Windows 7

M

MaryE

Ok no comments / interest in Ghost.

How about Windows 7?

Has any one built or experinced a new DS ground up Windows 7 workstation yet?

XP is on SP3 and Windows 2000 is sun setting / going away this year in the company.

Vista fizzled like ME did.

Windows 7 seems ok so far, but it will take some getting use to.

Deeohem

It's partially out of Beta. It's only for non-production systems right now and I think there's a couple other rules in place, but that's it. I'm semi-seriously considering rebuilding my system. I'm kind of curious to see if we are going to move away from the Windows Classic Theme and Start menu. Wonder what new features we had to learn about for external support won't exist on the internal side

randomUPSISer

Ive experienced a corporate W7 build. Its mostly stripped down to the minimum much like XP was for internal use.

Most app groups have tested, or are currently testing their applications for W7 as well. Our group is done and has been for at least a month now. I think the deadline for certifying apps for W7 was april or so of 2010.

I love W7 at home. Cant wait to get off of XP at work.

AirTechSpec

They still don't have an Oracle 11g client package in our area, meaning we can't even test some of our VB6 apps. Not that we think they're going to work! :laughing: It's definite that the development environment won't work on W7.

For the last couple of years they've had us fill out a survey about our VB6 programs and how much to replace them. Every time it comes out to be 100K+ lines of code, and multiple thousands of work-hours. Every time so far not much has been done about it. We've been migrating apps to Java/C#, but not most of the VB6. Hiding our heads in the sand.

YoungSwamp

I just got a Win 7 computer built for me... It is a departure from the XP Classic View. Really nice so far. Thinking about getting another computer built with Win 7 on it.

M

MaryE

I have always respected the company as one who stays on the cutting edge of technology.
The development people and management in NJ are outstanding.
From our networks to our workstations we have the best.
I felt so sorry for those that had to develop and certify Vista.
I have Windows 7 at home. I miss some of the views of XP, but I am learning 7 slowly.
It is so much more stable than XP. And that is saying a lot as XP was a very good OS.
Like XP, 7 will be a slow migration. Our support TSG told us that we can not have it on
our current workstations as it does not have a 7 license. The HP CPU came with a XP and Vista
license and Corporate NJ has not authorized it on our workstations. So we might have to
wait 4 to 6 years for the workstation to die first. :sad-little: By then Windows 8 will be out.
I remember having Windows 2000 and the TSG upgrading to XP even though it had a Windows 2000 license on the workstation.
Oh well....

whiskeyagogo

Vista fizzled like ME did.

Vista rocks - I was fortunate to have a corporate build for the past few months and have loved it.

As for rolling out Windows 7, it's going to be slow (as always).

What's really sad is UPS still allowing IE 6 in the enterprise. If you don't know why that's bad, just google 'ie 6 funeral'.

randomUPSISer

They still don't have an Oracle 11g client package in our area, meaning we can't even test some of our VB6 apps. Not that we think they're going to work! :laughing: It's definite that the development environment won't work on W7.

For the last couple of years they've had us fill out a survey about our VB6 programs and how much to replace them. Every time it comes out to be 100K+ lines of code, and multiple thousands of work-hours. Every time so far not much has been done about it. We've been migrating apps to Java/C#, but not most of the VB6. Hiding our heads in the sand.

If it makes you feel any better this is rather typical. Management runs in circles creating surveys and such for the "VB6 migration", then ends up with some outrageous number saying its going to cost so many millions of dollars to do because we dont have the resources. (Despite the vb6 support team often sitting around bored because the vb6 apps are stable) Then management gets scared (???) and decides that in-action is the best action.

Seems like a repeating cycle thats been happening ever since .net was released. I guess they think if they ignore it long enough it'll just go away and solve itself? I'm rather certain vb6 isnt going to run on Windows OS's forever....

M

MaryE

Vista rocks - I was fortunate to have a corporate build for the past few months and have loved it.

As for rolling out Windows 7, it's going to be slow (as always).

What's really sad is UPS still allowing IE 6 in the enterprise. If you don't know why that's bad, just google 'ie 6 funeral'.

Not trying to bad mouth Vista. Sorry. If you have enough CPU and ram it was ok.
I agree on IE6, but we have a lot of production web sites still using 6.
Change is slow, but it is going forward with much thought and testing.