Why was I hired?

BeachBoy

So, I got a call from HR on Sunday, went in for orientation on Monday and was told they would call me on Tuesday about a uniform and getting started. Now, I know as a drivers helper that it's not going to be full time.
Tuesday I get a call from another company about seasonal work and decline. A commitments a commitment. No call from UPS.
Wednesday while working outside, I see a package car go past, with one of the guys from my orientation class in it.
Today after waiting for a phone call until after 1, I email HR asking if I'm actually going to be working and if so, when. No reply.
Do they hire extra temp workers on a just in case basis? I took the job to make money, not as a third string backup. The time I spend waiting for a call could be better utilized looking for another job. Where are these much talked about logistics I hear about if they hire people and not work them?

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Management hasn't figured out its peak yet, it snuck up on them and they are working on getting you a driver that has enough work to justify having you on the truck. When you do get in the truck you'll only be able to work 2.38 hrs because some guy driving a desk determined a formula based on the lunar cycle how many hours is efficient for the driver to use you for. Welcome aboard and keep the other prospects number handy.

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
..... When you do get in the truck you'll only be able to work 2.38 hrs because some guy driving a desk determined a formula based on the lunar cycle how many hours is efficient for the driver to use you for.

Here is one better. Over 290 stops on truck, 430+ packages. Helper hours approved=10.5 Pick up helper at ___ and ___ at 1400.

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
We didn't keep you because we suspected you would coincidentally find a public forum and whine about something that didn't go the way you wanted it to.
Maybe you did not leave a positive impression during the orientation.
Maybe you think you're better than you actually are.
Maybe you didn't answer the phone.
Maybe you didn't pay the bill and the phone was shut off.

Paycheck

Call the HR person who hired you. Let them know you are ready and willing to work. If you are at a larger center there could be 30 to 40 + helpers planned. Believe me a call wont hurt, and may actually help you get to work sooner. Also let them know you are committed and have been offered other work.

PS If you do get to goto work, be on time, work safely and try to be a asset to you driver it goes a long way.

BrownArmy

Call the HR person who hired you. Let them know you are ready and willing to work. If you are at a larger center there could be 30 to 40 + helpers planned. Believe me a call wont hurt, and may actually help you get to work sooner. Also let them know you are committed and have been offered other work.

PS If you do get to goto work, be on time, work safely and try to be a asset to you driver it goes a long way.

This.

If it's anything like my center, the helper coordinator is helpless to deal with all the conflicting variables....

Even though 'Peak' happens every year, it seems UPS wants to reinvent the wheel each and every Peak.

It's only November...normally at this time we bring helpers on to break them in and figure out who works best where.

Unfortunately, we've been caught with our pants down a bit earlier than usual.

Call early and often, if you swing it right you could be paired with a driver and have steady work all through December.

If (and when) you get a call-back and start working:

Always wear your seat-belt when the package car (PC) is in motion. ALWAYS.

When your driver stops the PC and the wheels have stopped moving, unbuckle your seat belt, stand up, and get out of the way.

If you have to cross a street, do it from behind the PC.

Use the handrail getting into/out of the PC.

Bring water and snacks.

Have fun!

wayfair

swollen member
This.

If it's anything like my center, the helper coordinator is helpless to deal with all the conflicting variables....

Even though 'Peak' happens every year, it seems UPS wants to reinvent the wheel each and every Peak.

It's only November...normally at this time we bring helpers on to break them in and figure out who works best where.

Unfortunately, we've been caught with our pants down a bit earlier than usual.

Call early and often, if you swing it right you could be paired with a driver and have steady work all through December.

If (and when) you get a call-back and start working:

Always wear your seat-belt when the package car (PC) is in motion. ALWAYS.

When your driver stops the PC and the wheels have stopped moving, unbuckle your seat belt, stand up, and get out of the way.

If you have to cross a street, do it from behind the PC.

Use the handrail getting into/out of the PC.

Bring water and snacks.

Have fun!

and remember to Pee before you start work!!!

had a helper few years back that was just out of high school, star cross country runner, super hard worker.... had to pee every 45 minutes or so... I told him to quit drinking water til he was done...lol

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
My helper makes 12.10 an hour. I really don't care how fast he is, how often he takes a leak, how long he takes at a stop. I'm not his boss, I'm his co-worker. If the brass wants him to follow the methods, they can come train him. I lose 50 bucks a day in pay and am a lot more aggravated when thinking for 2. I am not a fan of having a helper.

U

uber

and remember to Pee before you start work!!!

had a helper few years back that was just out of high school, star cross country runner, super hard worker.... had to pee every 45 minutes or so... I told him to quit drinking water til he was done...lol

Never taught him about the old gatorade bottle trick? Personally, I need the wide mouth bottle.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My helper makes 12.10 an hour. I really don't care how fast he is, how often he takes a leak, how long he takes at a stop. I'm not his boss, I'm his co-worker. If the brass wants him to follow the methods, they can come train him. I lose 50 bucks a day in pay and am a lot more aggravated when thinking for 2. I am not a fan of having a helper.

My helper makes $9/hr. I care about how fast he is, how often he takes a leak and how long he takes at a stop. For all intents and purposes I am his boss while he is on my pkg car. He will work as directed which includes following the methods.

He is a very conscientious person who wants to do a good job. He is progressing quite well on the DIAD to the point where he can deliver a multiple office medical building by himself. He always crosses behind the pkg car, walks at a brisk pace and uses proper package handling methods. We delivered 630 pkgs to 184 stops and he was off the car in just under 6 hours.