Will Brown Cafe Join the SOPA Strike?

klein

Für Meno :)
Ok, I got a question for you US internet users.
On yahoo and fb, are you getting a message that they'll be shut down tomorrow ?

I get most of my e-mail thru yahoo, and I'm a fb user. But, I don't see any warning for tomorrow on their sites . Do you ?

klein

Wiki is down now for 24 hrs. This is what it shows :

Imagine a World
Without Free Knowledge
For over a decade, we have spent millions of hours building the largest encyclopedia in human history. Right now, the U.S. Congress is considering legislation that could fatally damage the free and open internet. For 24 hours, to raise awareness, we are blacking out Wikipedia. Learn more

However, I still get it in German (http://wikipedia.de/) Good to know 2 languages if it ever comes down to US censorship ! :)

Last edited:

upsgrunt

Even sites like e-bay could be shut down, if for example someone uses a pic off the internet to sell an item, instead of taking their own pic.
(mind you - e-bay is Toronto based - but it would be shut down in the US, and effect all of e-bay users - a much smaller market without the US).

Please tell us more about Ebay being based in Toronto.
CA stands for California, not Canada.

klein

Please tell us more about Ebay being based in Toronto.
CA stands for California, not Canada.

Oh gee, I did screw up. I get these international sites mixed upped. I'm deeply sorry.
Probably mixed up with Lavalife, Plentyoffish, or maybe even some other auction site. Sorry :(

klein

Google.com now down, however google.ca is working thankfully. (but for US users it will automatically redirect you to the down google.com site).

klein

Who's the job-killer now ? (Obama opposes the bill) !

After the White House voiced its opposition to the bills, media baron Rupert Murdoch, the CEO of Fox News, tweeted, "So, Obama has thrown in his lot with Silicon Valley paymasters who threaten all software creators with piracy, plain thievery."

Corynne McSherry, intellectual property director for the internet rights group Electronic Frontier Foundation
does see a potential benefit for Canada if SOPA becomes law: cutting-edge technology entrepreneurs will just offer their services outside the U.S.
"You may see a lot of new jobs in Canada," she said.
For McSherry, copyright is "an issue you cannot legislate your way out of." And with SOPA, she says, "the cost so far outweighs any conceivable benefit."
There is a simple solution, she said: "Give people access to authorized, legitimate alternatives, and they will go there."

(browncafe.ca in the near future) ???? :)

I'm ok my iPhone has been acting up and the battery life wasent what it used to be so I went to the apple store and and they gave me a new one( it was under warranty ) so I'm happy. I also went shopping and took my son to get a haircut. Productive day but I missed checking in on you fine people. You ok over?

satellitedriver

Oh gee, I did screw up. I get these international sites mixed upped. I'm deeply sorry.
Probably mixed up with Lavalife, Plentyoffish, or maybe even some other auction site. Sorry :(
I really have to ask this question.
Country aside.
How did you not know the difference?
Ebay auctions stuff, not people.
To the best of my knowledge, Lavalife and Plentyoffish are lonely heart club dating sites.
Again, I must ask how you could confuse the two to an auction site?
I am all for finding love, but one should know which country he is in while searching.

over9five

Staff member
I'm ok my iPhone has been acting up and the battery life wasent what it used to be so I went to the apple store and and they gave me a new one( it was under warranty ) so I'm happy. I also went shopping and took my son to get a haircut. Productive day but I missed checking in on you fine people. You ok over?
yup. I'm good. Paid bills today. Not as fun as BC...

while many sites talked a good game few went down like this site. The interest of thier finances far outwieghed principles they claimed to be fighting for. The legislation of SOPA while perhaps overdone is designed to protect the copyrights of honest business people who see a loss of business due to copyright infringements on the internet. A lot of hysteria is off course being parlayed to drive your support to allow pirates to continue thier theft. Eventually something has to be done to protect the rights of those business people and the hysteria of sites like this one being shut down removed from the discussion replaced by rational dialogue.

satellitedriver

However, I still get it in German (wikipedia.de - Wikipedia, die freie Enzyklopdie) Good to know 2 languages if it ever comes down to US censorship ! :)
That is why an American based company called Google can translate any page from most known languages into English.
Your beloved Germany led the charge in internet censorship.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_censorship_in_Germany
Censorship can be good, but the US is not the elephant in this circus.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_censorship_in_the_United_States

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
while many sites talked a good game few went down like this site. The interest of thier finances far outwieghed principles they claimed to be fighting for. The legislation of SOPA while perhaps overdone is designed to protect the copyrights of honest business people who see a loss of business due to copyright infringements on the internet. A lot of hysteria is off course being parlayed to drive your support to allow pirates to continue thier theft. Eventually something has to be done to protect the rights of those business people and the hysteria of sites like this one being shut down removed from the discussion replaced by rational dialogue.
I support the stated goals of providing additional tools to combat rogue sites that promote online copyright piracy.

Unfortunately, these bills as written would undermine the DMCA safe harbor act for law abiding sites that host user contributed content and act upon good faith to remove infringing content from their sites.

If this legislation passes many small privately operated sites, like browncafe, will be forced offline. Only corporate sites or sites backed by an entity with deep pockets and a legal staff will remain online, at least on the US version of the internet.

Klein and I took the time away from BC to kiss and make up. :)

images

maybe it was more like:
images

( he was the catcher)