Will Brown Cafe Join the SOPA Strike?

over9five

Staff member
Klein and I took the time away from BC to kiss and make up. :)

images

maybe it was more like:
images

( he was the catcher)

Ultimate TMI.....

The site would not have to shut down it would have to make some changes. You currently provide some censorship through enforcement of TOS . You would probably have to screen upload of content to ensure it does not violate any copyright laws.
Curent law does not protect you from litigation. Your site and its lucrative advertising revenue could become a target for any disgruntled user of this site.

brett636

The site would not have to shut down it would have to make some changes. You currently provide some censorship through enforcement of TOS . You would probably have to screen upload of content to ensure it does not violate any copyright laws.
Curent law does not protect you from litigation. Your site and its lucrative advertising revenue could become a target for any disgruntled user of this site.

I shouldn't feed this obvious troll, but here goes. Under SOPA, this site could be shut down on a "good faith complaint" by any copy right holder. No court case, no investigation, no 4th amendment rights, just this site getting black listed because some copy right holder claimed ownership of a link posted by a user on this site. Considering copy right holders have tried to get embarrassing videos posted on youtube removed that they did not have a copyright ownership of, and a recording industry that has a history of going after home made baby videos because of a song playing in the background I think that is too much power in the hands of a small group of people over what can be seen and posted on the internet. Not to mention I believe Cheryl and all the mods on this site have better things to do than to screen every post that every user makes. This site may not have tens of thousands of people signing on, but that is a lot of work on their part to help the recording industry sell a few more songs and hollywood to sell a few more dvds.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Our friend, sopaisgood, doesn't seem to be very well informed about these issues. This video explains it very clearly.

[video=youtube;tzqMoOk9NWc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzqMoOk9NWc[/video]

brown_trousers

while many sites talked a good game few went down like this site. The interest of thier finances far outwieghed principles they claimed to be fighting for. The legislation of SOPA while perhaps overdone is designed to protect the copyrights of honest business people who see a loss of business due to copyright infringements on the internet. A lot of hysteria is off course being parlayed to drive your support to allow pirates to continue thier theft. Eventually something has to be done to protect the rights of those business people and the hysteria of sites like this one being shut down removed from the discussion replaced by rational dialogue.

The opposition is NOT that copyrights shouldn't be protected. It's that this law is massively over-reaching. There's no doubt in my mind that this law would decrease piracy and other intellectual property crimes. But it would do so by denying many Americans their due process of law.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
Khan Academy is the bomb,, great for math tutoring as well, anywho I think all search engines should have shut down for a instant effect, i dont think the majority or america understands the implications of this

Last edited:

klein

Für Meno :)
Khan Academy is the bomb,, great for math tutoring as well, anywho I think all search engines should have shut down for a instant effect
Only in the US though.

I don't think other countries should suffer because on your politicians.
Like one Canadian said it best yesterday.\
Goggle, yahoo, and all the other dot com companies are more than welcome to move north, if it comes worse to worse.

klein

Belive me or not, websites just as lavalife.com, plentyoffish.com, blackberry.com, air canada.com, etc are Canadian companies, but because they adopted the "dot com" their websites fall under US jurisdiction, more or less. (mind you, it's easy enough to switch to "dot.ca" but still a hassle).

Dot.com has basically became the "Main website" for any international world known company.
I think these large companies have gotten a fair warning, that "dot.com" can no longer be taken for granted.
Who would ever have thought that the USA would ever infringe on freedom of the internet ?

klein

I happened to watch one of those videos Cheryl posted.
as said on the video:
As an American, please write, email or call your senator or congress member.

If you're not an American, then please tell those you know that are Americans to take action.

You can call it anti-American as much as you want it.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
I happened to watch one of those videos Cheryl posted.
as said on the video:
As an American, please write, email or call your senator or congress member.

If you're not an American, then please tell those you know that are Americans to take action.

You can call it anti-American as much as you want it.

its got nothing to do with being anti american......nevermind