Windows 10

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I just installed Windows 10 today and I'm lovin' it. Much like how Windows 7 was just Vista done right...Windows 10 is Windows 8 done right.

It's fast and responsive, supports touch screen if you have one but isn't touch centric like Windows 8 was. I love how the windows don't have the extra border on them anymore. It is a really clean look.

Windows 10 will be officially released late next Spring or early summer. A beta preview for consumers will be available next April, or if you're a little too techie you can try the Technical preview (designed primarily for system administrators and IT professionals)

212cx8y.jpg

oldngray

nowhere special
Win 10 looks pretty good. A big step forward (or backwards depending on your point of view). Its what Win 8 should have been. I don't see it any better than Win 8.1 with Classic Shell though (but it IS kind of similar). And Microsoft still won't drop the idea that one OS should be used in everything from phones to PCs. That was why Win 8 was so bad. A desktop is not a phone or tablet and when they try to make apps that work on everything its the least common denominator, so it ends up as a phone app trying to run on a desktop. A good OS should just run in the background with you barely noticing it, not be something that hits you in the face every time you try to do something. Microsoft did testing and ignored feedback from users because they had already decided what they were going to do anyway. Kind of like ORION at UPS.

oldngray

nowhere special
486? That was one of the first PCs I was exposed to. First computer I ever used was a Commodore64 in 1983. Then was the 286 and then 486 that my Uncle had. Then later the Apple II and IIc (only good for Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy lol).

I still have my C-64 too. It had the worst floppy drive ever made. But that was still better than using the cassette drive.

oldngray

nowhere special
Yeah I remember how loud it was.

Check this out:

I have one of the early ones that had the same size DIN plug for the power supply as for a monitor. It was later changed so one plug was 8 pin and the other was 5 pin so people wouldn't accidentally fry their computer.