Why? Why is it so important to put X amount of stops in helper DIAD?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The speculation I heard was that in preparation for the potential strike in 2013 the company wants a certain percentage of potential replacements to be familiar with the DIAD. I am a little worried about this, I'm 54, my helper is 22 and I admit he can work circles around me.:happy2:

Couple this with the introduction of PAS/EDD and we can start to get the big picture.

pretzel_man

With all due respect, P-man...your answer is a cop-out.

You guys give us lengthy PCM's about the way you want us to work with these helpers. You guys give us PCMs about every new service offering, every new company policy, and every new procedure we are supposed to follow. There is a reason for everything, and there is usually a new acronym or a buzz word to go along with it.

If you want us to buy in to what you are preaching, you owe it to us to be honest about why you want us to do these things. "Because we said so" is a load of crap....if you are going to make an already difficult job even harder by giving us additional hoops to jump through, then the least you can do is give us some sort of a rational explanation for what you are asking of us.

And if it is as stupid and pointless as you say it is, then where is the harm in being honest about it? Perhaps if enough people were aware of why this idiotic rule is in place, then the person or persons who came up with it would be forced to confront the stupidity of it. Mindlessly following pointless edicts without questioning why only works if you are a lemming who doesnt mind going off the edge of a cliff.

Okay. I agree it's a cop out.

I probably would have been smarter to just not respond.

Most of my responses on "numbers games" try and explain why the metric is there. Why there is a business need for the metric. Even when some locations don't use the metric properly I defend the need for the measurement.

You and I have been around and around on things like that many times. In the other cases, I will continue to hold my ground.

In this case, It's just a bad reason.

As I said, I probably should have been quiet. Maybe I should not even post this response.....

I was hoping I guess to stop any conspiracy theories. Hoping to stop the thoughts of ulterior motives.

Oh well....

menotyou

bella amicizia
P-man, I appreciate the fact you didn't try and schmooze is with some corporate drivel. You admitted it was stupid. For that alone, I thank you. :)

Number 2

for the past 2 weeks ive used the helper boards exclusively, the non GPS attribute means i can sheet everything well in advance... ive not heard a word

I've done the same thing. Trained the helper to use old DIAD. 100 stops helper board, 30 mine. Not a word from the man.

DS

Fenderbender
My guess is that they have all these old DIAD 3s sitting around so why not put them to their intended use when not being used as door stops, paper weights, chock blocks, etc. By entering a few dozen stops in them, the company has a reason to keep them.
#1 answer....they retain data...they still work

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
i was told that the stops put into helper boards go off to District and factor into helper and peak-diad allotments for the next year

island1fox

The stock holder because it brings the drivers paid day down.

:happy2:407,

Believe me as a "stockholder" Paid day, Spor, Spc, Over allowed, Scratch, Missed, Send again,etc,etc,etc --mean nothing to me .

What the dividend will be or more importantly why the stock has remained basically the same level for over ten years is what I care about. Give me the score --I am no longer part of the "Game"

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
i was told that the stops put into helper boards go off to District and factor into helper and peak-diad allotments for the next year
HA!! I hope not,, i now use my helper diad only,, 278 stops in it, zero in mine...we are all doomed!!!!!!!!!!!

S

splozi

You're 8 stops short of the required 31. Expect a talk with your sup in the morning!

I'm driver helping this season. The first driver I helped had a helper diad, but it was a regular one... not the bulky pos type. He told me he was required to put 30 stops on it. The driver I'm helping now has the bulky one, and he said he's required to do 10. Same center... two different drivers... two different numbers. It hurts to think about the reasoning behind any of it.