Why just why.....

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Short answer,
stupidity.
Long answer,
the drivers are probably reading the safety driving messages sent through out the day.
I.E.;
Was that last back necessary?
Keep a safe space cushion.
Slow down on wet roads.
Ect .......!
Drivers will never see this next safe driving tip on his diad.
Pull over and stop your pkg car. Secure it, then read the following message.
My diatribe will continue, on this final note.
There is no such thing as multi-tasking, and being efficient.
Multi- tasking, is just doing several things poorly.
When one drives, total focus should be on that task, for personal safety and the public safety, at large.
What the heck is going on?, is one heck of a question.
Sat, it isn't safe driving right now. It's dehydration and sales leads. :peaceful: But you are right, it is stupid.

browniehound

I have to agree with Danny here. There is no excuse for this. I don't care how short on time you are. Its one thing to grab the DIAD to look at your next stop, but to actually type on it doing 55 MPH is DEADLY.

Its the same as texting on your cell phone and I believe its just as bad as drunk driving. I had a near miss on Wed. due to a middle-aged man (you would think it would be a teenager) texting while driving.

I'm driving the UPS truck at about 15 MPH on a side street approaching a busy main street. I'm about 50 yards away from the main street when a guys turns on to this side road. He's going too fast and he's on my side of the road. Then he continues on my side so I beep and stop the truck. He's still coming at me so I lean on the horn. Just in time he looks up from his cell phone to see me. He was on the wrong side of the road for all of this 50 yards.

The guy would have been dead because he was doing about 35. My legs probably would have been broken. If it were a civilian car, both drivers would have been severely injured.

UPS' seeing habit # 5 prevented this accident. "make sure they see you. communicate in traffic using your horns, lights, and signals". This would have been an unavoidable accident because I was stopped and he was headed right at me. Still, the seeing habit prevented an ugly situation.

Use the seeing habits, they are there to protect you also. not just the company.

Brownie

NHDRVR

Went to UPS to pick up my next day air package so I can get the job finished by lunch.

While booking down the access road from the center to the interstate, I noticed three drivers driving while having the diad on the steering wheel or on their lap looking at it. Then another 6 going down the interstate, doing the same thing. Only one driver did not have his diad out. All 9 were looking or punching the diad while driving 40-70MPH on busy streets.

What the heck is going on?

d

"Here at UPS, we promote efficiency by making sure our drivers have the best equipment available. We don't want any distractions to affect how our employees handle their vehicles so we don't send pesky messages while they are working and we double and triple check our dispatch numbers to allow for on-road occurrences that could alter their planned day."

or...

Since there is no excuse for typing while driving these drivers should pull over or wait til' the next stop. If someone feels so pressed that they have to type while they are going 50 down the road then someone needs to pull them aside and tell them to slow the **** down.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Couple of things.

These were drivers headed to their routes. They had just left the building.

Doing 45-50 down the access road, where there are a lot of side streets

Doing 70+ down the interstate, all looking and punching on their diads.

Distracted driving is one of the big causes of accidents at UPS. Always has been, and will. Pretty much half the time I see a driver during the day, they are on the cell phone. I know, lots of things going on, but it really is hard to believe that they have to be on the phone that much.

But the diad thing takes both their mind and their eyes off the road.

Believe me, when you hit a car in the rear or side because you were on the phone or screwing around with your diad, your butt will be gone. And getting it back will be a real chore.

BTW, many of the guys at UPS I helped train, I mentored, many I know their families well. They are friends. And the last thing I ever want to do is go to their funeral, or job hearing.

d

Big Babooba

I saw a Mazda 6 yesterday at one of my p/u's. Cute little car! :wink2:
As cute as this one?

sick6.jpg
">

over9five

Staff member
Feeders aren't supposed to talk on the cell either, BUT...............

the dispatch wants your cell number on file or will lend you a company phone.

raceanoncr

Yeah, they have tried that with me every few days, saying, "We HAVE to have your cell phone #". I say, "No, you don't". You want to talk to me, give me a company phone and I'll respond when I am safely able to.