Why just why.....

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Went to UPS to pick up my next day air package so I can get the job finished by lunch.

While booking down the access road from the center to the interstate, I noticed three drivers driving while having the diad on the steering wheel or on their lap looking at it. Then another 6 going down the interstate, doing the same thing. Only one driver did not have his diad out. All 9 were looking or punching the diad while driving 40-70MPH on busy streets.

What the heck is going on?

d

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Time......................or the lack thereof. We are pushed so hard anymore, hurry up, get out the door, hurry hurry hurry.:surprised: I have done it myself. I know, it's a lame excuse.

You do realize that EDD is part of the problem. It's to easy to slip the diad in the holder and then later, while driving, pick it up and look at it. The next stop is right there at the touch of a fingertip. There is no more remembering stops. EDD does it for us.

JustTired

free at last.......
While booking down the access road from the center to the interstate, I noticed three drivers driving while having the diad on the steering wheel or on their lap looking at it. Then another 6 going down the interstate, doing the same thing. Only one driver did not have his diad out. All 9 were looking or punching the diad while driving 40-70MPH on busy streets.
d

Diad?????..........is that what they're calling it these days?!?!:wink2:

raceanoncr

Correct me if I'm wrong here. I thot that thing was sposed to ding you on your report when you took it out whilst moving. Right or wrong? I ain't a PC driver and never did use one in my life.

Brown_Eyed_Girl

Yes it is supposed to report back to the center how many times you use it enroute. Also including when the bulkhead door is open while the car is in motion or even stopped, driving without a seatbelt and probably other things I can't think of now. Sucks in the winter time since you can't have the heat on while searching for packages.

Dookiebrowns

The diad only reports use while driving, when you enter or stop complete while the car is in motion. Otherwise it's fairgame. Next time why don't you pay attention to your driving instead of others Dannyboy.:surprised:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The diad only reports use while driving, when you enter or stop complete while the car is in motion. Otherwise it's fairgame. Next time why don't you pay attention to your driving instead of others Dannyboy.:surprised:

I agree wholeheartedly with Danny on this and thank him for bringing this to our attention. Distracted driving, whether it be talking on the cell phone, reading the newspaper, putting on makeup, eating/drinking, or looking at your DIAD are all an accident waiting to happen.

Danny was simply looking out for our best interests and I applaud him for that.

He may be retired but he still has brown blood.:happy2:

old levi's

blank space
I agree wholeheartedly with Danny on this and thank him for bringing this to our attention. Distracted driving, whether it be talking on the cell phone, reading the newspaper, putting on makeup, eating/drinking, or looking at your DIAD are all an accident waiting to happen.

Danny was simply looking out for our best interests and I applaud him for that.

He may be retired but he still has brown blood.:happy2:

Here,here. Beers all around - off the clock, of course!:happy-very:

whiskey

Went to UPS to pick up my next day air package so I can get the job finished by lunch.

d
You've got to be kidding, aren't you?

Catatonic

Nine Lives

d
Texting.

Cementups

Box Monkey
You can play with the DIAD all you want while driving with telematics. Just do not scan a package or close out a stop or pick up while the vehicle is running.

porkwagon

I agree with Danny boy! I see drivers doing that too and there really is no reason for it. How can one not remember where they are going next? If you can't remember, look the next time your stopped at a light or something. Be profesional and keep your eyes on the road.

brown bomber

brown bomber
Our management team always drive around spying on us and will terminate anyone they see doing that! :smart:
they will follow, while talking on the cell-phone....let's even the playing field..................and why is it that feeders can talk on the cell-phone

Last edited by a moderator:

BrownArmy

Follow the methods (what part of the 340 is knowing the next 5 stops in advance?).

If you know the next 5 (or 10) stops, you don't need to look at the DIAD while driving. Aside from slowing you down and sapping your attention, there's no upside... (full disclosure, I pull it out from time to time while driving, mostly to check the time or to respond to another inane center message, so I also need to check my safe/at risk behaviors)...

Don't look at the DIAD while driving, or else you'll be like all the other people who seem like they don't know how to drive, until you realize they're texting.

I'm amazed at the people who seemingly pull DUMB-*****-MOVES in front of my ?-ton BIG BROWN TRUCK, until I realize they're on the celly or texting. They didn't even see me.

My thought is, it's going to hurt them a heck of a lot more then it's going to hurt me (if we got into an accident, that is).

But we won't ever get into an accident, because I'm on my game and I'm a professional driver, and I won't be there for them to hit me and/or be in a place where I'll hit them before I can react.

Don't hate the 5 and 10...the constant repetition is galling at points, but I don't even think about it in terms of management and their inopportune quizzes.

It's actually good advice.

satellitedriver

Short answer,
stupidity.
Long answer,
the drivers are probably reading the safety driving messages sent through out the day.
I.E.;
Was that last back necessary?
Keep a safe space cushion.
Slow down on wet roads.
Ect .......!
Drivers will never see this next safe driving tip on his diad.
Pull over and stop your pkg car. Secure it, then read the following message.
My diatribe will continue, on this final note.
There is no such thing as multi-tasking, and being efficient.
Multi- tasking, is just doing several things poorly.
When one drives, total focus should be on that task, for personal safety and the public safety, at large.
What the heck is going on?, is one heck of a question.