Winter tires

oldupsman

Last March we had a snow storm, Get a text from sup saying report to work at 10:00 am. Drive all the way to building, and sup says they are not sending drivers out. I said I am here and want my 8 hours. Was told they couldn't do anything. I filed a my grievance and last week the BA said there is no way I will win it, so he had me sign a paper saying I dropped it. I will never, ever drive into work again if there is any snow on the ground. I hope it snows its tail off during peak.

You're B.A. sucks.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
My tires are almost bald right now. I have been communicating with my mechanic about replacing them with some half-worn spares to get me by until mid-November. My problem is that I burn off a set of back tires about every 5 months so its a challenge to time replacements for winter. Usually though, I can get them to put fresh rubber on for me every November, and put my half-worn tires onto a car with a city route.

Packmule

Yup....the sandbags break in the back of the truck....and the floor is sandy till May.
We raise Cain about decent tires, but the sand tubes are our own choice and responsibility. Wrapping them in duct tape helps a lot. I carry 800 lbs worth and get told by cover drivers my 700 is like a 4wd compared to other trucks. Still seems half worthless to me, but I guess they help way more than I realize.

Packmule

Over my 34 years, I think I only had three different mechanics. I got along well with all three, I pretty much only ran rural routes and all would hold off giving me new tires in the fall until late October. Most years, I'd get new rears again in late January.
Used to be I'd prefer they wait til mid to late October, but last few years we are having much more sever winters that start rediculously early. Like this last week. Supposed to be back in the 80s this week.
I support global warming!

Packmule

Where the hell are you getting 4" mid September? Alaska?

I'm in Massachusetts where we get good snow and we don't get snow tires.
Perhaps you don't ask for them. Try it, by writing it up. The liability level it creates for the company motivates them. Slowly, to be sure, but they usually get them on an oh what a difference.

UPSGUY72

Perhaps you don't ask for them. Try it, by writing it up. The liability level it creates for the company motivates them. Slowly, to be sure, but they usually get them on an oh what a difference.

That isn't happening there are over 120 +/- routes in the the building I'm in and 25 +/- in the other 2 building in my area. Probably 200+ cars they aren't changing out 200+ sets of summer tire for winter tires.

They have chains, sand and traction mats that you can take if you think your going to need them. they people that deliver in the hills know the tricks on where they can leave the package for people or they just keep bringing them back and UPS sends a Post Card.

Whether you have snow tire or not doesn't really matter if you going to keep putting yourself in bad situation by making bad choices.