Why work so long?

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
I had to laugh after reading some of the younger guys bitchin about guys who won't retire "when they are supposed to" so that spots will open up. Not saying they are right but I often wonder why people don't retire if they have the time in. Reminded me of the story UPS did about that package driver who put in 50 years.

There is no way in hell I would do that much time. I know everyone has their own personal reasons for continuing to work like not being financially secure, fear of doing nothing, having a place to go to escape from issues or spouses / kids, loneliness, etc; the list could go on and on but those were just some examples. I work to provide for my family and have money to enjoy the things I want to do or buy that's all.

No matter what luxuries or things I enjoy now, I have also made a decision NOT to put work before any of that and I also decided long ago that I am not going to work so long that I will be too old or broken down to enjoy the last part of my life, the part where I should be able to not have to get up at a certain time or be held to constraints or schedules (other than the ones I make for myself).

Not saying a certain age is the appropriate age to retire but there are alot of people who die before 60 and there are alot who continue to have a great time long after 60. There are also alot of people who pass shortly after retirement and then there are those who don't. Anyways, I figure for me 60 is the age I will be done with any work no matter what. I have savings and 401k and try to plan for the future and hope that I made good decisions financially.

So I ask, why would anyone want to work for so much of their precious and short life. I'm working to live, not living to work. Anyone else feel that way?

upschuck

I also plan on retiring at the age of 60, but that is over 10 years away, so life circumstances may change, and I may decide to change that decision. I am in no way going 40+ years.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I sent an inquiry e-mail to our pension fund and was pleasantly surprised to learn that I can retire 9 months earlier than I thought. I worked just over 1,000 hours my first year as a casual which was just enough for a full year of pension credit.

scooby0048

I also plan on retiring at the age of 60, but that is over 10 years away, so life circumstances may change, and I may decide to change that decision. I am in no way going 40+ years.

I hope to retire any time between 55 and 59 1/2. The sooner the better.

We have guys that are pushing 70 with plenty of time in. Everyday they come in ready to work and never bitchin about the day. I admire them but part of me wants to tell them to stop, they've done enough work for a two lifetimes. Now is the time to enjoy whatever it is they enjoy. Be it family, hobbies, sleeping, whatever just take the time and enjoy it. Not being a naysayer but 70 (statistically) is pretty close to end of life especially in a highly stressful and vigorous job like this.

scooby0048

I sent an inquiry e-mail to our pension fund and was pleasantly surprised to learn that I can retire 9 months earlier than I thought. I worked just over 1,000 hours my first year as a casual which was just enough for a full year of pension credit.
That is a nice surprise, too bad all of our OT does not count. I'd be willing to bet there would be alot of folks working 60hrs and skipping vacations to get done that much sooner.

scooby0048

What reasons, if any, do they give for not leaving?
One guy told me he just likes the job. He does have the best route in the building with only 25-30 stops all country driving, but his wife who is also around his age, still works in receiving at a parts supplyhouse. He has hobbies so I really don't know why he stays.

Another guy works because he didn't make good financial decisions and says that he can't afford to retire. Whatever that means...

Packmule

Some, like me started very early in life and just trying to get to age 57 puts me at 37 years. Yes, I have some money saved, but sticking around till 2017 now makes the pension so much better. If they want me to go, start honoring my years already served and stop dangling carrots because of my age or the 2017 date. How many guys with 25 years will get that raise just due to timing?

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
If the ex thinks checks will start rolling in when the other retires, and counts on 30 as the start date, you can see how years of extended service is pure joy.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I reach PEER 80 once I have 500 compensible hours in 2017, which is also the year I turn 50. I'd like to leave then but my wife has health issues so we will need to see what the insurance situation looks like. Just crossing that finish line will be a huge relief, after that it will be my choice how many victory laps I feel like running.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I retired at age 58 and probably would have retired at age 55 except UPS redlined my group for the buyout offer in 2010, so I worked 3 more years to spite them.
In hindsight, I would worked 1 year to spite them and retired at 56.