Why Senior Employees Should Be Pro-Union

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I'm topped-out, and very senior, and obviously very pro-union. It's pretty hard for me to understand other senior employees who don't favor a union, and let me explain why:

1. Even if you topped-out 25 years ago, Fred has still been paying you 5 or 6 dollars less than UPS, and the disparity grows if you're not in a major market. You are also paying very high rates for poor medical and dental coverage.

2. He eliminated your Traditional Pension Plan. A 25-year Traditional Pension payout is about half what a UPS pension is for the same number of years. Fred has bent you over big-time here.

3. Profit-sharing--gone

4. Injuries and sickness. As you get older, the target on your back glows even more brightly. Don't believe me? Ask someone who has been hurt or has had a serious illness, regardless of years with the company.

5. The predatory nature of FedEx. You are always one minor mis-step away from the door. Open Door and GFT are pale comparisons to a legitimate grievance process. "At-will" means FedEx's will, not yours.

6. They want you gone. Topped-out and over 45 means you're a liability, not an asset. Always be aware that they would much rather kill you off and replace you with two 20-somethings.

As a human being, consider your co-workers and their situation(s). Compared to you, they've got very little and no real retirement plan or decent future on the horizon.

FedEx has been stealing from your pile for a very long time, and maybe you think you've "made-it" at Express. Well, you haven't, and if you think you've somehow "beat" Fred or are getting a square deal, you are sadly mistaken. There is nothing they would rather do than get rid of you.

Be smart and sign that card.

Last edited:

thedownhillEXPRESS

Our insurance plan is pretty much a bullseye on the more senior employees and their families.

Besides paying several grand a year in premiums, the co pays and out of pockets are enough to bankrupt just about anyone should they fall ill to something more serious than a cold...

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
I'm also topped out and very senior and I'm more fired up to see a union get in to this s#it hole than most of those with far less years in than me. You're right, MFE. Those other senior employees who think they're sitting pretty are simply delusional. I don't know about the rest of these guys, but MY health isn't getting better with the years that's for damn sure.

bbsam

Staff member
Is it possible that if Express organized the union would end up negotiating a contract better for the new and mid-range and worse for those topped out? If so, is that a sacrifice you would make?

MAKAVELI

Is it possible that if Express organized the union would end up negotiating a contract better for the new and mid-range and worse for those topped out? If so, is that a sacrifice you would make?

How much is FedEx paying you to be a union buster?

bbsam

Staff member
Somebody brought it up in another thread when discussing organizing another company. Number one question was how much they would make. Honest organizers had to say they had no idea. Negotiating is from square one

MAKAVELI

Somebody brought it up in another thread when discussing organizing another company. Number one question was how much they would make. Honest organizers had to say they had no idea. Negotiating is from square one

How are you supposed to have a specific number before you actually negotiate? The key word being negotiate. Is everybody going to get 100 percent off everything they want ? Of course not. But it's obviously a better process than we have now which is exactly no say so.

Last edited:

vantexan

Do you seny that very real possibility? Better to get the answer here than when your coworkers ask.

I seny it! Anyways, if things hold true to form, the company will show proof that they can only afford to give more to 20+ year employees, the topped out people would insist they deserve more because of seniority, and mid-range people will just have to wait their turn. But they will expect us to get out on the picket line with them and pay dues.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I seny it! Anyways, if things hold true to form, the company will show proof that they can only afford to give more to 20+ year employees, the topped out people would insist they deserve more because of seniority, and mid-range people will just have to wait their turn. But they will expect us to get out on the picket line with them and pay dues.

Stop being a victim and get paid what you deserve.

bbsam

Staff member
RPS once had some terminals in Michigan that voted in a union. When the contractors didn't get the settlement increases that the rest of the company got because negotiations were ongoing, they decertified the union. Forewarned is forearmed. Even after Express becomes organized, tension and questions will remain.b nothing wrong with getting answers upfront.