With all the national news reporting about this , still teamsters websight ,twitter,etc silet

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
You have to wonder if just maybe the Company and the International are having talks on the down-low to resolve this issue.

alwaysoverallowed

I think it's more likely that the ibt is going to use this as an excuse to take over 804. I don't know if they can, I don't even know if the constitution allows it because I haven't read it thoroughly, but at this rate the ibt is going to look worse at the end no matter what.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
No, this situation is a PR nightmare for both sides. You know they want to spin it so both come out looking like they did the right thing.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
No, this situation is a PR nightmare for both sides. You know they want to spin it so both come out looking like they did the right thing.
Thing is everyone knows about this now , in this day and age you go to google , type in teamsters , bam. They have 0 to say on biggest issue in 20 years.....

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I really haven't seen anything from Atlanta either (at least not linked here).

Makes me wonder.

OptimusPrime

Wasn't this essentially a wildcat strike? Not saying there is not a time and place for one, but with the economy being as it is. not good timing.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What benefit would there be for both the Union and Company to play this out in the media?

There is no doubt that they are working behind the scenes to resolve the issue; unfortunately this will be of little benefit to the 250 who will all eventually permanently lose their jobs.

This has nothing to do with the company trying to save a few $$$. Had the drivers in question done the right thing we wouldn't be having this discussion. They instead chose to walk and the Company is making good on their threat to fire them all. Any waffling by the Company at this point would set a dangerous precedent.

How can Liam continue to go to work each day knowing that his careless actions resulted in 250 people losing their jobs?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
What benefit would there be for both the Union and Company to play this out in the media?

There is no doubt that they are working behind the scenes to resolve the issue; unfortunately this will be of little benefit to the 250 who will all eventually permanently lose their jobs.

This has nothing to do with the company trying to save a few $$$. Had the drivers in question done the right thing we wouldn't be having this discussion. They instead chose to walk and the Company is making good on their threat to fire them all. Any waffling by the Company at this point would set a dangerous precedent.

How can Liam continue to go to work each day knowing that his careless actions resulted in 250 people losing their jobs?
Liam is not a deity. 250 drivers made the conscious choice to walk out and stay outside. Nobody coerced or forced them. I respect what they did, and the reasons behind it. However, the blame shouldn't rest squarely on Liam's shoulders..whatever happened to personal responsibility??

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Zero talk across the river. Union guys were here. I thought they would call a meeting and explain, but nothing.

oldngray

nowhere special
Maybe there are talks behind closed doors and the plan is to let UPS win by firing everybody then after the public attention dies down let the drivers get their jobs back after arbitration with loss of pay.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
FWIW, I was told by a few in management here (in NJ) that word is that not all 250 are bring fired, that the number is closer to 150.

I don't put much stock in what either side says, I just know that this is a bad situation.

oldngray

nowhere special
FWIW, I was told by a few in management here (in NJ) that word is that not all 250 are bring fired, that the number is closer to 150.

I don't put much stock in what either side says, I just know that this is a bad situation.

It wouldn't surprise me if the management didn't know either but I do agree UPS will use it as an opportunity to thin the herd of troublemakers and the rest will be afraid to stand up for themselves. Although UPS might bite the bullet and get rid of everyone. Service would take a huge hit for months to years but the new UPS doesn't care about service. Save a buck and blame the Teamsters.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular

I was talking with a member of the 804 board this week. He thinks it will be 50 or 60 of the "problem children." But it's just like UPS to cut off its nose to spite its face...so it's anyone's guess.