Why were we instructed to sheet missed packages in the Center Board and not our diad?

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Today was a day of firsts..... In our PCM we were told that volume was WAYY higher than anticipated,and that we 'probably would not be able to make service on all packages" ( in 28 years i have NEVER heard that!) we had a 9 am start time and were instructed to be back in the building NO later than 1030. when i got in at 1030, i got an OMS message to sheet missed in the center board,and NOT our assigned diad. nearly every driver in the center brought packaages, i have never seen so many missed pieces!
I worked as directed,and scanned each package with the Center Diad III board. It was set to the center address,and each package was scanned. all of the drivers arriving in after me did the same and when i punched out i confirmed that did not want to complete EDD work.
I have NEVER done this before,what could be the reason?

TheDick

Re: Why were we instructed to sheet missed packages in the Center Board and not our d

Rumor has it amazon forecasted 30% below what we're getting from them this peak.
I think its an excuse to use less resources for us drivers. If IE underestimated peak volume by 10% then Amazon by 30%
well u save alotta money then dontya?

satellitedriver

Re: Why were we instructed to sheet missed packages in the Center Board and not our d

Today was a day of firsts..... In our PCM we were told that volume was WAYY higher than anticipated,and that we 'probably would not be able to make service on all packages" ( in 28 years i have NEVER heard that!) we had a 9 am start time and were instructed to be back in the building NO later than 1030. when i got in at 1030, i got an OMS message to sheet missed in the center board,and NOT our assigned diad. nearly every driver in the center brought packaages, i have never seen so many missed pieces!
I worked as directed,and scanned each package with the Center Diad III board. It was set to the center address,and each package was scanned. all of the drivers arriving in after me did the same and when i punched out i confirmed that did not want to complete EDD work.
I have NEVER done this before,what could be the reason?
After 28yrs, you should know the reason.
Those pkg's will not show up as missed, on the reports to district.
There are many ways to disguise the truth
Top corporate wants to see the results it demands.
I have seen a many a good management person fired for trying to meet those demands.

RockdaleEddie

Optimized

400 stops, get er done, but be sure not to run, 400 stops, use that handrail or it might be your tail...that's logistics

menotyou

bella amicizia

Use the hand rail on your way out of the truck, as you head(working as directed) to the center board to mislead a customer about the logistics of his package. Gotta love UPS!

​Ho! Ho! Ho! Merry Christmas!

Indecisi0n

I used my DIAD for my missed last night.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member

We don't have a "center diad" (that I'm aware of), but this week we have been instructed to sheet all our missed pieces as one stop using the building address. I only brought back about 30 last night, we had guys who brought back over 100. Our start time is 0900 and we have all been instructed to be in and off the clock by 2130. There is a sign up list for Saturday but so far no one has signed it and I think they are worried that we will all be out of hours by then.

menotyou

bella amicizia

The 'center board' is the one the OMS uses in the morning to release packages, and the one the clerks at the counter use at night. The 'center board' can be created using any Diad. It is set up with the building address, and is listed under a non-driver id and code(if I remember correctly).

rushfan

We all know why, and we've seen plenty of managers go to "greener pastures" (as we were told once after one was fired).

Catatonic

Nine Lives

We all know why, and we've seen plenty of managers go to "greener pastures" (as we were told once after one was fired).

No idea why but this seems to be a specific set of instructions from several disparate locations.
Could be for roll-up reporting purposes.
I'm assuming these are all Ground packages which do not have a guarantee this time of year.

How about groomed reports? :wink:

They may want these Missed Pieces to be accounted for in the Planned Stops and Pieces projected for the center.
This may be a way to account for these and not treat them like normal Missed packages.

I'm a "glass half full" type person but I don't know why they are doing this all over the country anymore than anyone else on here.

Last edited:

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman

it doesn't really matter what board you use to sheet them up, they're still ending up on "The Reports"

the idea behind using a single DIAD and the center's address is to get a good idea of how bad of a day the center really had, and also to more quickly make plans for the next day

Edit:
not EVERY instruction you receive has a maligned purpose :wink2:

over9five

Staff member

i
Agreed. Tonight when you have to do this, write one of the tracking numbers down. Track it yourself and see what it says. (And post the result!)

brown bomber

brown bomber

Agreed. Tonight when you have to do this, write one of the tracking numbers down. Track it yourself and see what it says. (And post the result!)
maybe you should let the consignee of said package (addressee), know that this example of deception exists......glad I'm retired, don't have to deal w/ the lies and faulty planning and inept management

brown bomber

brown bomber

maybe one of those pkgs. was really a needed item........a prescription perhaps.....that might require refrigeration....JUST WONDERING

hdkappler

it doesn't really matter what board you use to sheet them up, they're still ending up on "The Reports"

the idea behind using a single DIAD and the center's address is to get a good idea of how bad of a day the center really had, and also to more quickly make plans for the next dayback in the days before
years ago before i even retired(back in the days)sheeted only ten but had more like 30 or more.course then some sups turned there backsdeal with it the next day.

Edit:

728ups

All Trash No Trailer

the idea behind using a single DIAD and the center's address is to get a good idea of how bad of a day the center really had, and also to more quickly make plans for the next day

Edit:

thank you for the explanation,appreciated