Why the hate?

Fourputt

I've been a Ground driver for a bit now. I am not a contractor, but rather a driver for a contractor. There are 6 of us on the route he owns. He is a very nice guy and runs a good operation. I'm still learning the difference between fedex contractors, express, UPS, etc. I feel good with the route and enjoy the work. I primarily do bulk business deliveries and a small residential area. Anyway, to my question. I work a small, condensed area with mainly bulk deliveries so I frequently encounter UPS, express, postal service and a dozen other merchandisers and drivers for Budweiser, Pepsi, Sparkletts, etc. Im a friendly guy and I've tried bsing with different drivers. I've noticed an unnaturally large percentage of them are extremely rude to me. There are 4 or 5 express drivers I see regularly. One is friendly, the others look at me like I'm filth. Some of them ignore me. I also frequently see UPS drivers, probably 6 or 7 different ones. They are slightly better. Most of them will say hi or give me the "nod" as we pass on the road, which is nothing more than a condescending lowering of the chin. but they won't carry on a conversation with me.... The worst of the bunch are the postal service carriers. They won't even acknowledge me. I made the mistake of asking one a question. I had a bulk delivery to a business complex but they were out to lunch. The complex was huge and I simply approached the postal lady and asked if she was familiar with their work schedule. I very politely asked if she knew when they returned. She looked at me like I had leprecy and told me to "figure it out myself".

Another example.. there is a huge mill where I do late afternoon pickups. I run into UPS fedex freight there every afternoon. One day I had no pickup and I noticed the UPS driver had a bunch, probably 50+. I asked him if he wanted help loading the packages into his truck. He flat out ignored me. Didn't even look up. I don't know if there is a policy on helping out another non fedex driver or touching a ups package and I really don't care. I'll offer to help because it's a nice thing to do. I hate to say it, but Im disgusted by the behaviour of my "peers". We all do the same damn thing, whether it's my paltry 39k a year salary through a contractor, or the union backed 80 grand of the godly, immortal UPS driver, or the federal benefits of the postal worker. These people have no right to be pompous, just as I have no right to be. I have to say though, that the people I encounter who merchandise.. budweiser, pepsi, etc.. are all very nice. I can have a conversation with them. One guy invited me to the gym and we work out together. That's the relationship I like to have with people I work around. So why oh why.. are these people so freakin rude?! Why cant I even talk to them? I just don't understand this dichotomy between a bunch of dudes who do the exact same thing. I'm not a career guy and I don't plan on doing this forever. I am getting ready for graduate school and I love the job because my hours are flexible for school, I can stay in shape, and I can be out in town instead of sitting on my butt. I would just really like to get along with other drivers while Im here.

bbsam

Staff member
MFE will be along shortly to explain to you why do exactly you are filth and why you deserve to be treated as such. Welcome aboard.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I've been a Ground driver for a bit now. I am not a contractor, but rather a driver for a contractor. There are 6 of us on the route he owns. He is a very nice guy and runs a good operation. I'm still learning the difference between fedex contractors, express, UPS, etc. I feel good with the route and enjoy the work. I primarily do bulk business deliveries and a small residential area. Anyway, to my question. I work a small, condensed area with mainly bulk deliveries so I frequently encounter UPS, express, postal service and a dozen other merchandisers and drivers for Budweiser, Pepsi, Sparkletts, etc. Im a friendly guy and I've tried bsing with different drivers. I've noticed an unnaturally large percentage of them are extremely rude to me. There are 4 or 5 express drivers I see regularly. One is friendly, the others look at me like I'm filth. Some of them ignore me. I also frequently see UPS drivers, probably 6 or 7 different ones. They are slightly better. Most of them will say hi or give me the "nod" as we pass on the road, which is nothing more than a condescending lowering of the chin. but they won't carry on a conversation with me.... The worst of the bunch are the postal service carriers. They won't even acknowledge me. I made the mistake of asking one a question. I had a bulk delivery to a business complex but they were out to lunch. The complex was huge and I simply approached the postal lady and asked if she was familiar with their work schedule. I very politely asked if she knew when they returned. She looked at me like I had leprecy and told me to "figure it out myself".

Another example.. there is a huge mill where I do late afternoon pickups. I run into UPS fedex freight there every afternoon. One day I had no pickup and I noticed the UPS driver had a bunch, probably 50+. I asked him if he wanted help loading the packages into his truck. He flat out ignored me. Didn't even look up. I don't know if there is a policy on helping out another non fedex driver or touching a ups package and I really don't care. I'll offer to help because it's a nice thing to do. I hate to say it, but Im disgusted by the behaviour of my "peers". We all do the same damn thing, whether it's my paltry 39k a year salary through a contractor, or the union backed 80 grand of the godly, immortal UPS driver, or the federal benefits of the postal worker. These people have no right to be pompous, just as I have no right to be. I have to say though, that the people I encounter who merchandise.. budweiser, pepsi, etc.. are all very nice. I can have a conversation with them. One guy invited me to the gym and we work out together. That's the relationship I like to have with people I work around. So why oh why.. are these people so freakin rude?! Why cant I even talk to them? I just don't understand this dichotomy between a bunch of dudes who do the exact same thing. I'm not a career guy and I don't plan on doing this forever. I am getting ready for graduate school and I love the job because my hours are flexible for school, I can stay in shape, and I can be out in town instead of sitting on my butt. I would just really like to get along with other drivers while Im here.

