Will Supervisors be needed in the future?

pretzel_man

There lies the problem... centers DO NOT do it correctly. Please let us know all of these centers that are doing it correctly (you said lots). I would love to have my management to get in touch with them for advice. I would also like to hear from some of these drivers affected to tell us all how well it works when routes are cut.

Easiest thing to do is....

Have them look at the PDS rankings....

11 items are ranked which are indicative of a good dispatch.

There are about 800 or so. Easy to find good ones.

Of course, also easy to find bad ones.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
This is not new with the new technology. Controlled dispatch principles have existed for 30 years. When done right, it still works today.

Too often it is not done right, I agree with that. The solution is NOT to give it up. Its to do it right.

I do agree that in the mean time, the driver feels the brunt of the issue.

With all due respect, I have been waiting 23 years for it to be done right. I'm still waiting.

And it is the customer who feels the brunt of the issue. It is the customer who can no longer count on a consistent delivery or pickup time. Its the customer whose packages are being brought back to the center at 9:30 or 10:00 at night instead of getting delivered.

The bottom line is this; we are knowingly and intentionally putting impossible dispatches out on the road for no other reason than to generate a metric. If the job setup or the loop detail or anything else needs to be "fixed" in order to make that number realistic, then give those responsible the resources they need to actually fix those problems. But unless and until they are fixed....we need to base the dispatch upon the reality that is rather than the reality that IE wants.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
With all due respect, I have been waiting 23 years for it to be done right. I'm still waiting.

And it is the customer who feels the brunt of the issue. It is the customer who can no longer count on a consistent delivery or pickup time. Its the customer whose packages are being brought back to the center at 9:30 or 10:00 at night instead of getting delivered.

The bottom line is this; we are knowingly and intentionally putting impossible dispatches out on the road for no other reason than to generate a metric. If the job setup or the loop detail or anything else needs to be "fixed" in order to make that number realistic, then give those responsible the resources they need to actually fix those problems. But unless and until they are fixed....we need to base the dispatch upon the reality that is rather than the reality that IE wants.

A classic Catch-22.
The center management team could fix the problem if they had a perfect dispatch in place.
The dispatch is so bad, they don't have the time to fix it and make it right.

pretzel_man

A classic Catch-22.
The center management team could fix the problem if they had a perfect dispatch in place.
The dispatch is so bad, they don't have the time to fix it and make it right.

23 years.... That's across five CEO's and the much of it as a private company. Not sure how UPS survived if we cound not get it right in 23 years..... Maybe it really is just your center.... You center is only one of 1,300.

How do you eat an elephant?? One bite at a time..... Giving up fixes nothing.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
23 years.... That's across five CEO's and the much of it as a private company. Not sure how UPS survived if we cound not get it right in 23 years..... Maybe it really is just your center.... You center is only one of 1,300.

Like they told me when I went to Alaska and discussion turned to bears and what to do if we encountered one.. You don't have to be faster than the bear ... just faster than the slowest fisherman.

UPS is the best ... just not perfect and so far the bear has not caught us.

tourists24

Pretzel,,, ask most drivers on this forum,,, its not just one center. And no one is talking of giving up. We simply want the problem fixed instead of putting all the blame on the driver as if we are the problem. That because we run overallowed we are costing the company thousands.

slantnosechevy

I dont think sober said he was giving up, he just said he is still waiting as ALL of us are. I've been at UPS a few years longer than him and talk frequently to drivers in 17 different centers in 3 states and find this is a problem in all of them.
The old saying that figures lie and liars figure seems to hold water.

tourists24

I dont think sober said he was giving up, he just said he is still waiting as ALL of us are. I've been at UPS a few years longer than him and talk frequently to drivers in 17 different centers in 3 states and find this is a problem in all of them.
The old saying that figures lie and liars figure seems to hold water.
Well Pretzel, that makes at least 3 centers.... I have a sneaking suspicion there are many many more that feel the same way

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

Its the management team that is "giving up" when they knowingly and intentionally implement an impossible dispatch in order to generate a metric.

They are giving up on service, they are giving up on safety, and they are giving up on their obligation to honor the labor agreement and reduce excessive overtime.

One definition of insanity is to continue the same action over and over while expecting a different result. How long does one continue to beat one's head against a brick wall before realizing that it isnt the wall that is bleeding?

trickpony1

Its the management team that is "giving up" when they knowingly and intentionally implement an impossible dispatch in order to generate a metric.

They are giving up on service, they are giving up on safety, and they are giving up on their obligation to honor the labor agreement and reduce excessive overtime.

One definition of insanity is to continue the same action over and over while expecting a different result. How long does one continue to beat one's head against a brick wall before realizing that it isnt the wall that is bleeding?

The computer wouldn't let me give you positive rep.
Congrats on another Pulitzer Prize winning post!

pretzel_man

Sober,

In all due respect for you this time......

