Will Brown Cafe Join the SOPA Strike?

moreluck

golden ticket member
When you get back online your withdrawal will be so bad you'll want to bang upstate. Nancy will want to hit it also but he will be after bubbleheads tail. The next day you will feel much remorse like you drank to much and blacked out. You will kinda feel like Katy Perry and she's so hot I would cut off my pinky toe for a chance at her butt( if mrs. 407 wasent around anymore ) so you are a hot old girl so its ok cause I bet this kinda thing hasen't happened to you since JFK was president. You'll survive and WE(the brown cafe cummunity) will take you back NO questions asked. Luv ya

Very cute! But aren't you glad that Katy dropped Russell's butt??? Can't stand him.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Cheryl , I know some of the arguments against SOPA from an outsider's perspective.

From your prospective, what are the things about SOPA that impact you as a web site operator?

Community sites like this exist because the current legal infrastructure (DMCA) allows us to host user-contributed material. Under provisions granted by SOPA/PIPA, if a copyright holder believes that any piece of our website violates their copyright, they could use unprecedented measures to deny everyone access to our website and services without due process.

From Tom's Hardware:
In a nutshell, here’s what the law would do:
  • Assign liability to site owners for everything users post, without consideration for whether or not the user posted without permission. Site owners could face jail time or heavy fines, and DNS blacklisting.
  • It would require web services like YouTube, Facebook, and Twitter to monitor and aggressively filter everything all users upload.
  • It would deny site owners due process of law, by initiating a DNS blacklisting based solely on a good faith assertion by an individual copyright or intellectual property owner.
  • It would give the U.S. government the power to selectively censor the web using techniques similar to those used in China, Malaysia and Iran. The Great Firewall of China is an example of this type of embedded, infrastructural internet censorship.

From Wikipedia:
Websites that host user content
Opponents have warned that SOPA would have a negative impact on online communities. Journalist Rebecca MacKinnon argued in an op-ed that making companies liable for users' actions could have a chilling effect on user-generated sites such as YouTube. "The intention is not the same as China’s Great Firewall, a nationwide system of Web censorship, but the practical effect could be similar," she says. The Electronic Freedom Foundation (EFF) warned that websites Etsy, Flickr andVimeo all seemed likely to shut down if the bill becomes law. Policy analysts for New America Foundation say this legislation would enable law enforcement to take down an entire domain due to something posted on a single blog, arguing, "an entire largely innocent online community could be punished for the actions of a tiny minority."

Growing Chorus of Opposition to "Stop Online Piracy Act" | Center for Democracy & Technology

EFF for a more thorough explanation.

klein

Für Meno :)
There ya go : "The Land of the Free" !
Why are they doing this ?

No other western country cares.
Why the US wants to steep to China, Iran, Syria, North Korea levels, I don't know !

I guess if it boils down to censorship, US citizens will get less than half the access of websites, as they do today.
I know it's not really censorship, because it's mostly piracy protection - but it's basically the same.
Even sites like e-bay could be shut down, if for example someone uses a pic off the internet to sell an item, instead of taking their own pic.
(mind you - e-bay is Toronto based - but it would be shut down in the US, and effect all of e-bay users - a much smaller market without the US).

"From Tom's Hardware:

• Assign liability to site owners for everything users post, without consideration for whether or not the user posted without permission. Site owners could face jail time or heavy fines, and DNS blacklisting."

Just for what Klein posts Cheryl will get the death penalty.

moreluck

golden ticket member
"From Tom's Hardware:

• Assign liability to site owners for everything users post, without consideration for whether or not the user posted without permission. Site owners could face jail time or heavy fines, and DNS blacklisting."
Just for what Klein posts Cheryl will get the death penalty.
Cheryl's in CA. No death penalty here, but she'd be with Charles Manson.

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
This is serious stuff.

I am not surprised that more people don't know about this...
I feel the "shock" of it all will make a difference. I am concerned that a society built on speed and instant gratification will gloss over the reasons for the black-out and forget the message.

klein

Für Meno :)
I tried the "Take action now" link.
Thought it would accept Canadians, because it did say enter zip/postal code (US or Canada).

But didn't work (came back : " we can not find this zipcode" :(

moreluck

golden ticket member
its another example of the 1 percent doing whatever they want to us stupid sheep[/QUOT
Yeah, those bazillionaires are awful!!!

All you have to do is earn $387,000 a year in America and you are in the top 1%. If you earn $50,000 a year or more, in a year, you're in the upper 10% of earners in this country. The top 1%, bottom of that is $387,000."

This was from a caller's question to a radio show. So, it's not gazillionaires. Worldwide, you are probably in the 1% if you are a driver.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
From what I read on here all the drivers work 12 plus hours a day and don't get home until 9 so they wouldn't even notice if BC was offline.