Has ORION made your trips shorter?

• No

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • No

Votes: 13 68.4%

• Total voters

PackageCar

Y'all act like you never seen a white package car
"A lot of individual drivers felt the new routing software was making their trips longer, but they were later proven wrong. This is the thing about traffic, it's such a complex system that often the individual cannot get a sense of the overall efficiency of the system, and optimize accordingly. It's also one of the counterintuitive, 'slower-is-faster' effects you often see in traffic."

Why UPS trucks (almost) never turn left - CNN.com

ManInBrown

Never turn left is the funniest thing I've ever heard. Not only do I probably turn left, more then right, Orion actually has added way more left turns then before. Coincidentally that is the question I get the most from people. Do you guys really not turn left? I just chuckle

Box Ox

Never turn left is the funniest thing I've ever heard. Not only do I probably turn left, more then right, Orion actually has added way more left turns then before. Coincidentally that is the question I get the most from people. Do you guys really not turn left? I just chuckle

100% agree. It's such a heinous myth that there's no way God doesn't smoke a kitten every time somebody asks.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Orion save .5 mile. Idle time up 1 hour and overtime up 2 hours. Sounds great.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Used to think this way also when it first came out. I come to realize that there is NO WAY then can get anybody off the street and with minimal training have them do this job. UPS is very patient, but not that patient.

I'm fairly certain I could get someone off the street up to speed on a reduced dispatch within a week.

One of our on cars has told me that the newbies are the ones who normally have the higher trace percentages as, in his words, "they don't know any better".

Over 70

Used to think this way also when it first came out. I come to realize that there is NO WAY then can get anybody off the street and with minimal training have them do this job. UPS is very patient, but not that patient.

I hate when I agree with @UpstateNYUPSer.

This job isn't that hard. The people that fail just can't/don't want to handle the pressure/physical nature of the job.

My UPS journey reminds me of playing a new sport for the first time, it's chaos at first but the more you play and the better you get, it almost turns into slow motion.

ManInBrown

My UPS journey reminds me of playing a new sport for the first time, it's chaos at first but the more you play and the better you get, it almost turns into slow motion.

Excellent comparison. When I first got the job it was controlled chaos. I wasn't really overwhelmed, it was just a lot to take in.

At this point, I really think I could run my route in my sleep.

Last edited:

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
"A lot of individual drivers felt the new routing software was making their trips longer, but they were later proven wrong. This is the thing about traffic, it's such a complex system that often the individual cannot get a sense of the overall efficiency of the system, and optimize accordingly. It's also one of the counterintuitive, 'slower-is-faster' effects you often see in traffic."

Why UPS trucks (almost) never turn left - CNN.com
Orion sucks the big one!

jaker

trolling
I don't have a problem making lefts , my issue is delivering out the left just to go farther up the street and come back down the side I just delivered

Dr.Brownz

^except UPS barely provides training to the dispatchers. Not only that but dispatchers have drivers they like and drivers they dislike. So guess which one gets more effort put into fixing their route?

They gave us Orion recently and it becomes more screwed every day as they attempt to fix it. They have been giving us lighter loads recently though, the first week they tried normal dispatch plus 20-30 stops thinking ORION was going to work perfectly. Barely even worked 7 hours today, truck was half empty though.