You said we cannot get it right in 23 years..... Look back at UPS 23 years ago.

We are a much bigger, stronger company than then. Our service levels are at the highest point in our history. More services, more options for customers....

Like it or not, (and I know that those here will NOT), the BC is not a random sample of UPS. I see a different UPS when I'm in centers.

I see great people. Great drivers, great management working very hard. I try to tell that story here. If people choose to hear what they want, then so be it.

BTW, I am a aware that you will say I hear what I want. Like most humans that is likely true. That doesn't make me or you right... Just another side.

pretzel_man

Pretzel,,, ask most drivers on this forum,,, its not just one center. And no one is talking of giving up. We simply want the problem fixed instead of putting all the blame on the driver as if we are the problem. That because we run overallowed we are costing the company thousands.

You have never heard me say the driver is the problem.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Our service levels are at the highest point in our history.

That is the part I have a hard time grasping. In no way, am I implying you are lying. I do not believe that is your character. I just see what I see. The customers I have interacted with are not happy with a different driver every day, different delivery times all over the spectrum, some days not at all. I realize you are taking the brunt of our questions and thank you for that.
I know I appreciate it. You offer valuable insight. Again, Thanks.

P.S. Your rep is now the same as the zipcode for Sackets Harbor, NY. Home of the owners of Funny Cide.:happy-very:

UnconTROLLed

perfection
The three buildings I have worked are all the same: and it is not happy faces prancing through beds of flowers (unless your on-car insists you briskly walk through a flowerbed to get to the delivery point faster)

By the way, that is a true story - an oncar recommended I walked through someones yard and through a nice bed to get to the front door , instead of using the driveway. Same on-car recommended drivers throw packages under 10 pounds to the front door instead of walking them the extra 10 feet.

Finally , that same oncar (while doing a safety ride) requested that when a driver is accelerating he/she is to accelerate as QUICKLY as possible to top speed. What is humorous is that the week later we had a "diad training module" where the tip was saving fuel, and drivers were told to NOT accelerate quickly, only very slowly and to save gas. lol

menotyou

bella amicizia
When you go to the airports to get your air, it astounds me the similar stories your hear from drivers. All from different centers, same district.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Sober,

In all due respect for you this time......

You said we cannot get it right in 23 years..... Look back at UPS 23 years ago.

We are a much bigger, stronger company than then. Our service levels are at the highest point in our history. More services, more options for customers....

Like it or not, (and I know that those here will NOT), the BC is not a random sample of UPS. I see a different UPS when I'm in centers.

I see great people. Great drivers, great management working very hard. I try to tell that story here. If people choose to hear what they want, then so be it.

BTW, I am a aware that you will say I hear what I want. Like most humans that is likely true. That doesn't make me or you right... Just another side.

That is the part I have a hard time grasping. In no way, am I implying you are lying. I do not believe that is your character. I just see what I see. The customers I have interacted with are not happy with a different driver every day, different delivery times all over the spectrum, some days not at all. I realize you are taking the brunt of our questions and thank you for that.
I know I appreciate it. You offer valuable insight. Again, Thanks.

P.S. Your rep is now the same as the zipcode for Sackets Harbor, NY. Home of the owners of Funny Cide.:happy-very:

P-man is right in that statistically our service is the highest it has ever been; however, ask any driver what their definition of service is and not one will mention statistics. All we see is a customer who is used to getting their delivery in the morning so that they can turn around and send it back out in the afternoon now unsure of when their delivery will be made and, in some cases, receiving their delivery after the pickup has already been made. Statistically we may have done what we said we were going to do but from a service standpoint we failed miserably.

pretzel_man

P-man is right in that statistically our service is the highest it has ever been; however, ask any driver what their definition of service is and not one will mention statistics. All we see is a customer who is used to getting their delivery in the morning so that they can turn around and send it back out in the afternoon now unsure of when their delivery will be made and, in some cases, receiving their delivery after the pickup has already been made. Statistically we may have done what we said we were going to do but from a service standpoint we failed miserably.

I was waiting for this one. Someone else posted something similar.

Yes, statistically our service is the best in history. It is measured per the service guide with a "no excuses" measurement.

So, a commercial customer that get a delivery sometimes at 11, sometimes at 2, sometimes before close is measured as meeting service. I don't know if there any any special measurement for commercial customers (they should be on the AM side of the trace)

This is why you see more and more special service times.... They become part of contracts.

I agree that the customer may not get the service they would like or the service you (or I) want to give. But its the service that is paid for.

This is a hard pill, but you must answer this question....

Who will pay for the service you want to provide?

The shipper? - They already think we are too expensive and want to pay less
The shareowner? - They have seen no growth in 10 years
Management? - People here already gloat over the poor management compensation
Hourlies? - Who here is standing up to recieve less

So, objectively our service levels are the highest in history measured electronically on every package. By the date and time promised.