical things sometimes.

Management turned me into someone I never wanted to be. I never understood what 'politics' really meant until I got promoted. We do the dirty work that upper management don't. While they take the credit for the for the good

illegalcourier

Got it. And completely understand.

My only thinking is, I cannot work pre-load for the rest of my life making < $20.

My degree is in underwater basket-weaving. I don't know anyone who can help me find a job. I do enjoy UPS. And sure as hell wish I knew how to drive a stick-shift.

HardknocksUPSer

This one isn't even worth anwsering.

oldngray

nowhere special

My only thinking is, I cannot work pre-load for the rest of my life making < $20.

My degree is in underwater basket-weaving. I don't know anyone who can help me find a job. I do enjoy UPS. And sure as hell wish I knew how to drive a stick-shift.

You are probably qualified for a position in IE.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone

Is that for real???

brown metal coffin

Well every center is different but here goes:

• When there are fiscal cuts; UPS starts at the top (meaning management)
  • If they want you to move and uproot your family and be across the country to a new location in 2 weeks you have to go. Actually you can turn down the assignment but you will either be let go or passed over for promotions when they come along in the future (most likely)
  • You will most likely never top out with pay the way an average driver that has achieved progression will along with pension and etc.
  • You will work longer for retirement ( I think 35 years) Although depending on your locals pension fund and how much its funded; that could be a toss up.
  • They eat their own. Ive seen happen right in front of me. They will turn and throw each other to the wolves in a heartbeat to save their skin.
  • They teach to rule with an iron fist with intimidation, manipulation and sometimes outright threats.
These are just a few of the things that I have seen in my center. I don't know how it is everywhere else but Im sure that it couldn't be that far off. Also, these are just a few of the things that I have seen but Im sure a supervisor could tell you in a lot more detail.

illegalcourier

Well every center is different but here goes:

• When there are fiscal cuts; UPS starts at the top (meaning management)
  • If they want you to move and uproot your family and be across the country to a new location in 2 weeks you have to go. Actually you can turn down the assignment but you will either be let go or passed over for promotions when they come along in the future (most likely)
  • You will most likely never top out with pay the way an average driver that has achieved progression will along with pension and etc.
  • You will work longer for retirement ( I think 35 years) Although depending on your locals pension fund and how much its funded; that could be a toss up.
  • They eat their own. Ive seen happen right in front of me. They will turn and throw each other to the wolves in a heartbeat to save their skin.
  • They teach to rule with an iron fist with intimidation, manipulation and sometimes outright threats.
These are just a few of the things that I have seen in my center. I don't know how it is everywhere else but Im sure that it couldn't be that far off. Also, these are just a few of the things that I have seen but Im sure a supervisor could tell you in a lot more detail.

Thank you very much for your informative answer.