Why? Why is it so important to put X amount of stops in helper DIAD?

kingOFchester

There has to be a reason why this issue is pushed so hard. We even get messages to call center if we do not have the minimum amount of stops in the helper Diad. Signs decorate the office and center stating to be sure to have stops in the helper Diad. We have stickers on the helper board stating that we MUST have x amount of stops in Diad. PCM we are told to be SURE to have stops in the helper board. So why? Do you know? If not, what is the best explanation you can come up with....

I know its part of the number games but I can't come up with anything on this game.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
nobody knows.. even our resident kind of honest corporate poster pretzelman wont tell us

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
we had 4 drivers issued warning letters yesterday for 'failure to work as directed' for repeatedly not using the helper board or not having enough stops in the helper board.
I asked my supervisor why the big deal,and he responded that i didn't need to wonder why,just DO IT!

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Try putting 30 stops in the driver board and the rest in the helper board. You will have a 2 hour planned day and they will have alot of explaining to do.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
Try putting 30 stops in the driver board and the rest in the helper board. You will have a 2 hour planned day and they will have alot of explaining to do.

for the past 2 weeks ive used the helper boards exclusively, the non GPS attribute means i can sheet everything well in advance... ive not heard a word

kingOFchester

I was told "there is a reason, but we can't tell you". All the other number games I can some what see why they do it, no matter how absurd the reasoning is....but this one has me stumped!

1) It has to benefit someone and or some report.
2) It probably is something that would not sit well with drivers, other wise it wouldn't be so hush hush.

johnoutdoors

My bet is that the guys who made that decision haven't been on the road in 20 or more years. Some one told them the DIAD was easy to learn and that the helpers were trained on it in orientation. They've never used one so they don't know that its not a 5 minute process to learn, and they don't realize that HR doesn't bother training them. End result an edict based on lunacy and lack of understanding of the real world, the world in which we have a simple job that they make way too complicated for what it really is.

pretzel_man

I was told "there is a reason, but we can't tell you". All the other number games I can some what see why they do it, no matter how absurd the reasoning is....but this one has me stumped!

1) It has to benefit someone and or some report.
2) It probably is something that would not sit well with drivers, other wise it wouldn't be so hush hush.

Its not hush hush. Has nothing to do with not sitting well with drivers. Its just dum.

Seein as you all already think management is stupid, there is no reason for adding to that....

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
We have less than 25 helper boards and plan on using 38 helpers next week. Another policy that's only important when it's convenient.

There has to be a reason why this issue is pushed so hard. We even get messages to call center if we do not have the minimum amount of stops in the helper Diad. Signs decorate the office and center stating to be sure to have stops in the helper Diad. We have stickers on the helper board stating that we MUST have x amount of stops in Diad. PCM we are told to be SURE to have stops in the helper board. So why? Do you know? If not, what is the best explanation you can come up with....

I know its part of the number games but I can't come up with anything on this game.
sober will explain it real soon.

thessalonian13

There has to be a reason why this issue is pushed so hard. We even get messages to call center if we do not have the minimum amount of stops in the helper Diad. Signs decorate the office and center stating to be sure to have stops in the helper Diad. We have stickers on the helper board stating that we MUST have x amount of stops in Diad. PCM we are told to be SURE to have stops in the helper board. So why? Do you know? If not, what is the best explanation you can come up with.... Because they are clueless and have no idea of what they are doing.

Because they are clueless and have no idea of what they are doing?

It's just one more silly rule for us to follow and for them to nit-pick. Just put the minimum number of stops in the board and toss it in the back of the truck. Don't risk punishment over something this meaningless.

Big Babooba

My guess is that they have all these old DIAD 3s sitting around so why not put them to their intended use when not being used as door stops, paper weights, chock blocks, etc. By entering a few dozen stops in them, the company has a reason to keep them.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I asked my supervisor why the big deal,and he responded that i didn't need to wonder why,just DO IT!

It sounds like your supervisor doesn't know either. I usually put 130-150 stops in my Helper's board everyday, the battery drains down. I don't see any reason for using them, we still use a paper time card to pay Helpers.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
For the same reason as a driver, I can not have more helper time on road than driver time.

The reason is really simple. If you are issued a helper board, that is the board the helper is to use for his delivery. If there are no stops in the board, then it appears that he did nothing but ride along.

But as a reality, there are very few helpers that can effectively use a diad. It actually costs most driver extra time to attempt to train a helper to use the diad. So most dont.

As pretzel posted, the reasons are self serving to the pencil pushers, and M&M counters. Nothing super secret.

d

BrownArmy

BIGGEST WASTE OF TIME, EVAH!

(processing...processing...processing...).

Most in my management team say it's ridiculous, but they're adamant about the fact that it has to happen.

I roll the 30 stops required for the helper board before I even pick up my helper...and then the BRICK sits in the back of the truck until punch-out.

Really awesome use of my time.

Cheers.