Widow's Pension

Karrolle

My husband passed away in early 2014. I received a letter in 2014 stating that I would be eligible to receive part of his pension upon what would have been his sixty fifth birthday. He was a vested part time employee with over nine years of service.
I was a witness to my husband's fall and suffered from ptsd for the majority of 2014. Because of my state of mind I failed to ask important questions that I would now like to ask. I would like to know if there are benefits for our children.
Also, what are my options for his pension, if any? Can the pension be cashed out? What amount will his pension pay? Should I ever remarry, would I or our children no longer have right to my husband's pension?
How could I receive a copy of his coverage and pension plan and any rules regarding pension?
Thank you greatly for your time and attention

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Sorry for your loss and the agony of witnessing his demise. If you post the general state you live in someone might be able to help get you in touch with the local union hall who could provide you with more help than you'd receive here. Again, my sympathy for your loss.

jasminepod

Karrolle, I don't know the ages of your children, but you should start by calling Social Security. If your husband worked 40 quarters (10 years at any job) you may be eligible for some income. Sorry for your loss, hope you get the help you need.

Karrolle

I added up his years at UPS today and it totaled ten years and seven months. His ten year anniversary at UPS was the day after we were married. That was kind of odd to see.

Karrolle

Sorry for your loss and the agony of witnessing his demise. If you post the general state you live in someone might be able to help get you in touch with the local union hall who could provide you with more help than you'd receive here. Again, my sympathy for your loss.
I contacted the local office (retirementdeptups.com ) and received a message back that it would be around 30 days before I should receive a response. I just thought someone one here might have ideas as to what to expect. Matt was a member of the teamsters; is that a different pension than UPS? Unfortunately, I don't have a very clear view as to how this all works.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I contacted the local office (retirementdeptups.com ) and received a message back that it would be around 30 days before I should receive a response. I just thought someone one here might have ideas as to what to expect. Matt was a member of the teamsters; is that a different pension than UPS? Unfortunately, I don't have a very clear view as to how this all works.
I'd be amazed if you're looking at more than $500 a month.

barnyard

KTM rider
I am sorry for your loss.

Amongst his effects, there should be a Teamsters Health and Welfare card. There will be a phone number on that. Call that number, that is where you should start.

In the Central region, I believe that the pension is handled by UPS. I am not sure whom you would call for that, but someone from the center where your husband worked would know (probably the center manager or someone in HR.)

Last edited:

oldandcrabby

I am so sorry for your loss. If you did not get any answers from here yet Please pm and we can talk I will see what I can do to point you in the right direction with numbers and anything else I can help with.