Why UPS is helping Palo Alto same-day delivery startup Deliv raise $28M

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Why UPS is helping Palo Alto same-day delivery startup Deliv raise $28M - Business Journals

United Parcel Service Inc. led a $28 million funding round for same-day delivery startup Deliv Inc.

Competition in "last-mile delivery" is fierce, with startups like Deliv competing against industry giants including UPS and Amazon. EBay tried a one-hour delivery service that it killed last year after it failed to gain traction.

Deliv tries to keep its costs down by bundling orders and delivering them at set times. It also works with mall operators to incorporate its software into tenants’ online checkout systems. It reportedly has delivery deals with about 4,000 retailers, including Kohl's and Macy's, as well as with Alphabet's Google Express service.

worldwide

Looks like another Surepost-like solution for big Consignees.
I wonder if their employees will be Union?

Looks nothing like Surepost. This is a same-day delivery service. You order something from Macys, Target, Kohls, local retailer, etc., and someone brings it to your house/business within a couple of hours.

Why would their employees be union?

From the Deliv website:
"If you’ve got a vehicle, a smart phone, and a friendly, professional work ethic— we’ve got an opportunity for you. From day to day, you decide if and when you’ll be available for deliveries. When a call for delivery comes in, you pick up, you deliver, and you earn."
https://www.deliv.co/drivers/

Sounds like an opportunity for anyone with a flexible schedule that wants to earn some cash on an as-needed basis.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Looks nothing like Surepost. This is a same-day delivery service. You order something from Macys, Target, Kohls, local retailer, etc., and someone brings it to your house/business within a couple of hours.

Why would their employees be union?

From the Deliv website:
"If you’ve got a vehicle, a smart phone, and a friendly, professional work ethic— we’ve got an opportunity for you. From day to day, you decide if and when you’ll be available for deliveries. When a call for delivery comes in, you pick up, you deliver, and you earn."
https://www.deliv.co/drivers/

Sounds like an opportunity for anyone with a flexible schedule that wants to earn some cash on an as-needed basis.
Not what @Monkey Butt meant.

Faceplanted

Ups will have their name on this, without actually having their name on it. they will use contractors, and it will take business from our hubs and drivers. Make my words

A lot of business who ship from local locations through ups and get the package through their customer the next day, they will now have this option for same day delivery. No work for us, work for uber like contract driver. This is huge for macys, foot locker ect ect ect

HardknocksUPSer

Non of these "couple hour" delivery company's will work. In the case they do, there will be tons of obstacles. It's just not feasible in my opinion. It's more talk than anything. Maybe UPS made headlines to up stock?

Faceplanted

Non of these "couple hour" delivery company's will work. In the case they do, there will be tons of obstacles. It's just not feasible in my opinion. It's more talk than anything. Maybe UPS made headlines to up stock?
Its not feasible when you have union drivers making 35hr plus benefits, It is when your paying a contractor pennies and no benefits

People will be more then happy to make 5 bucks a delivery and do 3 or 4 an hour.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
All these "hire anyone with a minivan" companies will find out how bad business will be when something bad happens.
I could picture someone stalking a residence for future burglary, sexual assault, etc. or WORSE
I don't care if they're cheaper, they will lose millions in lawsuits, no matter what this person signs in a contract.
Look at the UBER driver a few days ago who murdered people. You think they aren't going to get sued ?? Absolutely

Faceplanted

Uber drivers get background checks ad go through the same security as us. Stuff happens.

This system is perfect for some body like a lady on lunch break on Friday. Her co workers decide they want to go to happy hour after work. She wants new shoes. Goes on Macy's site during lunch. Orders shoes, pays 10 dollar same day fee, and has her shoes before 3pm. This is the futire

HardknocksUPSer

Its not feasible when you have union drivers making 35hr plus benefits, It is when your paying a contractor pennies and no benefits

People will be more then happy to make 5 bucks a delivery and do 3 or 4 an hour.
5$ a delivery, paying for gas, putting tons and tons of miles on your vehicle you have to repair and maintain, yeah who wants to do that? If your into that kind of thing go be a pizza guy. That's not a very sought after job.

Faceplanted

5$ a delivery, paying for gas, putting tons and tons of miles on your vehicle you have to repair and maintain, yeah who wants to do that? If your into that kind of thing go be a pizza guy. That's not a very sought after job.
Ask all the Amazon and über lyft drivers. Tons of people will. People are begging Amazon for "blocks" to deliver for them

HardknocksUPSer

Ask all the Amazon and über lyft drivers. Tons of people will. People are begging Amazon for "blocks" to deliver for them
Okay so what? That just reduces our residential stops (assuming these amazon stores work) but make up for very little profit in some areas. Who's going to deliver the heavy business stops? Load that into your honda civic dude.