Why people quit

Jetfixr

Wonder if the staff level folks will ever figure out why long time employees leave on their own? Sometimes the money is not all life is about....
Jet

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
No experience on why drivers quit - but three of my friends who work unload quit just this week.

One was promised to start driving "Monday" for two months, he got fed up with waiting & left.

One failed the driver pre-qual online, figured "why continue here?" & quit.

Another was laughing all the way out the door - mumbling that for $9/hour, he wants to smell french fries.

Did you reply to the 3rd guy "But Benefits are GREAT!"?

And after about 4-5 months I'm making a little under 11. Come February I'll be making a little over 11. Dunno about you BBAG but most of the places I've ever worked it takes more than a year to make even 10.50. And then they top out at like 14. Tell your 3rd friend good luck with fast food.

evilleace

UPS really does shoot itself in the foot with pt employees especially with the benefits now taking a year to get.

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
Did you reply to the 3rd guy "But Benefits are GREAT!"?

And after about 4-5 months I'm making a little under 11. Come February I'll be making a little over 11. Dunno about you BBAG but most of the places I've ever worked it takes more than a year to make even 10.50. And then they top out at like 14. Tell your 3rd friend good luck with fast food.

Here in the north east, UPS is the LOWEST paying employer possible to start.

Add to that, you are unloading, an amazingly physical, demanding job.

McD's starts at $9. Be thankful you live in an area that is cheap

Braveheart

UPS really does shoot itself in the foot with pt employees especially with the benefits now taking a year to get.
I agree! I was against this contract due to part timers getting the shaft for one. I am full time but I was a part timer back in the day for years. The benes were how we got good employees. You staff full time ranks from the part time ranks. If you have a hard time getting good part timers you will have a hard time getting good full timers too.

AznDiablo

CA State Minimum Wage is $8 and they start you off at $8.50, and now that it takes a year to get your benefits. GOOD LUCK with keeping employees now

omgitsnick

i wish my hub had people quit so frequently. they talked about a bad turn over rate during the tour but i guess they fixed the problem:angry:

BoogaBooga

I agree! I was against this contract due to part timers getting the shaft for one. I am full time but I was a part timer back in the day for years. The benes were how we got good employees. You staff full time ranks from the part time ranks. If you have a hard time getting good part timers you will have a hard time getting good full timers too.
Well said. I mistakenly thought that the market was going to force UPS to raise starting wages, and continue the benefit package for part timers. I guess those Ivy League Corporate Guys in Atlanta, and our Let's Stand Up For The Little Guy Teamster's Union have it all worked out.

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
BBAG, the point is, we all work for UPS if it was all that awful we wouldnt work here

Oh, heck, sorry - I speak only of the $8.50/hour unloader working the 3am - 9am shift. It's still fresh with me - if there is a hell, I imagine that is what it is like, but less chance of being killed by 110lb irregulars stacked on the top of the row by sadistic loaders.

Oh, heck, sorry - I speak only of the $8.50/hour unloader working the 3am - 9am shift. It's still fresh with me - if there is a hell, I imagine that is what it is like, but less chance of being killed by 110lb irregulars stacked on the top of the row by sadistic loaders.

It's ALOT harder to load that there than it is to get it down. :wink2:

evilleace

I agree its harder to get it there but it is really hard to get down especially when the wall collapses and it falls!

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I started in 1986 as a part timer for $8/hr. Benefits followed shortly there after. 30-60 days, I don't remember. That was good money then. Frankly at the time I didn't care less about the benefits. I was in college and still on my parents benefits as well as being "immortal". UPS targeted college kids and it was a good fit. Now 22 years later they are offering $8.50 to start with no benefits for a year. So now who are they targeting? They are getting exactly what they deserve and pay for, substandard employees. The majority realize in a short time that it isn't worth it. It's only going to get worse as the contract calls for no increases throughout 2013.

Whether we like it or not UPS and the Teamsters let down the backbone of our operation, the part time employee. We will all pay a price ultimately for selfishly voting in what is becoming an increasingly obvious poor contract. Unfortunately these part timers didn't realize the power their vote carries. Their vast numbers could have easily changed the face of the contract had they mobilized. Who's fault is that? All of ours. Who will pay the price? We all will. We already are.