Will they hire me for delivery driver?

I drove a class B delivery truck for 12 years, delivering newspaper to stores, supermarkets, convenience stores ect. Well the industry fell apart as we all know so I got cut along with 500 other drivers in 2009. I really didn't want to jump into another driving job so I got what i could, and that was a construction, non driving job that i have been doing since. Well I'm sick of not making enough money, and other things that aren't important. My question is would UPS hire me without having driven a truck in a few years? Does that 12 years count or the few years of not driving negate all that? I also want to ask this, do drivers work 12 hour days every single day or is that an exaggeration, meaning is it 60 hours every single week? Anyone know the starting pay for a delivery driver? Thanks guys, good to find a great website like this. I will appreciate any info, and help you may give.

I can only speak for the Vegas area. They will not hire you straight in as a driver. You have to come in as a part timer and get in line(and it's a long line).
Far as the pay for drivers i really can't speak on, but the driver trucks I do load average about 9.5-10hrs a day.

Hope this helps, I'm sure senior drivers will chime in also.

Thanks for the help. I was kinda afraid of that, but hey if that's how it works. So the few years off from driving wont hurt me, its just how it works. Thanks for the help. I only ask because a few years a ago a HR guy there was encouraging me to apply because of the years experience, but I never did.

packageguy

I was hired from the street, no preload. I came in lookng for work, I took a road test, passed it. They told me I start school on monday. That was about 20 years ago. So yes it could happen. right time right place.

I was hired from the street, no preload. I came in lookng for work, I took a road test, passed it. They told me I start school on monday. That was about 20 years ago. So yes it could happen. right time right place.
Thanks for the info. I have a question for ya. What is the road test like? On the roads or in the UPS parking lot? Also are all or most of the trucks automatic by now? We switched about 4 years into my career at the newspaper company. I don't have a problem driving a stick, but it might take a few minutes to get my feet under me in regards to driving a stick. Thanks for the info, and help.

packageguy

Thanks for the info. I have a question for ya. What is the road test like? On the roads or in the UPS parking lot? Also are all or most of the trucks automatic by now? We switched about 4 years into my career at the newspaper company. I don't have a problem driving a stick, but it might take a few minutes to get my feet under me in regards to driving a stick. Thanks for the info, and help.

They will take you in parking lot first just to see if you can handle the truck. You will drive a stick, When you get in truck just ask to get use to the clutch each truck in different. Some low some high after about 2 minutes you should be okay.

They will ask you to drive on a major busy street. Back into a dock. It will be fun, as long as you know how to drive. Take them for a ride......good luck

Thanks for the info, appreciate it. Let me ask you littleboybrown, how many hours a day or per week do you work? Don't mind doing 50 or 60 but not 60 every single week. Thanks again for the help.