You sound like a nice guy, but here's some reality for you. UPS drivers don't respect you because you're Ground, and Ground is largely unprofessional. Ground is also taking a big chunk out of Brown's market share. We don't respect you (not you personally) here at Express because you're taking our business too, plus we are held to a much higher standard than Ground.

Finally, this is an industry where you used to be able to say you were proud to be a professional driver that was paid well and treated with respect by your employer. That's no longer the case, thanks to scam operations like FedEx Ground. Fred S has aimed for the bottom with Ground, and he is augering deeper into the dirt every day.

Nothing personal, but that's why the rest of us hate Ground.

MAKAVELI

MFE will be along shortly to explain to you why do exactly you are filth and why you deserve to be treated as such. Welcome aboard.

And bbsam will explain why you are nothing but an unskilled laborer who doesn't deserve any more than the low wage and no benefits you get.

bbsam

Staff member
And bbsam will explain why you are nothing but an unskilled laborer who doesn't deserve any more than the low wage and no benefits you get.
Incorrect. I will tell you that if you want them, then go get them. I have a driver currently in welding school. Within the year I'm certain he will be gone and earning much more and have bennies as well.

Fourputt

You sound like a nice guy, but here's some reality for you. UPS drivers don't respect you because you're Ground, and Ground is largely unprofessional. Ground is also taking a big chunk out of Brown's market share. We don't respect you (not you personally) here at Express because you're taking our business too, plus we are held to a much higher standard than Ground.

Finally, this is an industry where you used to be able to say you were proud to be a professional driver that was paid well and treated with respect by your employer. That's no longer the case, thanks to scam operations like FedEx Ground. Fred S has aimed for the bottom with Ground, and he is augering deeper into the dirt every day.

Nothing personal, but that's why the rest of us hate Ground.
Thank you very much. That summarized what I've been wondering perfectly. Guess I'll just do my own thing. Thanks for being candid

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

He is not filth...his employer is. That's the problem. I'm sure a lot of Ground guys are good people, but I don't respect them and I don't have much to do with them either. I get tired of them blocking me in alleys, taking 2 dock spots, and doing the other dumb stuff that they do all the time. It's hard to respect day laborers who try and drive trucks.

bbsam

Staff member
I don't think you respect many people anyway. They never seem to measure up. Always something not up to your ideals. It was always better way back when, Express good, Ground bad, blah blah blah.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I don't think you respect many people anyway. They never seem to measure up. Always something not up to your ideals. It was always better way back when, Express good, Ground bad, blah blah blah.

I respect very few people in general, mainly because they talk a good game of ethics and morality, and then succumb to the LCD philosophy of profit over everything else. I respect your political beliefs, which don't seem to square with the business that you are in. I also respect your intelligence. You are a bright guy, so why do you compromise your ethics by being part of Fred's Ground scam? I'm sure you could find something else that you could be successful at. Rationalizing that your employees are just at a way station on the way to something better is very weak.

Fourputt

This is an incredibly interesting concept to me. For the sake of amusement, I'll pose a question. Lets assume all drivers could all be lumped into a collective group and ranked on something like the evolutionary scale (the diagram that shows several variations of primates through the evolutionary periods, with a human being the end product). We can assume that UPS drivers are at the far right of the scale, being fully evolved and walking upright. Fedex express can be the same, or maybe one less depending on your opinion, but still superior none-the-less. We can also safely assume that Ground drivers are at the very far left, being the creature with a unibrow that drags its knuckles across the ground and hits things with clubs. Is there another group of drivers out there who rank below ground? That would be a sad group indeed. What about those guys who drive the frito trucks? What about the Sparkletts guy? Guys who deliver outhouses to construction sites? How do they measure up? Is Ground below them? Please insult me if the need arises. I do not strike back and I don't mind. Thanks for the insight.

DS

Fenderbender
You guys are brutal.I'm a ups driver and try to respect everyone.
Fourputt has good points,and deserves some respect no matter
who you answer to.
Myself,I try to work together with all the couriers.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
This is an incredibly interesting concept to me. For the sake of amusement, I'll pose a question. Lets assume all drivers could all be lumped into a collective group and ranked on something like the evolutionary scale (the diagram that shows several variations of primates through the evolutionary periods, with a human being the end product). We can assume that UPS drivers are at the far right of the scale, being fully evolved and walking upright. Fedex express can be the same, or maybe one less depending on your opinion, but still superior none-the-less. We can also safely assume that Ground drivers are at the very far left, being the creature with a unibrow that drags its knuckles across the ground and hits things with clubs. Is there another group of drivers out there who rank below ground? That would be a sad group indeed. What about those guys who drive the frito trucks? What about the Sparkletts guy? Guys who deliver outhouses to construction sites? How do they measure up? Is Ground below them? Please insult me if the need arises. I do not strike back and I don't mind. Thanks for the insight.

UPS and FedEx Express drivers are fully evolved. To put it in anthropological terms, Ground drivers would be the Missing Link.

Last edited:

bbsam

Staff member
UPS and FedEx Express drivers are fully evolved. To put it in anthropological terms, Ground drivers would be the Missing Link.
Yes. Fully evolved. UPS drivers into the increasingly stressed and possibly overpaid (for the market, not for the work) machines, and Fedex drivers into the whiny little cry-babies waiting for someone (Teamsters), anybody (UPS) to come change their soiled diapers.

As a member of Ground, you have the opportunity to evolve into something better.:happy-very: