Will Supervisors be needed in the future?

Jim Kemp

With all the high tech surveillance on us. And all the computerized dispatching, will the centers need supervisors in the future? It seems like one guy at some remote location could do it all. If I was a low level sup. I would be very nervous.
I know they would need someone with some authority there to make some decisions but will they need as many as they have now? I have always thought UPS was top heavy.

The center of the future will be 4 centers combined as one. A division manager will be in charge of 6 to 8 of these and the computer will take over for pas supervisors. Part time sups will run the preload and onroad sups will be dispatched to these centers from all over the district to do yearly and three day rides. The Oms will be guys named Vejay Sonjay in India and they will talk to the customers.

bumped

There will always be supervisors, but they'll be less of them. We were at 4 oncars, and now were down to 3. (8 months and counting)

tourists24

We havent needed on cars for at least a year now. The only thing these guys do is give PCM's, on areas, and 3 day rides. That is when they are not doing paperwork

menotyou

bella amicizia
I agree with 407. center manager's are a dying breed. Monitors will replace on-cars for PCM's. India will answer all calls and send out all messages. Two pt'ers per building is all that is needed, if that. Dispatch will be done somewhere else, Syracuse for me. I see a re-organization coming.....

Catatonic

Nine Lives
its enjoyable reading threads like this since this site has made such a concerted effort to drive off management posters here.

what a rewarding site this is now...:)
Amusing thread, that's for sure.

Good evidence why UPS invested all that money in technology to replace intelligence in workers.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Supervisors are already being eliminated from this site. its funny watching a thread about management without any management poster responses as they are all in the Queue waiting for someones approval. It seems the site administrators here are scared to death of outspoken management posters. What are we afraid of here? What do we have to hide.

The solution to open honest dialogue here is biased awarding of infractions and heavy moderation. Can we at least change the name of this site to Teamsters II?
I don't think this thread is about management ... Or at least the replies.
I think the reason no management is replying to these posts is because they are childish and ignorant.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Supervisors are already being eliminated from this site. its funny watching a thread about management without any management poster responses as they are all in the Queue waiting for someones approval. It seems the site administrators here are scared to death of outspoken management posters. What are we afraid of here? What do we have to hide.

The solution to open honest dialogue here is biased awarding of infractions and heavy moderation. Can we at least change the name of this site to Teamsters II?

I think the rock you left is lonely.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
its enjoyable reading threads like this since this site has made such a concerted effort to drive off management posters here.

what a rewarding site this is now...:)
hold on there a minute Mr blanket logic,, i think the op had a legit question,, on the operations level with telematics,, what purpose would a on road sup provide??

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
When I started at UPS, there was one part time sup.......well, actually he was the clerk, but he was the one you went to for answers to questions. We had 55 drivers, and 2 delivery sups.

Today, the same center, after splitting off two other centers, has 100 drivers, two center managers, 5 or 6 on road sups, a feeder manager, 12 OMS's, and at least 9 part time preload, and one full time preload sup. There are many other non hourly employees at the center, but not sure of their official title.

And we wonder why we have to work harder to show the same profit?

As for the original question, there will always be a need for management at UPS. Maybe not as many, but still a large number. Dealing with employee issues is one reason. But there will be less in active (physically active) in areas where they are now. Most will be dealing with employees from behind the computer screen.

One last thought. Without all these sups that are going away, who will do the work on the belts we have been filing on?

Just a thought.

d